“spreading the word!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Wine Kitchen

The Wine Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
The Wine Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 398 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Take a right off Market St. onto Carroll Creek Way
Pennsylvania
“spreading the word!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband & I dined here on a Saturday night. We made a reservation for the patio, which is dog friendly. Our waitress was extremely knowledgeable about the menu, especially when it came time to explaning the wine flights. The wine flights come with small cards (that you keep) that describe what you're sampling. We ordered the cheese plate, which was very tasty. Our entrees were the vegetable lasagna & the sword fish. We both enjoyed the food very much. Portions aren't huge, but definatly ample. For dessert, we tried the dessert wine flight & chocolate soup. Our service was very good. The appetizer & bread arrived with the wine flights & dinner was served probably 20 minutes after we finished our appetizer. No need to be in a hurry, part of the charm of this restaurant is trying new wine & enjoying the view. We are looking foward to returning & I will pass the word along that this is a super place!

ct
“Excellent Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stopped in for lunch. The atmosphere inside and out is nice, but the service is very slow. The staff is friendly but either the kitchen is understaffed or the serving staff has a problem moving things along. We each had the Roast Chicken Salad with roasted cantaloupe, onions and an orange vinaigrette. It was excellent. So if you have some time to spend knowing you will have to wait a while to enjoy a good meal it's worth putting up with not the best service.

Fairfield, Pennsylvania
“Delicious food and love the atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

I've read a lot of reviews on this restaurant and it seems to be you either love it or hate it. Well I loved it. I ate here with a friend...I like that you can get 3 samples of white or red wine for a decent cost. They let you keep descriptions of the wine so you remember which one you liked. We split a bunch of appetizers including the bacon biscuits - amazing! We also shared the vegetable pot pie which was really good as well.

Yes this is a little pricey. If you don't feel like spending a couple of extra bucks then go somewhere else. The food, wine, and atmosphere is definitely worth it.

• Visited January 2013
Portland, Maine
“Two for two in the "never again" category”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

I really want to like this restaurant in my hometown. Really. But my two visits have been so disappointing that Frederick's The Wine Kitchen is now on my list of "never again."

On my first visit, on a weeknight last winter, my companion and I sat...and sat...and sat. We had plenty of time to choose our wine flights, meals, and sit and watch the small band of servers gathered behind the bar, chatting with each other. After 15-20 minutes, we walked out. No water, no greeting, no nothing.

I tried again recently, this time with friends. Wine's a little pricey ($9 Malbec rose, $11-12 flights) but all right, the $5 Flying Dog makes up for that. We wanted to enjoy our cocktails, take our time to chat and peruse the menu, but our server wanted us to hurry-up-and-order. Once we did order, things slowed down to our liking, as the kitchen got something mixed up.

Food was honestly disappointing. Veggie lasagna really dry, "Seoul fries" soggy and blah. Yellow squash/mussel soup was oddly sour with four small mussels in the entire bowl. Medium strip loin way overdone, but the lemon chicken with faro was good, just a small portion, though.

The kale salad gets its own paragraph. No massage administered, just raw kale. The "cornbread crumbles" were a single hunk of hard cornbread. I didn't taste apples or fennel at all. Fair amount of dressing, though.

It's a noisy restaurant, so conversation needs to be loudened up a bit within a group of four. Lots of passersby to watch from window seats or outdoor seating on Carroll Creek.

The buzz, both in the community and on Trip Advisor, is really good for The Wine Kitchen. Don't know what I've been missing, but I'm not going for a third visit.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Subpar Food and Wine after an Interminable...and Ungracious...Wait”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

As this restaurant has good reviews, we headed to it when it Frederick. What ensued was one of the worst dining experiences I've had.

First, let me say, that the prices you include aren't accurate. Main courses were between $17 - $38.

Confused servers - 20 minutes to get a menu that we only got when we asked. Salad came out not as ordered, returned and then, 30 minutes later, no other appetizer or the salad reappeared. Special dietary request got a confused look, then an endless list of what couldn't be ordered, leaving me with a salad for dinner, which came out minus one of the key components. Only when I asked did I learn that this item contained my allergy, after it was delivered, mostly naked on the plate. I had to ask for a substitute - a tomato - and then they said they'd "check" to see if the kitchen had one.

After waiting more than an additional hour for the entrees, we asked the manager - the waiter, rather clueless, had shrugged when we asked him - when dinner might arrive. The manager said that they were very crowded and running behind and we could "see" how hard the kitchen was working and they were doing the best that they can. If this had come with an offer of an appetizer or a small plate to share, we would have gone with it. Bu, thus far, hadn't even been offered bread, which about 10 minutes we asked the waiter for. The response, another "I'll see if the kitchen has some." Twenty minutes later four very small slices of bread arrived (for 4 people). Still no dinner.

We had been in the restaurant nearly 2 hours when dinner arrived. My husband's chicken wasn't really cooked through, and the food was okay to good.

No apologies and a rather hefty check for only 3 dinners and 3 appetziers, a little wine...and Frederick.

What a mess!