“Overpriced, but worth it.”
Review of Family Meal

Family Meal
Reserve with OpenTable
Family Meal is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 405 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Chef Bryan Voltaggio's modern American diner offers affordable all-day meals in a former Frederick car dealership transformed by clever design and raw, natural materials into an open, airy space, with a long counter fronting an open kitchen; its menu elevates the comfort-food canon, while adult beverages include boozy milkshakes as well as wine, beer and cocktails. Signature dishes include Fried Chicken with Buttermilk Biscuits, Meatloaf with Mushroom Gravy and Duck Fat Fried Potatoes.
Reviewed July 29, 2012

My wife and I went for lunch and got two sandwiches and two sides. I got an egg salad sandwich and she got a cucumber avocado sandwich. We also got mashed potatoes and fries. The cuke/avocado sandwich was awesome and egg salad was average. Both sides were excellent with the mashed potatoes being amazing! The service was very good. They had a lot of employees working. Most restaurants serve fries or chips with a sandwich so when you pay 7 and 9 dollars for a small sandwich, you know your bill will be quite expensive, especially for lunch. Our total was $25 without drinks. The same items elsewhere would be about half price although the quality at Family Meal is definitely better. If the prices were better, we would probably go to this place weekly. We plan to go back one night for a beer and appetizers. I can't wait to try the Mac and Cheese!

There are newer reviews for Family Meal

Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

My sister and I went on a Thurs eve... Quite crowded, but we got seats at the bar right away. Sis had gone previously with our Mom, but left after sitting a good half hour without even being given a menu. Service at the bar was "ok", certainly nothing special. The restaurant was hot and noisy. The food? Sis had the pastrami sandwich, which she described as "very disappointing.". It was thin and the bread was hard. It didn't even look good. I had fried chicken, nice serving size (4 pieces) which was perfectly cooked (juicy with crispy skin) but unfortunately was almost flavorless! The braised greens we shared were much too salty. We would not go back or recommend it.

1  Thank Butterbeet
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The mac and cheese here is awesome. The salmon is also really good, but was wayyyy too salty the second time I had it, and the piece you get is kind of small for the price. The fried chicken platter is delicious too and fried just right. The deviled eggs were just OK. I think the filling is lacking flavor. Their omelettes and bacon look amazing. You should be prepared to wait awhile for the food because they are usually really busy and due to the nature of the freshly cooked food, preparation takes some time. Reservations are highly recommended, otherwise, expect a wait to be seated. I've been there 3 times, and the service from the waitstaff and bartenders has always been STELLAR!!!

Reviewed July 15, 2012

I'd be most interested to know the average family incomes of families who can actually afford to eat here. The main dishes are average quality, and at 18-22 bucks a pop, like what you'd pay at a decent restaurant, are served in snack sized portions in little bowls. Jeez, it takes about a minute or so to eat it, and then I was wondering hmm.."what's for dinner?". The waiters dress " country style" in affected plaid shirts. Oh yeah.. hope you like country music, cause they play it at unavoidable volume continuously. That being said, the sandwiches are best value. Get a burger or an omelette. Fries are great. If you want the real deal though.. there's a place called the Waffle House.

2  Thank HugeGene
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I love this new restaurant. A friend and I had a late lunch there recently, and we were impressed with everything from the setting to the service. We planned ahead and made reservations, which I would recommend. We were seated at 3 pm, and the place was packed.

We both had the fried chicken, which was some of the best I've eaten. The chicken skin was crisp, and meat was juicy. They give you a generous five piece portion, which can be split for two. It comes with two nice biscuits. I also had the cold corn chowder, and was happy with the taste and presentation.

For dessert we both had the banana split, which was unexpected in a good way. The ice cream is some of the best I've tasted, and the sauces were exceptional.

We ended up staying for two hours chatting, and the service staff was very attentive and kept refreshing our drinks and asking if we needed anything. They were very good at making sure we were happy throughout the meal. Prices are very reasonable.

I also enjoyed being able to see inside the kitchen - they have an open concept space, which was interesting to watch.

Couples to families will enjoy this restaurant. I highly recommend it!

1  Thank lvshack