WINNER WONDERLAND

Taste Frederick
Ranked #1 of 3 Tours in Frederick
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Taste Frederick offers unique 3-hour food tasting and cultural walking tours of historic downtown Frederick, MD. You will try foods from favorite local restaurants and specialty food shops, enough for a hearty lunch, while getting a taste of downtown Frederick's history, culture and architecture from our passionate and friendly tour guides. An enjoyable experience for locals and tourists alike.
Frederick, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Made me proud of Frederick all over again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

I expected the food (see trvladdict's review for an excellant rundown) and it was terrific, but what surprised me was the extensive history knowledge Sarah, our guide, had. I've lived in Frederick 28 years and learned so much about my beloved, adopted, hometown. So obviously, I'd recommend this tour for all, including folks who think they've heard it all when it comes to Frederick history. The size of the group, 12 people, is perfect. It was small enough to huddle in to hear Sarah during the many 'stop-n-talks' we had along the route. This would be a great first introduction to Frederick for someone new to the area or visiting for the day.

Visited June 2013

Washington DC, District of Columbia
127 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 309 helpful votes
“Great way to see Frederick”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

This was an excellent 3 hour tour. Our guide, Sarah, was very personable and knowledgeable and her love of Frederick was contagious. She had an excellent combination of tasty food, history and walking around the city. We started at Brewer's Alley, learning where the name came from and the history of the building. The pizza and beer taste was also good. Next we had the best pastrami sandwich I have ever had at Firestone's Market. I'll go back to Frederick just for this amazing sandwich. We sampled several items at Griff's Landing before heading over to Carroll Creek to see the community bridge and learn about the history of this part of the city. After very good fried green tomatoes at the Wine Kitchen, we took a leisurely stroll through the theatre district and some historic neighborhoods. The Pop Shop was a special treat with the Birch Beer bringing back fond memories of corner stores in from Pennsylvania. We ended at Zoe's Chocolate Co with fabulous chocolates. The tour was just the right length, with the perfect amount of food. It was very well organized and I learned a lot. My sister, who has lived in Frederick almost 30 years, also learned some new things about the town. Sarah is a superb guide and I highly recommend this tour.

Visited June 2013
Erie, Pennsylvania
“Great experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Enjoyed the food experience, but also the wonderful Frederick info that Sarah provided. She did a fabulous job and her pride in Frederick was contagious. We were so impressed with the wine kitchen, that we made reservations while there and went back for dinner that evening! We were treated royally at Brewer's Alley, Griff's Landing, and the Wine Kitchen. Firestone's Market was interesting and delicious...we went back there, too. Not so comfortable at Zoe's...although the chocolate was great. The Pop Shop....quite awkward. We would have preferred the Cellar Door or someplace else. Could've used a beverage (coffee) sooner, toward the end of the tour.

Visited May 2013
TasteFrederickTours, Owner at Taste Frederick, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your thoughts! We are so glad you enjoyed the experience and really appreciate the feedback. We like to think that some of the unique shops are part of Frederick's charm, but some are on the smaller side space-wise. We hope your return visit to The Wine Kitchen was wonderful and we hope you'll consider joining us on another Taste Frederick Food Tour in the future.
Maryland
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great food tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I have been on food tours in San Francisco and Washington D.C., but we didn't know quite to expect in a small town like Frederick. I'm happy to say we were not disappointed. We went to six different restaurants/food shops and sampled enough tasty food to send us home full.

Sarah is an excellent guide, giving you insight into Frederick's food culture and interesting history. I'd definitely recommend the tour as a great way to get to know Frederick or just a fun way to spend the afternoon.

Visited April 2013
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Don't Miss This!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I've lived here (close to Frederick) all my life, but this tour was really interesting. I learned a lot about historical Frederick and had some fabulous food along the way. The stops were really fun and unique. It's hard to pick a favorite, but I've been back to the Olive Oil store and Zoe's Chocolate several times since then. Brewer's Alley has always been a favorite. Get your walking shoes on and do this tour. You won't be sorry!! (I found this on Groupon and once in a while there will be half off coupons).

Come hungry, you will have some great food. You will not be able to shop and purchase anything during the tour due to time constraints, but plan to stick around after the tour and revisit your favorites.

The host is really nice and knows her stuff! Don't forget a nice tip for her (no I'm not a relative or affiliated!).

Visited October 2012