“Thanks to Bryan Voltaggio for this jewel”
Review of Family Meal

Family Meal
Reserve with OpenTable
Family Meal is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 409 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Chef Bryan Voltaggio's modern American diner offers affordable all-day meals in a former Frederick car dealership transformed by clever design and raw, natural materials into an open, airy space, with a long counter fronting an open kitchen; its menu elevates the comfort-food canon, while adult beverages include boozy milkshakes as well as wine, beer and cocktails. Signature dishes include Fried Chicken with Buttermilk Biscuits, Meatloaf with Mushroom Gravy and Duck Fat Fried Potatoes.
Reviewed December 21, 2013

We came on a quest for the duck-fat fries and found much, much more to get excited about! The space is airy and has high design value. Family friendly--lots of people dining with children. We had no trouble getting a reservation for four for Saturday lunch/brunch. Nice assortment of beers on tap, attentive but not hovering service, and the food--the glorious food! Duck-fat fries lived up to their reputation and served with three dipping sauces. The fried chicken was excellent and served in a super-cute chicken-shaped dish. The shrimp and grits with andouille really stole the show, though! The Earl Grey donut dessert was a delight. We did experience a bit of confusion with a beer order, but the staff sorted it right away. Considering the quality of the food, we found the prices reasonable.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

I had dinner at Family Meal the other night. Overall, not what I expected for a restaurant with it's reputation with Voltaggio's name associated. The place was cool. Neat concept. The service was great. Food, eh... The devil egg appetizers were tasty as well as the chicken pot pie poppers. The entrees.... That's what were disappointing. First off, small. The lasagna was good, but nothing special. The kids spaghetti was average. The meatloaf was the most salty thing I've ever tasted. My parents got that and couldn't finish it. The manager was kind and removed them from the bill at least. But, overall, quite disappointing. I would maybe give it another chance, but with so many other better options in Frederick, it may never get another chance from me.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

We arrived at 11:30 and the lunch menu was available at this time. 2 people ordered omelets and hashbrowns, 1 had a burger and duck fat fries, one had a crab cake and the last had French onion soup and onion rings. Everyone loved their choices and the portions were not too big. Very nice lunch location. It was very busy by the time we left at 12:30, so get there early for faster service. Waitstaff were very pleasant and accommodating!

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Enjoyed a very good lunch here with my son recently. We've been here before and always want to return to try new things. We shared the chicken pot pie fritters (recommendation of server) and they were yummy! My son had the fabulous kale salad and the deviled eggs--just okay. I had a scrumptious vegetable bisque which I don't see on the menu for December. I would return just for that wonderful soup. Very good-- attentive service! Kept my water glass full--kudos for that because I drink a lot of water and usually have to ask for refills. Oh --the iced tea --I could order that to go--fantastic! We will be back!

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Chef Voltaggio introduced a few new menu items at his Family Meal restaurant on Nov. 22. One of them was the French Onion Soup. This one item is worth going to this restaurant for! The croutons are cooked in duck fat - the soup has noticeable pieces of succulent beef short rib, the onions at perfect both in quantity and quality, the cheese is definitely not from individually wrapped slices (never understood why that's a selling point) - Upon serving, this bowl simply looks wonderful. The first spoonful tells you that creating this bowl of soup took time and attention until it was just right. In two words: Rich, Delicious!
Everything else we had, the Hoecakes with pimento and bacon, the Beet salad and the cheeseburger were also wonderful!
If you haven't been, you gotta go!

1  Thank Jon P