“What's with the dirty looks?!”
Review of Shab Row Bistro & Wine Bar - CLOSED

Shab Row Bistro & Wine Bar
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 2nd St
Frederick, MD
“What's with the dirty looks?!”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

First off I just want to say the food is amazing and so are the servers (not overall staff, just servers). The drinks I think could have been better. Always wanted to come here due to the hype of the mixologist. Everything was great except management. I know I look strange (tattoos and such) but I have never been treated as such. My boyfriend and I are easy going people, never ask for much or cause trouble. People treat me equally, I'm educated, have a great job. And everything is great. But management needs to know that this is the 21st century and everyone looks different but that does not mean they should be treated different. I came in and they just stared at me and gave me dirty looks. They would look at me, talk to each other, look away, say something and look at me again. At the end, I had my jacket on top of my purse and when I went to get my wallet, I accidentally dropped my jacket. The female manager looked at the jacket on the floor, grimaced, looked at me, spoke to the male manager who was not looking at me, then they both looked at the jacket and then me and sneered. What's the big deal? It's an accident. Thanks to them I will not be going back!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank gothicrocker

Frederick, Maryland
“A Splurge!”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We have always wanted to have lunch here since this place opened. We pass it often and only now have had the opportunity to stop. We were suprised to find that the restaurant and wine shop attached are not together. The restaurant does not serve the winery wines. Instead the Bistro has it's own wine shop offering many wines. We went on a Sunday during the Shab Row Sidewalk Sale and the 2nd day of the Frederick Arts Festival. We decided on the Brunch Tasting ($35pp) and added the wine pairing ($15pp) We were told that the usual dessert was unavailable but asked if it would be ok to substitute with something comparable that the chef suggested. We were fed a constant VERY pleasant stream of wines and beautiful creations. From the strawberry crumb cake with sparkling wine, the salad of arugula with strawberries and goat cheese, a french toast with strawberries again, then a wonderful cut of rare beef with a poached egg with hollandaise sauce, then a wonderful chocolate custard that the chef suggested as replacement for the usual. Each entree was paired beautifully with it's own wine. Since we were sitting outside and although a few other tables were also being served, we never waited long after finishing a dish or wine before the next was placed in front of us.The fresh linen table cloths, the over head pergola for added shade while dining out doors and wrought iron railings with basil planted in window boxes add charm. This was a little pricey but very pleasant experience, we will definately do this again. We were so satisfied from this brunch that we didn't have dinner, just a snack of fruits and cheeses.

• Visited June 2012
New Market, Maryland
“Good food, nice atmosphere, fantastic service”
Reviewed May 24, 2012

This is a nice place that is away from the "restaurant rows" of Market St, Patrick Street, or Carroll Creek. East Street is not full of restaurants, but it is an interesting place to shop. SRB is a great place for an uncrowded lunch or an unhurried dinner. The menu is "new American" and has some very interesting items like plum and arugula salad and ravioli in a fascinating broccoli rabe sauce (I'm tired of red or butter sauces). The portions are small, but adequate. The local bread is delicious and seems to be replenished magically. The service is friendly without being fawning, and fantastic. I really, really like this place.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank rebogamy
Adamstown, MD
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An undiscovered gem?”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Shab Row Bistro and Wine Bar in Frederick, Maryland wasn't crowded on a Friday night. But why? The food is excellent and the choice of wines select but imaginative. Maybe it's because the restaurant is located on Shab Row off the beaten path of Market Street's main drag for restaurants and bars.

The salads are exquisite compositions of greens, vegetables and fuits. I recommend the plum salad, which combines sweet and savory elements with a light vinagrette.

The entrees are a nice selection of carefully cooked meats and fish with enough heft to them to leave you not feeling hungry.

Shab Row also has a mixologist at the bar who creates out-of-the-ordinary cocktails with homemade infusions and delights in explaining the ingredients.

My advice is to go before this restaurant gets too crowded.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank jaaker
Maryland
“Croque Monsieur & wine”
Reviewed May 5, 2012

Stopped here on a whim during downtown Frederick's Mayfair. Don't know if I was super hungry or if that was the best croque Monsieur I've ever had, probably a little of both.

Wine tasting in the back helped me find a reasonably priced and delicious Pinot grigio and a great red ( Nero).

Plan on going back for date night.