“Just OK Italian”

Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
“Just OK Italian”
Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

We are new to Fredrick from Jersey and I did not move here for the Italian food and Mistero's confirmed it.
Start with the bread, which must be crusty in the outside and chewy inside, not here. Come on guys you have pizza on the menu you can use that dough for your bread sticks!

The meals were average as my pappardelle were not fresh made but the lamb sauce was very good and my wife's eggplant was uninspired.

The service was cheery and attentive and the background jazz music was nice. The wine list provided good choices of Italian and domestic wines to pair with your meal.

• Visited September 2013

Asheville, North Carolina
“Tourist Trap”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Actually all the good reviews attracted me to this place. I was expecting the best in Frederick but that was not to be. This place is average at its best. Old style building with brick walls reminded me of the good old days in Greenwich Village in the 60s. Too bad the food wasn't as nice as the environment. Service was okay. They didn't have coke products which should have been a flag for me. I check out all the dishes on the menu and they don't really have all that much for a vegetarian. Should have gone to Olive Garden or Carrabbas. I ordered angel hair pasta and eggplant stuffed with spinach and cheese. I don't know where or who made this dish but it was delivered in about 5 minutes after i ordered it. There is no way the chef could have prepared this dish in so short a time. It just wasn't that great. I will not return.

• Visited September 2013
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Charming Dinner”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Mixed seafood with marinara sauce (cioppino) was quite tasty. The sauce in particular seemed right. Service was very cheery. Value was good. Montepulciano wine was well balanced and flavorful. The restaurant is located in a beautiful old red brick building, although tucked (hidden, really) behind a parking garage. Bread was OK, and mixing butter with the olive oil dip was not a great idea, but overall the meal was quite enjoyable.

• Visited August 2013
Harrisville, Michigan
“Hidden Gem!”
Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

We were new to Frederick and discovered this little restaurant almost hidden away! Well worth finding. The panini arrived with homemade sliced fingerling potatoes sprinkled with Parmesan. A touch that shows their special care.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank SuzyQ000
Union Bridge, Maryland
“Just average”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

You know you are in a little trouble when you go to a restaurant on Friday night at 6:30 and there's only one other couple eating dinner. This was my first visit to Mistero. I hadn't heard anything about it. The other couple my wife and were with suggested we try it. The second warning sign was the bread they served us. To me, Italian bread should be tough and chewy - something really substantial. This bread was nothing like that. It tasted more like something you'd get at an inexpensive chain restaurant. The food was pretty good. The waitress was attentive, but didn't add any "personality" to the meal. Our food came out FAST. Almost to fast. We really didn't have time to enjoy the company. It's not a real surprise that the food came out so fast because there were so few people there. By the time we left three other tables were being used. Desserts were not so good. The Key Lime pie tasted like is was being thawed out from the freezer when they served it to us. There are other options for Italian restaurants in the area. I'll pick another one next time.

• Visited June 2013