“Loved it!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Family Meal

Family Meal
Reserve with OpenTable
Family Meal is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 398 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Chef Bryan Voltaggio's modern American diner offers affordable all-day meals in a former Frederick car dealership transformed by clever design and raw, natural materials into an open, airy space, with a long counter fronting an open kitchen; its menu elevates the comfort-food canon, while adult beverages include boozy milkshakes as well as wine, beer and cocktails. Signature dishes include Fried Chicken with Buttermilk Biscuits, Meatloaf with Mushroom Gravy and Duck Fat Fried Potatoes.
Clarksburg, Maryland, United States
“Loved it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

Saturday, February 9th was our first visit to this new resturant. If you didnt know that it was there you would drive right past it!
I loved the fact that you "share" the sides. We had the roasted brussel sprouts and the mac and cheese.
The sprouts were wonderful, the mac and cheese was your basic so while good nothing to write home about.
I had the rockfish which was so tender and the rissotto was really tasty. My boyfriend had the fried chicken which was moist, not dry and not over battered. Again another hit!
We cant wait to go back and try some of the other entrees and maybe even breakfast!
The down home feeling, the knowledgeable staff and the fact that all of the food is home made and can be adjusted to your liking made for a wonderful dining experience!

• Visited February 2013

Manchester, MD
“Family Meal worth the trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

After finding the restaurant,we were seated quickly. My husband started with the fried liver appetizer, which he enjoyed immensely. They were served over a Bed of risotto and greens. Not a liver lover, I started with a Cesar sAlad with Kale an unusual pairing but light and delicious .

My husband selected the fried chicken as his entree and I chose the mushroom Rissota. We shared the Mac n cheese so I could really carb load ! Each of these dishes was excellent...chicken fried to perfection and the rissoto seasoned beautifully with shaved Parmesan cheese and mushrooms.

Too full for desert. Well be back.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
“Overpriced for the quality”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

I went to the Family Meal for lunch with my husband. The atmosphere was nice with a very casual environment. We ordered the cheeseburger, fried chicken and fries. I asked for my burger well done and it arrived burnt, almost inedible. My husband's fried chicken was very salty, it seems the brine they used was full of salt. The canola fries were good. I would have ordered the omelet but it was $11 and I didn't think it was worth it for eggs with no sides. The menu was very limited, I would probably not go back.

• Visited January 2013
NotAppalachia
“Good food, and plenty of it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed an early dinner here and took leftovers home. I'm astounded by the reviews that complain about portion sizes - the deviled egg app is 4 halves with rich fillings and the pimento cheese is a soup-bowl that could feed four easily. Both were very tasty, although the pickled veggies that accompanied the pimento cheese stole the show. The fried chicken dinner was divine, crispy and tasty but not over-salty. There were four pieces and three biscuits, with some more pickles. DH got a bowl of venison chili which he deemed very good, and another healthy portion. We also ordered duck fat fries to share, which made for way too much food.

I wouldn't order the fries again - not thin and crispy enough for me. Everything else was good enough for a second try, except for the other items I'd like to try. Service was attentive and we enjoyed the modern diner vibe of the space. We will be back.

Frederick, Maryland
“Unedible food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was the second trip to Family Meal and we were very disappointed in our food and drinks. We love Voltagio's other restaurant, Volt, but Family Meal is too pretentious and over priced. Our latest experience was to basically horrible. I ordered the venison chili and my wife the fried chicken. The chili was so salty I couldn't eat it and my wife felt that the chicken, while cooked correctly, was too salty as well. As for the drinks, my wife had a special cocktail called The Bees Knees. It was only fair. Because I couldn't eat the chili, they did offer to get me something else and not charge for the chili, reasonable. So, I ordered another special drink, the Hot Toddy. It was not what I expected, but beyond what I feel would be normal ingredients, this tasted like liquid cloves. Totally undrinkable, in my opinion and my wife's, as well. Don't think we'll return again.

• Visited January 2013