“What an unexpected surprise”

Stone Hearth Bakery
Ranked #3 of 6 Bakeries in Frederick
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stumbled on Stone Hearth during the morning of a snow storm when nearly everything in Frederick had closed. I walked in and asked, "Why are you open?" the baker responded, "We've been here baking all night, why would we close now?" The gentleman who helped me was very friendly. I bought two delicious empanadas. I wasn't expecting such yummy empanadas in the US, let alone in Frederick. Everything in the case looked very tempting. I will definitely be going back. The bakery is near Shad Row as other reviewers have noted but it's on the periphery and very easy to miss. Don't miss it!

2  Thank laviajeraliz
There are newer reviews for Stone Hearth Bakery

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Always reliable for fresh and tasty bread. Kalamata Olive is my favorite. Other baked goods are very good, but I probably wouldn't give them a 'best' rating.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Started buying their bread at local farmers markets and then realized their shop is down the street from the coffee shop I go to every weekend. I love their rye and challah bread and my husband says their cookies are very good. Big selection of everything.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

Several of the smaller coffee houses and restaurants get their baked goods from the Stone Hearth. I recognized their sweets being served (most satisfactory apple turnover) at a nearby, popular Shab Row eatery. Their head baker told me that they only use a sour dough starter. This surprised me because often sour dough starter can be too strong; but he keeps it subtle for the lighter, brighter dessert fare. For a quickie lunch try their made to order sandwiches - you can't get fresher than this. Parking is limited but ok. Baker, servers, sandwich makers are all smart and friendly. Take home pies and rolls remain fresh and keep well. A great experience all-round.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I love theolive bread especially but they are all excellent. Also quality ingredients-no mixes or artificial stuff, delicious pastries, pies, and cakes. Everything looks good, too.