“Best in Frederick”

Cross street: 2nd St
Washington, DC
“Best in Frederick”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've eaten at Volt, and it's got nothing on Shab Row. GREAT brunch, lunch or dinner option. The food is French but not too fussy, and the wine/bar selections are fantastic. Outdoor seating is great when the weather cooperates. There's a wine shop in the back, too. It's one of my DC-area favorites!

• Visited November 2012

Frederick, Maryland
“One of our favorites”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We came across SRB by accident a couple of years ago. We were driving by, saw the place and pulled in for a glass of wine not knowing what to expect. It was early (7:00 pm) for dinner down town and we sat at the bar. We had the nicest evening out we'd had in YEARS. We got to chatting with the bar staff (there really is a wonderful mixologist) and ended up trying (and liking) the sweet breads at the recommendation of then chef, Michael King. I had made some sort of cheeky comment about his age - sadly within earshot of the fellow. He really did look very young - and he really does have an exceptional background - and a real passion for what comes out of his kitchen. We were surprised to find we had lingered over three hours over dinner and dessert. Perfectly relaxed and content.

More recently, we took advantage of a rather novel promotion. We received an e-mail in advance of Hurricane Sandy offering half price entrees to help empty the cooler in case the predictions of power outages were realized. It lent a festive twist to an otherwise grim week of tracking the huge storm system. We were happy for a distraction. and the opportunity to sample Chef Strawsburg's offerings. We had the scallops and mahi mahi - both well paired with veg and plated beautifully. I like that the food is well prepared and plated - but still not fussy. We saved room for coffee and dessert, pots de creme and bread pudding. Both were good but not exceptional - although I love their coffee press coffee.

We will return to SRB but wish that owner Jack Clark would remember to smile at all his guests. This is the third time we have noted his fussing over what appears to be a serious wine customer with never a nod to anyone else in the place. That's ok - he is a serious wine guy - but he would improve the atmosphere if he softened just a little for the rest of us.

• Visited October 2012
USA
“AT 60$ per Person, expected a bit more”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Booked on OpenTable for a dinner for 4 on a Saturday. The food selection was a nice mix of original dishes, with a bit of flair on presentation. We had the duck, ribeye, and crab cake entrees, with the oysters, salad, and napolion crab dish as starters. Three had a glass of wine, and the other draft beer. All enjoyed the food.
BUT, when you spend +50 USD/person on a meal, and yes in Frederick, you should experience attentive, yet not pushy or rushed service. More pleasant atmosphere. And an overall enjoyable experience beyond food.
It started sideways when given the house appetizer, I asked the waiter how the presentation was to be prepared, and he informed us to do at 'as you like', taking no moment to offer advise or guidance. Also, a number of our first selections were not available. All was fine with the dinner, but in the end, when we paid with cash, we had a call 10 mins after our departure stating that we had not left enough money for the bill. Two of us tallied the bill for payment, and in the end, the waiter (Ben) called to tell us we short paid. I promptly returned and paid the difference, but certainly feel that I should have refused, as it is his responsiblility to inform us BEFORE we depart. Two of us felt certain we paid correctly, it was his word only that we were short 40 dollars, But what to do, other than not to return and bring it to the attention of any future diners.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank TrvlgMan
Frederick, MD
“What's with the dirty looks?!”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

First off I just want to say the food is amazing and so are the servers (not overall staff, just servers). The drinks I think could have been better. Always wanted to come here due to the hype of the mixologist. Everything was great except management. I know I look strange (tattoos and such) but I have never been treated as such. My boyfriend and I are easy going people, never ask for much or cause trouble. People treat me equally, I'm educated, have a great job. And everything is great. But management needs to know that this is the 21st century and everyone looks different but that does not mean they should be treated different. I came in and they just stared at me and gave me dirty looks. They would look at me, talk to each other, look away, say something and look at me again. At the end, I had my jacket on top of my purse and when I went to get my wallet, I accidentally dropped my jacket. The female manager looked at the jacket on the floor, grimaced, looked at me, spoke to the male manager who was not looking at me, then they both looked at the jacket and then me and sneered. What's the big deal? It's an accident. Thanks to them I will not be going back!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank gothicrocker
Frederick, Maryland
“A Splurge!”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We have always wanted to have lunch here since this place opened. We pass it often and only now have had the opportunity to stop. We were suprised to find that the restaurant and wine shop attached are not together. The restaurant does not serve the winery wines. Instead the Bistro has it's own wine shop offering many wines. We went on a Sunday during the Shab Row Sidewalk Sale and the 2nd day of the Frederick Arts Festival. We decided on the Brunch Tasting ($35pp) and added the wine pairing ($15pp) We were told that the usual dessert was unavailable but asked if it would be ok to substitute with something comparable that the chef suggested. We were fed a constant VERY pleasant stream of wines and beautiful creations. From the strawberry crumb cake with sparkling wine, the salad of arugula with strawberries and goat cheese, a french toast with strawberries again, then a wonderful cut of rare beef with a poached egg with hollandaise sauce, then a wonderful chocolate custard that the chef suggested as replacement for the usual. Each entree was paired beautifully with it's own wine. Since we were sitting outside and although a few other tables were also being served, we never waited long after finishing a dish or wine before the next was placed in front of us.The fresh linen table cloths, the over head pergola for added shade while dining out doors and wrought iron railings with basil planted in window boxes add charm. This was a little pricey but very pleasant experience, we will definately do this again. We were so satisfied from this brunch that we didn't have dinner, just a snack of fruits and cheeses.

• Visited June 2012