“Great Lunch Place”

Magoo's Pub and Eatery
Reserve with OpenTable
Magoo's Pub and Eatery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #92 of 407 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: N. Market St.
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We rose late and were looking for a place to have breakfast while walking in Frederick’s Historic District. We stopped and asked one of the locals who suggested Magoo’s, which was just a couple a block away. Magoo’s is an Irish Pub (it even has a countdown clock to let you know how long before the next St. Patrick’s Day) in the heart of Frederick’s Historic District. When we arrived it was just past 11am and Magoo’s had stopped serving breakfast and started serving lunch so we elected to get something that was brunch like. What a surprise. My wife ordered a cheese, Portobello mushroom and tomato sandwich for whole grain bread. Before my wife began to eat her sandwich she asked if there was any sesame on the bread (she is highly allergic to sesame of any type and usually asks when ordering but forgot this time). The waitress checked with the cook and said that there was sesame on the bread and offered to redo her sandwich on a brioche roll. Before the food was served the waitress made sure we had silverware and brought the condiments we needed. I ordered a cheese, grilled onion, and tomato sandwich or rye bread and French fries. Our food was excellent and the service was fantastic. If you visit Frederick Magoo’s is a must.

Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were visiting Frederick and ended up here for a drink after a concert. We were immediately welcomed into the restaurant by a few very friendly patrons. We had a wonderful time, drank some great craft beers, and excellent conversation. We will definitely be back!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

There were five if us for lunch on a nice winter day exploring downtown Frederick. My cousin picked this restaurant perhaps because of her pending trip to Ireland or because the servers wear kilts. Our waiter did wear a kilt and was very friendly. The two of our group that ordered the fish and chips liked their lunch. It was a good size portion and they said very tasty. One ordered bangers and mash. It was a smaller portion but she said the taste was OK. I had the tarragon chicken salad. It was OK. It came with a "side" of cole slaw that tasted store bought and not good. My sister had something new to the menu a sandwich with apples cheese and when she opened the bread I don't think there was a whole apple sliced for the sandwich and the fries all have "Old Bay". I love "Old Bay" on my crabs and some other dishes but it seemed out of character for an Irish pub. I think it may be a nice pub for drinks but I would not go back for food.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

I visited Magoo's with a co-worker while playing hookie from work early one Friday afternoon. We had a surprisingly great time. Jennifer, the owner, was the barmaid and introduced us to the other person sitting at the bar. My friend and I had a couple of enjoyable beers and he had the fish and chips. I don't eat while I drink since it interferes with my "buzz". He thought the food was great and he received a very large portion. The conversation between Jennifer, my friend and the other patron was humorus and witty. I enjoyed Magoo's so much that I wanted to return today but previous commitments prevent that. But like MacArthur to the PhilIipines, I shall return.

1  Thank Kenny G
Reviewed September 7, 2012

While I don't agree with internet bashing, in this circumstance, I find it imperative to give a helpful review to others considering eating at this establishment. First and foremost, at one point in time, this was a wonderful place to go in downtown Frederick. There is a downstairs pub that had a great, laid back environment, that didn't overcrowd like many bars in the area. That being the main reason I decided to bring out of town guests there, hoping they'd have a great experience too. I have never met a more course, arrogant bartender that continually received our tips (up until we realized that his demeanor wasn't going to change.) The concern here is that it wasn't only him but the owner/manager of the bar as well, who was completely insulting and left an appalling impression to my out of town guests. The ironic part is I supported the owner as she campaigned for Maryland's 6th Congressional District and mayoral reelection. I'm stating this to make it well known that I'm not with an opposing political party, simply trying to plant propaganda.

I'd like to make note that these were the only two staff members that I came across as ungracious, everyone else was very courteous and friendly. I'd also like to add that the food is still very good, to the cooks, you're doing your job very well! For future reference however, I suggest hiring bartenders and perhaps leading my example, to respect your patrons. You never know who they are, or what political connections they have, especially if you buy into speculation :)