“We will be back!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Family Meal

Family Meal
Reserve with OpenTable
Family Meal is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 398 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Chef Bryan Voltaggio's modern American diner offers affordable all-day meals in a former Frederick car dealership transformed by clever design and raw, natural materials into an open, airy space, with a long counter fronting an open kitchen; its menu elevates the comfort-food canon, while adult beverages include boozy milkshakes as well as wine, beer and cocktails. Signature dishes include Fried Chicken with Buttermilk Biscuits, Meatloaf with Mushroom Gravy and Duck Fat Fried Potatoes.
Lovettsville, Virginia
“We will be back!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2014

My party of 2 enjoyed a late lunch during the week at Family Meal. The menu is limited but the food was delicious. The service was very good and the atmosphere is OK for a casual restaurant. I would describe the atmosphere as cold with its cement floors and stark decor. The view from the large windows is of warehouses and run down buildings. I wouldn't let the decor or view stop you from eating there, however. The scallop appetizer was excellent. We had two sandwiches, the bacon cheeseburger and the shrimp po boy and a chocolate milk shake. The sandwiches were excellent and the milk shake was very good and a reasonable size for an adult. There is a child's menu and a table next to us had an impatient toddler that the waitress was able to please very quickly with her grilled cheese sandwich. The entire lunch with two drinks was $43.50 excluding tip. This was our first visit to Family Meal but we are looking forward to going back to sample more of the menu.

• 2 of 5 bubbles

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great Casual Restaurant worth the drive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

We live about 25 miles south of Frederick, MD; but had heard about this great place. We made a reservation for lunch, & were glad we did. The place was packed. The atmosphere is casual & clever. We sat in a booth & were greeted quickly. We shared a salad, had sandwiches ( hamburger & shrimp po boy) and shared an order of fried potatoes. The food was outstanding. As an example you could taste that Bryan Voltaggio went the extra mile in frying the shrimp in the po boy. The price was very fair for great quality. Well worth the 30 minute drive. Another Volt success.

Frederick, Maryland
“OMG”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

Great food! And it's a lot of food! The menu is not too big but you won't be disappointed with your selection. The desserts were very good also. Everything seems to be homemade. It's a can't miss!

Bluffton, South Carolina
“If I Lived Close I'd Be A Regular”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

When this place opened in a converted automobile showroom several years ago, it created quite a buzz. People were driving up from the Washington D.C. area for dinner. There is a definite "diner car meets auto showroom" vibe with shear glass walls, mod chrome and wood furnishings, and a concrete floor. It's a lot like that memorable "Mad Men" scene where Don takes Megan to dinner at a HoJo's Travelodge. There is a very long L-shaped counter with stools where a single diner could enjoy a gourmet dinner without feeling awkward. Food items are organic and locally sourced. The dinner menu was eclectic enough to suit diverse tastes but trim enough to allow the chef a signature take on each dish. Our breakfast included homemade hot sauce with just the right amount of heat, and homemade strawberry jam high on flavor instead of sugar. The breakfast sandwich was piled high with thin layers of egg, bacon, cheese, and chorizo mayo similar to the way a pastrami sandwich is piled high at an authentic deli. Bottom line--if I lived close, I would be a regular; but I don't think I'd drive in special from out of town.

Martinsburg, West Virginia, United States
“REALLY Good fried chicken!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

I went here Friday night with 3 other friends and it was quite an experience! I got the fried chicken because I heard it was awesome. I'm not a huge fan of fried chicken in general, but I do have to sa that this was probably the best fried chicken I've ever had.

The french fries that they have come with 3 dipping sauces which were great! The fries were covered in garlic, Parmesan, sugar and cinnamon, so needless to say those were probably the best fries I've ever had.

The biscuits that came with the chicken were so buttery, cheesy and delicious!

The other guests in my party had the hamburger, which he said was okay and the meatloaf which was "bland".

Overall the food and service was very good and I look forward to coming back soon.

• Visited April 2014