“Good Italian for mid part of a state” 3 of 5 bubbles

Olives
Ranked #74 of 398 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Clinton, NJ
“Good Italian for mid part of a state”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

Veal with spinach, chicken parm were tasty. Mushroom soup of the day was very good. Would have prefered thinner al dente spaghetti with sauce as the side instead of unsauced thick as served. We didn't have a reservation for 4 and they found a spot quickly for us. Do ask the price of glass of wine being recommended since it was the more expensive one.

• Visited November 2013

“Love this place!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

Eclectic atmosphere. You don't see many restaurants with murals everywhere. Lively bar. This is one of the places where we enjoy dining while in Frederick. This time the food was particularly good. My husband and son ordered the stuffed mushrooms to start, which they said were light and delicious. The chicken parmigiana was the best I have ever had. It was breaded but not fried and the sauce was perfect, tasting like tomato, not sugar, tender and yummy. The guys ordered veal saltimbocca and a shrimp entree with lemon balsamic, which they enjoyed. The accompanying house salad was fresh and lightly dressed. Our server was attentive, pleasant and efficient. Wine list is limited but adequate. We dine here several times a year. The food is generally better than average, but this time the food was outstanding, hence four stars, not five.

• Visited October 2013
Richmond, Virginia
“Apathetic staff and very forgettable food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

This is one of those experiences that is just too interesting to not share. To begin with, it was entirely too dark in the restaurant, and we were there in the middle of a sunny day. And the decor is something that just didn't have a point. It was very sullen, dark, confusing, and haphazard.

We were seated at a table that was so uneven that it felt like it was sitting on a speed bump. So we moved to another table that was almost as bad. Finally we moved to a third table and I thought it was ok until I leaned on it and nearly knocked my glass on the floor. It's obvious that every time someone complains about the useless tables that nobody does a thing about it, causing frustration for the next patron, and so on. So I did what was convenient and used my spoon to prop up the uneven leg. I attached a picture to give you a good laugh.

The service was a bit slow and not very attentive. And while we were sitting there they played the same Elton John song 4 times in a row, at which time I mentioned something to the clueless waiter and he said he didn't even notice. So they put something else on and wouldn't you know it, it was on repeat also. Just unbelievable lack of attention to detail.

Anyway, on to the food. I ordered a panini with prosciutto and mozzarella and it was just awful. I attached a pic to show how discolored the meat was, and I can assure you the taste was much worse than the picture. The cheese was very cheap quality cheese and the whole sandwich was so soggy it gave it the texture of a soaked sponge. It was a horrible sandwich and the fries were bad, too. How do you mess up fries? Somehow they did.

My daughter got spaghetti, which was just average, and the only reason I didn't give 1 star is because of the french toast brunch my wife ordered that was pretty good. It wasn't great, but it was very good. That's the only thing that saved this from getting just 1 star.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank David S
Frederick, Maryland
“Sittings with views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

I often select this restaurant to bring my visiting friends not because of the cuisine, but rather for the elegant and pleasant wall paintings that surround us while dining. The atmosphere is cozy, the servers are friendly, the views from different sitting areas are all wonderful to look at. The menu offers good Italian staples with various choices, however, all I can remember about the restaurant is the happy content each time as if I have dined in an European bistro.

• Visited September 2013
Frederick, Maryland
“A really great experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

My friend and I were looking for a place to have appetizers before going to a wine tasting and we decided on Olives. Wow! We ordered from the happy hour menu and were very impressed with our choices. The calamari may be the best that I have ever tasted--light, crispy served with a delightful lemon sauce. I don't believe that the lettuce was arugula which would have been a nice contrast to the tender seafood. The bruschetta was generous with 6 pieces--three different tastes. Very good service and pleasant atmosphere. And the iced tea was refreshing and delicious and our glasses were kept filled. Will return here. (Would like to have complimentary olives I heard that they used to offer.)

• Visited September 2013