“Great Food but Over-Attentive Server”
Review of Family Meal

Family Meal
Reserve with OpenTable
Family Meal is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 405 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Chef Bryan Voltaggio's modern American diner offers affordable all-day meals in a former Frederick car dealership transformed by clever design and raw, natural materials into an open, airy space, with a long counter fronting an open kitchen; its menu elevates the comfort-food canon, while adult beverages include boozy milkshakes as well as wine, beer and cocktails. Signature dishes include Fried Chicken with Buttermilk Biscuits, Meatloaf with Mushroom Gravy and Duck Fat Fried Potatoes.
Frederick, Maryland, Usa
“Great Food but Over-Attentive Server”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

About everything Chef Bryan Voltaggio creates in the kitchen is fabulous. This restaurant, located in an updated building that used to be a car dealership, has found and perfected that niche between the old diner and the upscale restaurant.
Highlights: Breakfast all day; real good cocktails and several beers on tap; many items meant to be shared; fabulous desserts and adult milkshakes. Very kid friendly. Plenty of parking.
Everything is delicious. Bit-sized chicken pot pie fritters are simply amazing. The beet salad is wonderful and made me fall in love with beets! Think you don't like Brussels sprouts? Try them here and you will order them again. Real good salads.
Entrees include, among other things, beef, seafood, pork and pasta. Everything is prepared to order. Desserts are creative spins on classics and worth having.
A minor distraction - I've been to this restaurant many time and think the service is top notch but this last visit, the service of too attentive and came by the table more than I cared for. He also would ask "How are 'we' enjoying the food"; I never warm to that style. Unless he's going to join us for dinner, it's him and us, there is no 'we'.
I'll keep coming back to Family meal especially since I can have just a sandwich at the counter or a full-blown sit down meal.

1 Thank Jon P

“Amazing, simple, elegant”
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

My son & I were here for a quick meal. Not your run of the mill menu, yet something familiar.
Having been to Europe I love the fact that they have cold cold water without ice.
Absolutely loved the grits with shrimp. It was perfect, creamy and delicious.
My son loved the pasta with mini scallops.

Visited July 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
“Like eating at grandma's but with amazing cocktails.”
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

My first adventure to any of Kevin Voltaggio's restaurants and I must say it did not disappoint! We drank our way through multiple cocktails, with the Orange Blossom being my favorite. The chicken pot pie fritter are to die for, so much that we ordered a second round. I also love any restaurant that I can get home style deviled eggs, nom! Two of our group had the fried chicken, which has hints of old bay, and the other two of us shared the mac & cheese, goat gemelli, crispy brussel sprouts and field greens. I again, love a reason to get adult mac & cheese. The night was finished off with the adult mint chocolate chip milkshake, which were dangerously good. All in all, would totally head back and look forward to trying more of the Volt family of restaurants.

Santa Barbara, California, USA
“Don't Let The Name Fool You”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We have tried the sister, brother restaurant in DC, the Range, which gets great press, but we actually enjoyed the food here and the casual atmosphere more. We had a delicious beet salad, a fantastic crab cake appetizer, and pork and shrimp and grits for the main course. We had a spunky and well informed server. You felt that you had gone to a chef's restaurant...each dish had its unique flavors and textures. We will definitely come back a few times so we can work our way through the menu. We went on a Monday evening and there was plenty of room at 7:00, but I would call for a reservation regardless. This a a great product!!!!

Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States
“What a Joke”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I went there for the first time last night and I feel like I got ripped off. First off the place is run in the most inefficient way possible. They have empty tables but they still make people wait for 10-15 minutes and eventually seat them at the tables that were empty the whole time. The next thing that bothered me was the fact that they have the open bottles of water in a tub where the people are waiting for their tables. Keep in mind these are the bottles that they take to peoples tables to fill the water glasses. There are people standing within inches of these bottles with their butts right next to them and kids reaching in to play with the bottles. If that's not bad enough the servers pick up the bottles and hold them up against various parts of their bodies (I saw one server holding an open bottle of water up against her armpit) when they bring them to the table.

OK, I can overlook all of that if the food is good but it wasn't anything special. I ended up paying $26 for a pulled pork sandwich and a side of french fries. I wasn't about to drink the water so I ordered lemonade which I found out later was made fresh for each glass and they charges $2 per glass. That's a bit pricey for a a 6 oz glass of water, lemon and sugar.

The person I was with got the burger and didn't like it at all. That was $13 for a hamburger that didn't include any sides at all.

This place is way over priced and not that good and the staff really needs a lesson in restaurant management. I won't be going back.....ever.

2 Thank Marc L