“So glad a restaurant is back in this location”
Review of Mistero Bar And Italian grille - CLOSED

Mistero Bar And Italian grille
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“So glad a restaurant is back in this location”
Reviewed June 10, 2012 via mobile

Tucked away back in the old La Paz building, this new place is very good. Out waitress was very knowledgable and professional. She brought out our cocktails which were poured nice and strong. The bruschette appetizer was good, but they used cheap white bread. The standard table bread that gets brought out is the only disappointing aspect of the place. It was basically a heated up hot dog bun. The entree was spaghetti and meatballs, and it was great. Two giant meatballs on top of the noodles, and the sauce had a great flavor. The owner liked to mingle and make sure everything was okay, and one of the hostesses was so attractive, it made me hate my own balding self. Overall this place is literally what they call the hidden gem.

1 Thank StephenfromMD

Frederick, Maryland
“A New Italian Adventure”
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Two trips now to Mistero and both meals were excellent. First trip was with my wife and I and we were impressed with the quality of the food and the service. We had such a good experience that we took 4 friends back and had an equally good experience. Outstanding Italian cuisine, excellent presentation, reasonable mid-level prices, big booths and a great wine list. A little off the beaten path (in the old La Paz location). I will return!

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank DreamingOfTraveling3
Frederick, MD
“Nice assortment of southern Italian dishes”
Reviewed March 26, 2012

On March 17th, my friend Liz and I had an early dinner at Mistero, a new Italian restaurant in Frederick. It's located behind Brewer's Alley and the parking garage off Market Street. It becomes a club later in the evening (with a cover charge).

We didn't have reservations but only waited a few minutes before we were shown to our table upstairs. The room was pretty full and the bar stools were filled with people dressed in green celebrating St. Patrick's Day. The room was incredibly loud, way more than I've ever encountered in a restaurant. Music played in the background, competing with people practically yelling to hear each other, so it was difficult to have a pleasant evening. Dining on a night other than St. Patricks day is a good idea. The downstairs area has a bar as well, along with seating in the room and along the windows (bar style with stools). We likef the decor of the room. Tall booths, dark colors on the walls, and one wall had a nice glass display of wine bottles.

The menu had a very good assortment of southern Italian dishes. I ordered the Cioppino ($18), a combination of clams, mussels, calamari, scallops, and salmon (although there wasn't a single scallop in my dish), served with linquini in a spicy marinara sauce. The portion was large, filling, and very good; and the seafood was tender.

Liz ordered the Chicken Scarpareiello ($16), which was thinly sliced chicken, pearl onions and musrhooms in a marsala wine sauce; and sliced roasted potatoes. She liked her dish but wished there had been something more to the plate such as string beans, broccoli, spinach or some colorful vegetable.

The bread that was served left a lot to be desired. Just plain white rolls. A hearty, crusty bread would have been a better choice. Along with the rolls was a plate with olive oil, pesto, diced sun-dried tomatoes, and a dollop of butter. Every Italian restaurant has their own dipping sauce. I say skip the butter and ask for more olive oil.

We each ordered a glass of house wine ($5.50).

As we ate our dinner, we looked at the foods that were being served at the tables near us. The fried calamari appetizer was huge! Will have to order it next time. The pizzas were on the small side and they looked like they could have used a few more minutes in the oven. Liz and I both like a toasty crust and almost-burnt cheese. The shrimp and crab risotto looked delicious (another big plate of food).

Overall the food was very good, the portions decent, and prices reasonable (although I'm used to going to family-style Italian restaurants that serve a side salad with the entrees). I'll definitely return here soon - I need to try their calamari and some of the other tasty looking dishes.

• Visited March 2012