“Avoid this fake overpriced diner and go to Waffle House”
Review of Family Meal

Family Meal
Reserve with OpenTable
Family Meal is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 407 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Chef Bryan Voltaggio's modern American diner offers affordable all-day meals in a former Frederick car dealership transformed by clever design and raw, natural materials into an open, airy space, with a long counter fronting an open kitchen; its menu elevates the comfort-food canon, while adult beverages include boozy milkshakes as well as wine, beer and cocktails. Signature dishes include Fried Chicken with Buttermilk Biscuits, Meatloaf with Mushroom Gravy and Duck Fat Fried Potatoes.
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I'd be most interested to know the average family incomes of families who can actually afford to eat here. The main dishes are average quality, and at 18-22 bucks a pop, like what you'd pay at a decent restaurant, are served in snack sized portions in little bowls. Jeez, it takes about a minute or so to eat it, and then I was wondering hmm.."what's for dinner?". The waiters dress " country style" in affected plaid shirts. Oh yeah.. hope you like country music, cause they play it at unavoidable volume continuously. That being said, the sandwiches are best value. Get a burger or an omelette. Fries are great. If you want the real deal though.. there's a place called the Waffle House.

2  Thank HugeGene

Reviewed July 14, 2012

I love this new restaurant. A friend and I had a late lunch there recently, and we were impressed with everything from the setting to the service. We planned ahead and made reservations, which I would recommend. We were seated at 3 pm, and the place was packed.

We both had the fried chicken, which was some of the best I've eaten. The chicken skin was crisp, and meat was juicy. They give you a generous five piece portion, which can be split for two. It comes with two nice biscuits. I also had the cold corn chowder, and was happy with the taste and presentation.

For dessert we both had the banana split, which was unexpected in a good way. The ice cream is some of the best I've tasted, and the sauces were exceptional.

We ended up staying for two hours chatting, and the service staff was very attentive and kept refreshing our drinks and asking if we needed anything. They were very good at making sure we were happy throughout the meal. Prices are very reasonable.

I also enjoyed being able to see inside the kitchen - they have an open concept space, which was interesting to watch.

Couples to families will enjoy this restaurant. I highly recommend it!

1  Thank lvshack
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Recently opened and only their 4th day of lunch service, the Family Meal Restaurant by Brian Voltagio, was busy. Unfortunatley for us we had a few issues with the service taking a bit longer than we had hoped or what we would expect for lunch. However, the waitress and manager (James) saw to it that we were compensated and personally appologized to us.
The food is what we have come to expect from Chef Brian. The ingredients were fresh and everything, while sounding with familiar names like Ham and Cheese or Grilled Chicken Club Sandwich or Tuna Salad, all had a unique, wonderful and tasty twist. Such as the ham and cheese had carmelized onions on it and my wife thought it was the best she ever had. My mom had the Tuna, but it wasn't the canned stuff, it was Ahi Tuna slices on a bed of fresh greens that had so many different kinds of lettuce and things it is hard to describe. I had the Chicken Club which was probably the most "normal" of all 3, but again all the ingredients were fresh and the bread was toasted just right, what more can be said.
My mom and I had desserts which were also of very high quality and taste. My mom had a banana split, which is sized perfectly for one person to eat. I had the Smith Island Cake and it was numerous layers of cake, nugat and chocolate with some creme fresh on the side. Wonderful.
Prices are reasonable and for the quality, freshness and taste, do not miss trying this new restaurant in Frederick. We know that James and Brian will get t5he kniks worked out and this will soon be a place hard to get into because so many people will be making it a regular part of their dining experiences. Make it yours, too.

1  Thank Scott L
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Family Meal is the latest Brian Voltaggio effort. The ambience is a sort of 60s effect and the menu is diner inspired. Reservations recommended as we had a bit of a wait to seat 5 on a Wednesday night at 730pm.
The food was quite good. Everything arrived together and well prepared. The fried chicken and goat cheese scallope were great as were the burgers. Other sides included duck fat fries (Fantastic!) and mac&cheese.
However.........the service was very, very poor. Chalk it up to the short time its been open, but even taking that into account it was BAD. Multiple trips by the server to fill one round of water for the table from the filtered supply. It took the server over 20 minutes to get to us after we were seated for drink and appetizer orders, another 25 minutes to get back to take our dinner order. It wasn't that she was that slammed, she appeared to be unable to prioritize between provided take away boxes, checks and taking orders. Unable to multitask. Two tables that arrived well after us had there orders taken first....etc....etc. My conclusion is that the training appears to be lacking.
Desert was lemon meringue and blueberry ice cream. The desert was great with yet another service problem....it arrived with the ice cream well into melting...which given the miserly size of the scoop left very little remaining to eat.
My advice is to go for the food, but attempt to be seated at the counter seats, where hopefully you will receive more attention. Do NOT sit outside....as you will be out of sight out of mind. Good luck.

1  Thank jbone90
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Even though i had to wait 45 minutes to get seated. It was worth it. :D This is a place where you can sit down and have a fantastic meal. -----> Best Item: Chicken Pot Pie Fritters <-----