“Sometimes it is about more than the food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Family Meal

Family Meal
Reserve with OpenTable
Family Meal is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 398 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Chef Bryan Voltaggio's modern American diner offers affordable all-day meals in a former Frederick car dealership transformed by clever design and raw, natural materials into an open, airy space, with a long counter fronting an open kitchen; its menu elevates the comfort-food canon, while adult beverages include boozy milkshakes as well as wine, beer and cocktails. Signature dishes include Fried Chicken with Buttermilk Biscuits, Meatloaf with Mushroom Gravy and Duck Fat Fried Potatoes.
Middletown, Maryland
“Sometimes it is about more than the food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

My family and I have been to Family Meal several times and always enjoyed our experience, but I wanted to write this review based on a visit from my 16 year old son and his girlfriend. After my son got his driver's license, this was the first place he took his girlfriend on a date. Unfortunately, they got lost and didn't arrive at the restaurant until after closing time. The manager not only allowed them to be served, but was very gracious to them
coming over several times to visit and bringing them a sample of their milkshakes. They were over the moon. What impresses me so much about this scenario is that I would have understood if they were turned away. I am sure the check wasn't much, they split a burger, fries, and some mac and cheese, but the excellent service made them feel valued and they have proclaimed Family Meal their favorite restaurant. They also love the artsy design touches. Good job cultivating long term customers.

• Visited August 2013

Rockville, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious, Afordable, Fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

I have visited Family Meal twice now, and both experiences were wonderful and fun. I have to say that I am enjoying the trend of comfort food done well. Yes, I know fried chicken is good, but it's nice to have it done right in a restaurant. I have had several of the dish...adult milk shakes AWESOME! Sorry the pictures are half eaten meal, but I start eating before I remember to snap a photo. Fun because everyone was very friendly but not intrusive.

“Average for the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Took some friends to Family Meal. We expected an excellent meal but found it average. My wife had the hotcakes which were dry with only a dusting of the peaches and granola that were advertised; I had the "must have" fried chicken which wasn't..have had better at KFC the biscuits that came with it didn't come with either butter or honey; friends had fish tacos, pea soup, tomatoes salad which they liked but didn't love. Also had ice tea but had to ask for sweetner and no salt or pepper on the small table. To be fair my son loves the fried chicken salad sandwich. I might go again to give it another shoot but not anytime soon.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Newark, Delaware
“Wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

Went here because it's the same on owner as Volt and we expected upscale gourmet.
We were not disappointed! Went for breakfast TWICE. Expensive for breakfast but well worth it.
Our server talked me into an Old Bay Bloody Mary. All she had to say was they use fresh local tomatoes. The best Bloody Mary I've ever had. Not too thick and not watery. Fresh squeezed orange juice too. Corn beef hash was out of this world. Wife had orange pancakes with brandied or bourbon peaches. Can't remember which. Just a hint of orange and just enough peaches. Sorry we never had time to get there for lunch/dinner.

Baltimore, Maryland
“Rather disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

I was so looking forward to Family Meal, after hearing of the wonderful reviews of the Volt family of restaurants. Four of us came in after a nice hike in the Catoctin Mountain Park. We were looking forward to enjoying what appeared to be some very unique creative ways to prepare and serve healthy foods. When we were seated, we were provided with room-temperature water in rather small plain glasses and no bread or crackers of any kind. I started out with a tomato salad which was very nice with its wonderful mint dressing albeit skimpy for its $8.99 price. Two others had the Beet Salad, which was also very tasty but skimpy. Our 4th member had the deviled eggs, only after first being given a salad in error. By the time the deviled eggs arrives the rest of us had nearly finished our salads, I know we should have waited, but with no bread on the table, it was hard for hungry diners to stair at food for too long without diving in. Now I very rarely eat Fried Chicken, due to its high calorie and fat content although I couldn't resist after seeing so many of the other diners munching on the Fried Chicken Dinner out of the fancy ceramic serving baskets. To my disappointment however, the batter offered very little flavor, lacked crispiness, and wouldn't stay on the chicken! The dish included a full half chicken, one each breast, wing, leg and thigh, with two very nice biscuits and a small assortment of very nicely done pickles. However, the breast meat was tough; not what I expected from a quality restaurant. The other main dishes ordered included had a Crab cake, Shrimp and Grits, and the Macaroni and Cheese. We also ordered the Crispy Brussel Sprouts and Sauteed Spinach. The crab cake looked good, but didn't have any accompaniment. The Shrimp and Grits was "very good", however we expected the Mac and Cheese to be excellent and it was simply fair (The Mac and Cheese at the Stowe Mountain Resort in Stowe, VT is still our favorite). In fact, below the top layer of cheese and macaroni, was pretty much plain macaroni. The Brussel sprouts were small and over cooked. I'm not a great chef myself, but I do a better job at home. The Spinach was very nice, although again one the small side. Our friends shared a piece of cheese cake with a raspberry topping that seemed very nice and my SO and I shared one of the "Adult Milkshakes", containing bourbon soaked crunchy morsels and lovely creaminess, but at $11.00 it should have been 50% larger. The wait staff was very nice although the time between our salad course and main course was way longer than acceptable. I really wanted to walk away feeling very glad to have visited Family Meal, but that was not the case. Our dinner tab, which also included 2 glasses of red wine and 1 cocktail came to over $200 for the four of us with tip. Sorry. I don't plan to come back because although the setting was very nice and chic, there were just too many short comings.

• Visited August 2013