“Good food and service”
Review of Family Meal

Family Meal
Reserve with OpenTable
Family Meal is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 409 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Chef Bryan Voltaggio's modern American diner offers affordable all-day meals in a former Frederick car dealership transformed by clever design and raw, natural materials into an open, airy space, with a long counter fronting an open kitchen; its menu elevates the comfort-food canon, while adult beverages include boozy milkshakes as well as wine, beer and cocktails. Signature dishes include Fried Chicken with Buttermilk Biscuits, Meatloaf with Mushroom Gravy and Duck Fat Fried Potatoes.
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We visited Family Meal after many high recommendations from area foodies. Which is why I'm puzzled at the negative and lukewarm reviews on here.

When we visited at lunchtime during Christmas week we were unable to get a table without a reservation, therefore we ate at the bar. This was great because we got to see the service and kitchen, which were highly organized and professional.

My group ordered the chicken, in addition to the mac & cheese, duck fat fries, a crabcake sandwich, and an omelet. We also ordered drinks from their collection of local craft beers. Everything was well-made and delicious. The crabcake was not a true "Maryland style" crabcake with no filler, but it was typical of one you would find elsewhere and tasty. The fries came with several dipping sauces, although I didn't get any duck flavor from them. The mac & cheese was good, and the chicken was moist and tender. I didn't eat the omelet, however the home fries served with it were wonderful.

In all, the service was good and so was the food. I would return soon if they weren't so far away. The prices were about what I would expect for the area and the type of restaurant.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Went to this restaurant with wife and DD for dinner 2 nights ago. I ordered salmon, wife ordered shrimp with grit, DD ordered braised pork for the entrees. They were all very good. The service was very good as well. The interior decor can be improved though, also need more light in the parking lot.

Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

First time here with a large group. Service was impeccable and the tall manager (I think his name was Stephen) was very friendly and helpful recommending specific items on the menu. I had the fried chicken and it was the best ever. Seriously, it's that good. Everyone was pleased with the eclectic menu and their food. Overall great place and good price. Beer selection is excellent too. I would come back again.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Went for a group dinner at a friend's recommendation. I felt like the food was very overpriced and of average quality. I had the fried chicken. It was good, not the best I've ever had, but good. I had the duck fat fries, again good but not mind blowing (and could they call it something other than duck fat?). I had the sweet potato pie, NOT GOOD! I also order tea. My bill-$34 for one person, mediocre food, and no alcohol. My friend saw the owner and was so exicted because he was there and he is a celebrity chef, and said, "Oh this is so exciting! Maybe he'll stop by our table" to which I replied "great! cause I'd like to have a word with him about this pie. I have a recipe he should consider because this is terrible."

Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

My first visit was here during the soft opening and the food was amazing. Every time since has been disappointing :( I so wanted this place to be stellar. My last visit was the worst and doubt I will return. The food was average at best and overpriced for average. The service was great at first and went downhill as dinner went on.