“Dangerously Cheesy”

Dining options: Reservations
Charleston, West Virginia
“Dangerously Cheesy”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Beautiful interiors as soon as you walk in. Dimly lit, trellis on the ceiling with fake grape vines pulled through with some twinkle lights and plates on the walls.

The server that we got did not speak English particularly well, which our hotel had warned us might happen. He was not, however, Iranian. I think there might have been a bit of confusion with some people in the past who just saw that the servers didn't speak English as a first language and were moderately dusky skinned and automatically went middle-eastern, but I'm pretty darned sure our guy was Italian.

The food was very good. We got two orders of garlic bread, an order of the fresh mozzarella on tomatoes, stuffed cheese shells (as opposed to the "staffed meat shells"), and the lasagna. The cheese was very fresh, very good, and very present in everything but the garlic bread. When I cut into my stuff shells, I could string out the cheese for almost a foot before it broke. Delicious!

• Visited August 2013

St Louis, MO
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bad experience felt sorry for the servers”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We went to Nido's because we are from out of town, were in historical Frederick, and wanted some Italian food. We had a large part of 13 including 2 kids and a baby, and they sat us in a back room on our own which was great. It was nice not to worry about the baby disturbing other customers.
So the first bad sign was that it took about 5 minutes to get our drinks ordered and 10 minutes after that we got them. After that we got one drink refill all around and we were there for like 2 hours, not good. So I look at the menu and it looks like a pretty standard non-chain Italian restraunt menu. It was pretty pricey and looking more closely at the menu the high prices didn't included a salad with the entree, but you could purchase one for $5. We ordered, and as expected the food came out slowly. A couple of people in our party ordered the $5 dinner salad, which consisted of a rather small amount of iceburg lettuce, some shave carrots, shaved raddishes, and tomato wedge. When they came it was pretty appearent that there was no dressing. We asked the server and they pointed to the bottles of oil and vinegar and salt and pepper shakers. We had to ask for some parmesan cheese. The $5 salad was upsetting.
The rest of the food starts trickling out, and by trickling I mean 10 minutes between when the first and last entree dishes hit the table. I order the tortallini(sp?), and it tasted kind of chewy, it reminded me of the cheap tortallini my mom bought frozen that I ate as a kid. My dad on the other hand had a bowl of Fetticini and shrimp and it was great. My brother-in-law's lasagna was literally rancid. It even smelled bad. He had a bite in his mouth for about a half of a second before he spit it out it was so bad.
In all of this though I have to say the servers looked like they were working extremely hard. I didn't see them stop moving. I think they were understaffed. They didn't even have trays to use to get the food out. If felt sorry for them and left extra tip.
I would highly recommend staying away from this place.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Colleen R
Nidosristorante, Owner at Nido's Little Italy Ristorante, responded to this review, November 30, 2014
Hi! We are the new owners of Nido's as of July 1, 2014. We are sorry that you had a bad experience prior to this date. We have read your review as well as others and value your comments and suggestions. Nido's has been a Frederick tradition for 27 years and we are hoping to add a shining new twist to this classic. We look forward to serving you for the next 27 years and beyond!!
Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States
“Nice people but not great food.”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I was optimistic when I first walked in. It looked very cozy and the staff greeted me right away. The waiter was talking with his hands which is always a good thing in an Italian restaurant. Then the bread came. I think it was just white bread. No flavor at all and not what you'd expect at an Italian place. We ordered white pizza as an appetizers which was decent but needed more garlic. We both had the lasagna which was pretty pathetic. Somehow all of the meat ended up on 1 side of the lasagna and the ricotta cheese on the other side. I was eating a fork full of beef in one bite then a fork full of ricotta in the next bite. I also don't think they put on any mozzarella or very little if they did. I usually would expect a side salad with an entree but for $10.95 I can understand why it's not included. The place is reasonably priced and probably not bad for a family with kids, but if you are looking for a good authentic Italian meal this is not the place.

• Visited June 2013
Frederick, Maryland
“Always good”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We have dined at Nido's many times over the years and never been disappointed. The pasta and sauces are very good. The service is excellent (same couple of waiters for years), and atmosphere relaxed and quiet.
The eggplant parmigiana, clams with linguini, calamar fra diavolo, and mussles with linguini are all terrific. We have also had a variety of more traditional pasta dishes and all have been fine.

• Visited January 2013
Frederick, MD
“Enjoyed the meal.”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We had four people in our group and everyone enjoyed their meal. We got white pizza and green bean marinara fore appetizers. I had the cheese ravoli and we all shared a carafe of red wine. I will def be going back.

• Visited January 2013