“An enthusiastic 5 star review”
Review of Clay Oven

Clay Oven
Ranked #66 of 409 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I didn't know I loved Indian food until last night when I ate here. We had the appetizer sampler which was an interesting selection of fried cheese, vegetables and chicken, then we had goat vandaloo and chicken tikka makhani. The goat was good but I do wish it didn't have the bones in it, and I understand at the same time that they improve the flavor, so I can't really complain. My girlfriend's chicken was amazing though. We had naan both plain and with garlic. There was so much garlic on the garlic naan that at first it was a shock, but by the end of my first piece I wouldn't have it any other way. For dessert, we were just going to have the saffron pistachio ice cream, but our waiter suggested we get it with the gulab jumun- fried dough balls in sugar syrup. Together they were wonderful, with the warm sugar syrup helping melt the ice cream. Overall it was a wonderful dexperience, excellent attentive service- our drinks were never empty, and it was very reasonably priced too. I only wish I lived closer so I could go back sooner.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

It's a small place but it doesn't reflect on taste! I love their goat curry, butter chicken, and curry chicken! I love there different types of Naan and their Saag Paneer is tasty as can be! They also have a nice buffet for weekend lunches! Would def suggest Clay Oven!! My wife and I often get carry out.

Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

I wish the food was consistent. I used to be a regular before another restaurant opened up. The food was sometimes way too spicy and sometime not so much.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I've only come to the Clay Oven for their lunch buffet, and it never disappoints! Some of the choices vary day to day, but they keep some of the items the same no matter what. The food is always fresh, even if you come towards the end of the serving time, and they will gladly make you and your party a basket of fresh Naan if you request it. The staff there has always been extremely friendly and welcome you like friends. I like for my friends to try new things and I had a couple with me who were very leery of unfamiliar cuisines. I wanted to go to the Clay Oven and knew that 1. a buffet with options would be the way to go and 2. that Clay Oven's food was always so good that their first impression would be a good one. I was right and during my time living in Frederick, they would travel from Baltimore to join me there for lunch. There is nothing there that I have tried I didn't like. The food is not too spicy as in heat, but uses the right amount of spices to make the dishes deliciously flavorful. Still to this day if I need to make a trip to Frederick, I will time it so I can make it for the lunch buffet.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

I love this place!! It has an outstanding selection of Indian food...I always go for the really spicy but they also have a lot of non spicy dishes. Buffet is nice also!! Everyone who works here are very friendly and outgoing. Prices are good...definitely worth giving it a try.