“Love the Black Hog”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I wish I could say going to Black Hog was a planned event, but it was just a simple decision made while driving around Fredrick. It was a sound choice as everything we had was excellent. The space is a little small, and could get crowded pretty quick when it gets busy, but we got a table right away and began reviewing the menu. The sweet tea was really good, five star on that one, and the staff was quick and pleasant. The dry rubbed ribs were sweet, smokey and did not need sauce. While they were dry rubbed, they were not dry in the least. The Arkansas BBQ beef was sweet, almost too sweet when eating it after another item, but different, really good. The pulled pork was moist, but not a lot of flavor, the KC sauce helped with that one. The mac and cheese was well cooked and not super mushy and the potato salad has firm pieces of potato, and lots of egg, which I like, it may not be for everyone. The cole slaw was cold and crisp and nicely shredded with just enough dressing.

Overall it was a great meal and a place I would definately return to or recommend to others. Once you try it, you'll fall in love with Black Hog too.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

If you want a fun experience in downtown Frederick, Maryland, but want to spend only a reasonable amount of money, go to the Black Hog BBQ restaurant on South Market Street. You can share a large pile of fries with your friends, and get a variety of well-made meats - chicken, pork, beef, including wings, brisket, ribs and pulled meat. Plan to eat an early dinner or go mid-week, or plan to wait. The place is popular.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have been a regular patron at the Black Hog since its opening - both at the Frederick and Urbana locations. My friends and I look forward to stopping there frequently after work to catch up, drink, eat, and to also catch up with a lot of the staff who we have come to know over the years. We also order meals to bring home to other family members on a regular basis because, the food is really good!

Having said that, I am really disappointed that this restaurant owner had my Jeep Wrangler towed from the Frederick B. Hog location a few Saturdays ago, before lunchtime! I made what I thought to be, a responsible decision to leave it parked, since I had been drinking wine. I actually find it terribly egotistical, of a restaurant owner with a bar, to not allow a patron until dinnertime (or 24 hrs.) of the following day to retrieve a vehicle left in their lot! Since this is the first time I had ever found myself in this situation, I was shocked at all we had to go through to get it out of the impound lot. Since the impound fee was $265 and they would not accept anything but cash, I had to pull some strings to get the money before 4:00 when I was told I’d be charged an additional $40 storage fee.

Obviously, the owner of the Black Hog doesn’t believe in giving “benefit of the doubt” in a situation like this and won’t care to stop to think that you may be a long-time BH patron who (shocker!) may have made a responsible not to drive away from his restaurant after a few beers, so consider yourself warned! I personally no longer care either way, since I won’t make the mistake of setting foot in any of his establishments from here on out. I don’t care to give my business to an owner of a restaurant who sells alcohol but can’t wrap his brain around the fact that someone may actually find themselves in a situation where they may need to leave their vehicle parked in his lot for the night! Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth…

1  Thank Patsy63
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We share the two meat platter and order an extra side.
The homemade potato salad and Mac N Cheese are yummy!
I love the Arkansas BBQ and we usually order the Brisket as well.
No frills, inexpensive dinner and it is great!

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I try to stop at Black Hog whenever I am in the area and I always get the rib and one meat platter. Love the ribs, and the Arkansas Beef BBQ is fantastic! The platter includes two sides plus cornbread. Black Hog has a great beer selection, and our waitress really knew her beers. Outdoor seating is available.