“Best value, best flavor in Frederick”
Review of Sumittra

Sumittra
Ranked #21 of 405 Restaurants in Frederick
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 31, 2012

My husband and I live in downtown Frederick and frequent most of the downtown locally owned restaurants i.e. non-national chains ranging in price from Bushwaller's pub food to Acacia's fusion to That Cuban Place (sadly closed) to Il Porto italian to Black Hog BBQ to foodie mecca Volt. Sumittra is our newest favorite value meal. The atmosphere is warm, hip metropolitan chic; no buddhas or ceremonial offerings in sight. All tables have a view of the passersby, a unique feature for Frederick. The bar is for table service only as the place is not large. However the staff is extremely attentive, the cocktails are fresh and interesting, and the menu is extensive with clear descriptions of all items for those not familiar with Thai food.

Daily specials on our two visits were updated spins on Thai food. For example, I ordered an app special (portobello/shitake grill) with savory clear broth topped with Swiss cheese. Strange but think of the flavors and textures in french onion soup--earthy, savory, salty with a meaty cheesy bite. Really good! My husband ordered spring rolls and was surprised to receive three 12" long thin cigars of piping hot crispy shells stuffed with savory filling and very fresh orange sauce. For entrees I again ordered one of the specials (duck soup) and my husband ordered from the regular menu (red curry). The duck was succulent with ramen noodles and fresh broth, ginger, lime, etc. for unmistakeable Thai flavoring. The red curry was really good as well.
If you're looking for traditional blow torch hot Thai food, you may be disappointed (I'm sure they can ramp up the flavor as requested), but if you're looking for a beautiful dining experience with fresh flavorful food artfully presented at very reasonable prices (cocktails, wine, apps & entrees totaled $66!!!!), this is well worth it.

Reviewed January 19, 2012

Never had a bad thing here. Even when the server got my order wrong once, it was still excellent. I was happy to have discovered another great dish.

Reviewed January 5, 2012

After touring the National Civil War Medicine museum a few doors away, we decided to have lunch here. What a nice surprise! We shared the crispy tofu appetizer, Rama tofu, spicy eggplant, and panang curry. All were delicious. Service was quietly friendly, although dishes were brought out intermittently, with the last arriving when we were almost finished with the meal.

1  Thank travelinggnome48
Reviewed December 18, 2011

We were sad to see the previous restaurant close, but having eatten at Sumittra twice in the past month, it's become our favorite 'go to" place in town. The ambiance is quiet and clean, fast service, interesting menu, reasonable prices and great location... I hope they do well and become a permanant part of the downtown scene.

Reviewed June 21, 2011

11 June 2011

Tony and I dined at Sumittra, a new Thai restaurant in downtown Frederick Maryland. The place has tables for about 60-65 people and is set with a contemporary design with melon colored walls and pillars and exposed brick.

We started our meal with Tod Mun Pla - spicy fish cakes (four of them) that has a red curry paste and is served with a sweet chili sauce and chopped peanuts ($8). They were tasty.

For our second appetizer, I selected one of their Sumittra specials, the Peking Duck Roll - crispy duck wrapped in an Asian pancake (also with cucumber and scallions) and is served with a hoisin sauce. The sauce was the perfect sweet balance against the rich duck flavor. ($9)

One of our favorite Thai dishes is Prik Glua. We used to order it all the time at Thai place about 40 minutes from home. We've never seen it on any menu at the other Thai places in Frederick so we were pleasantly surprised. We selected the shrimp, although you can order pork, chicken, steak, seafood, or tofu & Vegetable. This dish is an explosion of flavors. The shrimp (eight large) are lightly battered and then sauteed with a chili and garlic sauce. While not as hot/spicy as the ones we've had in the past, the mix of flavors are wonderful. Rice is served with this dish. ($18).

Fresh fruit - watermelon - is provided after dinner, which is a nice touch.

The restaurant was pretty full and on the noisy side (small place) but I could tell everyone was enjoying their food and their dinner friends. Service was fine and quick, and with friendly smiles. When we were their, they didn't have their liquor license but was told by the end of June they should have it. In the meantime people BYOB. This saved on our dining bill. Prices are reasonable, although I found the seafood and shrimp selections to be a little pricey.

I saw lots of other tasty looking dishes and nice size portions too. I look forward to returning here soon. This is a keeper!

2  Thank mjpileggi