“Nice spot for lunch & some coffee”
Review of Cafe Nola

Cafe Nola
Ranked #34 of 407 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We visited at the peak of lunch rush on Sunday and got seated immediately. The menu looks fairly simple, but loaded with items that look appealing for both breakfast and lunch and are not the usual fare you find. The atmosphere is a bit "hippy-ish" with the barista wearing dreadlocks and most everybody seeming to be of the organic persuasion overall...but that seems to be part of the appeal. We had the Zola Burger and Chicken Pannini and were quite happy with both items in taste and portion. The latte could have been a little hotter though...it seemed to range in the 140 degree temperature when it should be 160-170. I will note that to make sure I ask to have extra hot next time...but taste and froth was done well enough. My only comments is that the dread-lock barista should be wearing a hair net and stop touching his hair all the time. Seriously....wash it or something or cut them off if you can't wear a hat or hair net. It is a little noisy with nearly every surface a hard surface that doesn't absorb noise...they really need something to diffuse it a bit. It is in the older part of Frederick downtown area, so it is an older building and not all shiny new. Lastly, there is a selection of flavored liquors on the wall that are naturally infused with all sorts of tasty looking flavors (garlic Vodka?) I didn't try them, but might next time if it weren't mid day. Overall, this is a very good place with a good vibe...just work on the hair thing...and maybe take a bit more time cleaning the restrooms to earn the next higher rating.

1  Thank jfwilder

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I dropped by for breakfast around 10am. The place was quiet.

I took the bacon and eggs, and was disappointed. 3 skinny pieces of bacon, 2 eggs (not much to go wrong there), once small slice of brown toast and a tiny amount of fruit. Hardly filling, but at $7 + another $2 for coffee very poor value.

Seems to have overboard on the granola, fair trade organic side anmd forgotten that we also eat to survive.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

This is a neat little place in the fun part of Frederick. Great breakfast in a really neat atmosphere. Service was great and the employees seemed to enjoy working there which is always a good indication of the establishment to me. Highly recommend!

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Excellent breakfast - spinach and portobello mushroom omelet, tofu scramble, roasted potatoes, black illy coffee and a latte made with almond (!) milk. Pleasant and comfortable atmosphere, excellent and attentive wait staff with exceptional food, a little pricey for breakfast but worth it - what's not to like? We'll be back next time we're in Frederick.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

My husband and I were traveling from DC to Gettysburg on vacation and our phones were dead. With no map as a back up, we stopped in Fredrick for a late dinner and some directions. We followed the signs to the historic downtown and fortune was with us because we stumbled up on this charming cafe. The staff was fabulous and friendly and happily plugged in our phones. But what I couldn't have predicted was how FABULOUS the food was. My husband ordered the roast pork with local hen of the woods mushrooms that was to die for. Really. I could have eaten a bathtub full of those mushrooms. A foodie's delight sourced locally and cooked by a real chef. Who knew? I had the grilled chicken salad with walnuts and apples and Gorgonzola. Amazing. I only wish we lived close so we could eat here regularly. I can't recommend it highly enough.