“mexican/Spanish type food.”

Mexicali Cantina
Ranked #71 of 398 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Frederick, Maryland
“mexican/Spanish type food.”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

What makes Mexacali Cantina different is that they have a very diverse menu. From typical Mexican type to Spanish flavors. They also have seafood dishes. I always get there shredded beef with any dish and it is as good as my wifes Pot Roast, Excellant. You can cut it with a fork.

Visited March 2012
2 Thank Robert G

Seaford, Delaware
“Good food, nice atmosphere”
Reviewed February 24, 2012

This place has some of the best chips and salsa I have had. That alone makes it worth the trip. The service is very good and attentive. The restaurant is large and you feel like there is room between your table and other diners. The combination platters are great - although the fajitas we ordered were a bit overdone and a little dry. That will not stop my from trying them again. Will definitely go back.

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank wlk902
Olney, Maryland
“Food is just bland”
Reviewed January 22, 2012

Being raised in the Southwest, I know Mexican food. This place just does not know how to season this type of food. The salsa served with the chips is like diced tomatoes. I had to ask the server for jalapenos and hot sauce to flavor the flajitas. And the shrimp for the flajitas were sizzling at one end and the tail end was cold. Not room temp, not cool, cold.. Service was very good. Very attentive but not intrusive. Decor was appropriate and the restaurant was very clean.

I suppose that if you were raised on crabcakes this food might be hot, but its not close to the real stuff.

• Visited January 2012
3 Thank TEX2MD
Maryland
“Excellent Food!”
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Great place. Good authentic food. I've had some different specials here too that were exceptionally tasty. Price is reasonable for the amount and quality of food but a bit too pricey to go there all the time for lunch(on my salary anyway!). Service is good. Great place for a business luncheon. They have some separate rooms that can be reserved for no additional charge. Wait staff are nice. Place is a bit dark inside but other than that, I always like going there. I would recommend it to anyone!

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank crazyjaney6
Frederick
“A Poor Excuse for a Bad Chef”
Reviewed January 19, 2012

We used to come here for the half chicken and seasoned rice dinner until one experience with the food that was so bad we decided not to patronize the place any more. You have to wait upon coming in for someone to appear and to seat you, and then usually they are quick to take the order. The last time we went, the server disappeard, finally came back to take our order, and when my half chicken came, it was as if they had dumped the salt shaker all over it on purpose. I called the server back over and sent the dish back, explaining that I had had this several times before and it was never like this. She in turn called the manager over, I had to explain all over again, and he got defensive, telling me that "his brother was the chef and that he always made this dish that way." In other words, that I didn't know why I was complaining. He reluctantly took it away, and I asked him to credit the bill. I didn't want another selection from that "chef." So we got the bill and got out. I would have tried going back again but the manager's attitude that night was so poor, we just didn't bother. There are too many other, good restaurants in the area to put up with unnecessary insolence.

Visited September 2011