“Great kid-focused attraction in Frederick”

Roads and Rails Museum
Ranked #10 of 63 things to do in Frederick
Reviewed March 1, 2014

My kids (11 and 3) and I spent more than an hour, while Mom went off to a coffee shop a block away. Frederick is great for walking, people watching, and food - all grown-up things to do - so having this museum is fantastic. I thought the price was reasonable, and the displays are well kept-up and interactive enough to keep my 3 y.o. happy. My 11 y.o. is a train nut, so it naturally suited him.

Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

I have never rated anything before but felt compelled to do so for this museum. It was amazing. The attention to detail and imagination is exceptional. I have not seen anything like it to this extent before. All from scratch and it took five guys five years working full time to put it together. Applause applause.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

This is a family owned 'labor of love'. It is a fantastic display of interactive model train set-ups, with hundreds of miniature figures and cars, and so much more! There is so much to see in the main display area. Realistic scenes from vintage America will captivate folks of all ages. Look closely so you dont miss some of the subtle humor. There are a lot of buttons to push to activate trains, trolleys, roller skating waitresses... It is a very engaging and well thought out work in progress. This enthusiastic family is always adding and upgrading the displays. Be sure to grab one of the scavenger hunt sheets from the desk before you go in. Also, not to be missed, is the separate back room with the Lego display. It is a colorful feast for the eyes and brain, and so cleverly done! Others have mentioned admission, which goes to support this family project. They are also in the process of adding space for a new doll house display and more cars! The level of detail is impressive. (look in the casino windows for example) This is one of the most fun attractions I have visited in a long time!

Reviewed February 10, 2014

We went to the Roads and Rails museum on a Sunday in February. There were four adults and a preschooler in our party. We all enjoyed the museum. My 3.5 grandson could have stayed there all day. He loves trains and there was just so much to see. My son-in-law got the scavenger hut paper and enjoyed looking for all those things. I definitely recommend this place. We will be going back!

Reviewed February 9, 2014

My husband and adult son stopped by here on a whim. Admission prices are $4 for ages 3-11 and $7 for 12 and up. It may seem steep but it's really a donation to the museum, and to us, it was worth it.

There is a large area with an interactive model train display. On your way in, be sure to pick up a sheet for the scavenger hunt. There is one for younger children and one for older children and adults with varying degrees of difficulty.

Once inside the display has a variety of scenes. As you go along there are buttons to push to activate small animated scenes. We went around several times trying to find the scenes and items. In all it took us about 45 minutes to wander through.

I am not a train enthusiast but my husband and son are. Still, I was enchanted by the details of the set up. Someone had way too much fun putting this together. I wish I'd been one of them.

Been to Roads and Rails Museum? Share your experiences!