New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Il Porto

Il Porto
Ranked #8 of 390 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: This is a wonderful Italian restaurant. Mr. Cruz and his staff do a splendid job with food and service. I highly recommend it.
Middletown, Maryland, United States
“Good food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

We went to Il Porto late Saturday evening, and though it was extremely busy, we were greeted and seated promptly. The table was presented nicely with a white tablecloth and napkin, and fresh flowers in a vase. Our waiter was very friendly and efficient, and our food was served timely. The cheese ravioli was delicious, and the marinara sauce was mildly seasoned. My husband ordered veal parmigiana which he thoroughly enjoyed. We ordered the fried zucchini as an appetizer, and while it was very good, it could benefit from some dipping sauce. The bread basket had a nice variety of ciabatta and crusty breads. Overall a great experience - we will continue to visit Il Porto for great Italian food.

• Visited January 2013

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great Italian”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

A wonderful atmosphere for an Italian dinner! The food is delicious! I would go there over other Italian restaurants every time.

Visited March 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

Went as part of a large, confused group--many people, many ages, many preferences. The wait staff waited, suggested, assisted and served us well. Food was good with many dishes and various price points. Delicious sangria - fresh fruit and good flavor (not soggy, old fruit). I recommend this restaurant if you find yourself on that end of Frederick, a little bit off the beaten path. (Note - I lived in Italy and grew up with a huge group of Italian Americans so I know Italian food. I'm not giving out four stars willy-nilly. Food was really 3.5 stars, because the lettuces could've been more interesting, and tomato slices more lovely, but the sauces are worthy of four stars. We were treated really well by everyone in the place and our large group was accomodated perfectly.)

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Richmond, VA
“Nice Italian Meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

Il Porto...is a nice little Italian restaurant with excpetional service. We enjoyed a Friday night dinner there with all the tables full which made for a loud dining experience. The ambiance of the old building means poor acoustics...but it was a small price to pay for dining in the historic building.

The menu is nothing out of the ordinary and the food is very good. We started with nice house salads and Italian bread dipped in olive oil. The bread was so-so...it could have been better, but my waistline was probably spared some expansion since I did not over do the bread!

The service is exceptional and the waitstaff is most accommodating. I had a special request since I am allergic to shrimp...and they were happy to substitute clams in the Fra Diablo. The sauce was tasty with a little kick...but not too spicy.

Visited November 2012
Frederick, Maryland
“Veal Piccata....yum.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

We love going to Il Porto. Our meals tonight were really good, as they have always been. I can't seem to stop ordering the veal piccata....this is the best I have had. But, I was tempted by one of the specials on the menu. Unable to decide, the waiter was gracious enough to let me order the veal and then substitute a smaller portion of the lobster ravioli for my side dish at a small additional charge. I got to have a taste of both of the entrees. The lobster ravioli was absolutely wonderful... creamy with great lobster flavor. My husband enjoys the traditional red sauce pastas there and tonight's meat ravioli made him very happy. The restaurant also just happens to have one of our favorite wines in their wine list. The atmosphere is very comfortable and relaxing with nice views out the windows. Happy Anniversary to us!

• Visited November 2012