“Way above expections”

Viet Gourmet
Ranked #316 of 405 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed March 8, 2010

I recently moved close by this restaurant. It doesn't look great from the outside, but the food is fantastic. Anyone can find something to eat here as they have a pretty big menu. The service is great and quick. You'll pay about $10-$15 for an entree.

6  Thank Maca54
There are newer reviews for Viet Gourmet

Reviewed November 25, 2009

We have family in Frederick and visit several times a year. While there are a surprising number of good restaurants in town, the Viet Gourmet is nearly always our first restaurant stop. We've been there maybe a dozen times so far and can't remember something that I didn't just love. The chef/owner cooks with a very sure hand, reflecting his years of experience at the Taste of Saigon in Tyson's Corner, one of the Washington, DC, area's better Vietnamese restaurants. It's hard to know what dishes to single out. As entrees, try the combination bun (vermicelli) or any of the black pepper dishes. The beef curry is sweet and delicious and not at all like other asian curries. The hot and sour shrimp soup is fabulous (unless okra as an ingredient doesn't appeal to you). The pho is quite wonderful and the broth seasoned just perfectly. The Vietnamese special salad is just my favorite rendition.

This is a pretty restaurant and the service, in my experience, is helpful and personal.

Overall, this is really an excellent little restaurant and it's great to have it in Frederick. Try it. You may become a regular.

6  Thank Ardbeg98
Reviewed November 24, 2009

While Frederick is a decent restaurant town, there are certain ethnic cuisines (mainly Asian) where there are no choices good enough to keep one from having to trek down to Montgomery County. For example, Thai food is really lacking, as is sushi, and any sort of Chinese that isn't a neighborhood takeout joint or a buffet. However, Viet Gourmet proves this is not the case when it comes to Vietnamese in Frederick.

Viet Gourmet is owned and operated by the former chef of Taste of Saigon in Tysons Corner and he has taken his signature dishes with him. The specialty of the house are the Black Pepper dishes (choice of shrimp, scallops, soft shell crab when in season, chicken, or tofu) with a peppery caramel sauce that's out of this world. However, I have found it's hard to go wrong with any dish I have tried here.

The special salad made with papaya and shrimp is a fabulous starter and could work as a meal. The summer rolls, dumplings, and calamari are all winning appetizers as well. Vermicelli dishes with grilled lemongrass pork, chicken, or beef are wonderful. For something out of the ordinary, there's a great quail dish and a delightful, crispy crepe. The coconut milk curry dishes feature another sauce up there with the Black Pepper dishes. The pho is very nice, perhaps a slight cut above your average pho place in DC and its suburbs (I realize there is a pretty high standard set there), but there are so many other interesting dishes on the large menu that it's hard to stick to the pho.

Service is very friendly - I believe the waiters are the owners' sons and they are very personable and accommodating. The restaurant has a fine atmosphere, both attractive and comfortable - surprising since I believe the former tenant was a convenience store. Frederick has other decent Vietnamese choices in Viet Aroma and Lucky Corner, but the lack of ambience doesn't draw me in-- this is not the case at Viet Gourmet.

My feeling is you can't go wrong at Viet Gourmet. If you're not familiar with Vietnamese cuisine, just ask for recommendations and they will do right by you. Prices are basically give-away, considering the quality. They have a full bar, including "33" beer from Vietnam which accompanies the food perfectly. No more trips to Rockville or Gaithersburg for Vietnamese for us! This ranks as one of my five favorites in Frederick.

8  Thank hawknoah
Reviewed October 21, 2009

Last night was the first time i came by Viet Gourmet restaurant, but i love their food. the foods are so excellent , and the service is reallly nice and friendly. now this place is my favorite restaurant.

3  Thank FrederickJenny
Reviewed October 18, 2009

I am not familiar with this type of food so I was eager to try it. Plus, was glad to have a 25% off coupon. Unfortunately, it was the worst food I have ever had. I got the lemon chicken over noodles. The chicken tasted old and dead, a very odd taste and texture. We also got the sampler platter for appetizer. The calamari tasted old too and did the beef stuffed grape leaves. I know the owners are trying to make a go of it but this certainly isn't the way. My husband, who is familiar with Vietnamese food thought my dish was horrible also. I would never recommend this place. The bad thing....we forgot to use our coupon. What a waste of money.

1  Thank foodieFrederick