“Great Thai!”

Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Frederick, Maryland
“Great Thai!”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

There are many places to eat in Frederick, but not that many of this caliber. We just love this place and have had take out a number of times and its still warm and crispy (when necessary) when we get home.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Marla57

Hagerstown, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious!”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I can't stop coming back! The decor here is simple yet elegant, and the food is absolutely delicious. I find myself constantly craving the food from this place!

Visited June 2013
Frederick, Maryland
“Wonderful meal”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Frederick has no shortage of places to eat. But I will be returning to Sumittra again. While I cannot claim to be a connoisseur of Thai cuisine, I have eaten a more than a couple of places who claim Thai heritage.
I went here on a Wednesday evening, a single diner (plague of the food business), because I did not want any heavy, Italian or comfort-food stuff tonight. This was a great choice! Sumittra has not been here for very long, but long enough to have their liquor license, and the Sumittra cooler (vodka and raspberry lemonade) was light & refreshing. Service was polite, quick, and unobtrusive. My appetizer of "crab stars" arrived promptly: small quick-fried pockets like tortellini, stuffed with crab pate and served with a very fresh dip sauce.
I liked the look of panang with shrimp; curry with coconut (tempers the heat) and lime. Just what I wanted - it was served with jasmine rice, and while satisfying was not overly much. Good shrimps, just enough heat, and a very pleasant broth. And please, why cannot I get my food at home to come to the table this hot? The dish must have left the kitchen at 200 degrees, and come straight to my table. Everything was piping hot, just spicy enough, and nicely presented.
A different dessert: mango slices served with sweet sticky rice. Quite unusual, and very nice.

For my small meal, I was a little surprised at the $41 tab, but it was correct. What I get for ordering ad rink & dessert, I guess. But the atmosphere was very pleasant, with a nice mix of customer, including asians, and excellent service.

For an unassuming storefront on Patrick Street, it was a good dining experience; look for me to be back.

• Visited June 2013
Washington DC
“Ok Thai food; could have stronger drinks”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Ok, up front, I lived in Thailand for some time so I'm kinda picky about my Thai food. This place specializes in northern Thai food, so points for doing something different than all the other Thai restaurants in the DC area that all serve the same thing. That said, some of it is not quite authentic though all of it was pretty tasty. we had the kanom jeeb: here that meant larger than normal shumai dumplings with pork and shrimp. there were pretty good. my husband had one of his favorites from when he visited Thailand: Kao Soi. It did not quite taste the same as N Thailand, was much more like soup than N Thailand and didn't use the yellow or fried noodles. it still tasted good and was spicy but not quite the same. I had volcanic shrimp: fried shrimp in tamarind sauce. it was tasty but a bit heavy. the tamarind sauce in thailand is a little lighter and not so sticky. i ordered a frederick rock drink: passion fruit juice, lemonade and gin. could not taste the gin; think they forgot to put it in. atmosphere was very good and wait staff was very nice.

• Visited May 2013
Hartford, Connecticut
“Great Choice”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stopped in here on a Saturday afternoon, ordered 6 different meals and everyone was pleased. Very clean restaurant, reasonable prices, all around good option if you're in Frederick!

• Visited April 2013