“Avoid the Red Wattle Pork”
Review of Volt

Volt
Reserve with OpenTable
Volt is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 429 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Between 2nd and 3rd Street
Description: VOLT offers guests a menu of modern American cuisine. The focus of our cuisine is based on classic flavor combinations, creating sophisticated dishes that emphasize purity and seasonal flavors that are based on fundamental and innovative cooking techniques. VOLT's relationship with local artisan farmers ensures availability of products to fulfill the philosophy behind the menu, in a refined, historic venue where classic meets modern. By design, the restaurant follows along the original footprint of the mansions first floor parlors. Both the 38 seat main dining room and the bar/lounge open off the foyer. The original mosaic tile in the foyer was the inspiration behind the warm monochromatic color palette that adorns the finishes in VOLT. Private dining can be hosted in the conservatory offering views of the expansive courtyard. The 700 square foot kitchen afforded space to include up to 20 guests.
Reviewed October 27, 2010

I was looking forward to eating at Volt. We planned our Civil War Battleground tour so we could stay in Frederick, MD and eat at Volt. The restaurant is lovely. The wait people, servers, and Sommelier were impeccable. Sidea-purified water at no extra charge is excellent when restaurants charge from $1 to $3.50 per person elsewhere. The ravioli were excellent, just too few. The PROBLEM was with the Red Wattle Pork. I asked the waitperson SPECIFICALLY how it was cooked. She told me it was slow-roasted for hours. The pork was TERRIBLE, TOUGH, INEDIBLE. I should have sent it back. It had no flavor and was impossible to chew. The General Manager came and asked me how the food was and I told him HOW BAD the pork dish was and that if I were judging Chef Voltaggio on that dish on Iron Chef, he would get a really low score. Then, the GM told me the pork was cooked SOUS VIDE, not slow roasted (a method that would have yielded flavor and tenderness). So, shortcuts were taken on my dish--an expensive entree at $31. Passing off a poorly prepared expensive menu item that was supposed to be prepared a different way altogether is, in my view, fraudulent. I was so happy to be there that my instincts didn't kick in until I left that I should have sent that HORRIBLE PORK BACK TO THE KITCHEN. I won't be going out of my way to visit Volt again. I will go straight to Vetri in Philly.

Reviewed October 12, 2010

We recently had an absolutely amazing meal at Table 21. It consists of 21 courses served over about 3.5 hours. The portions are perfect in that you taste enough to get the full flavor of the dish and yet can actually eat all 21 courses. It is also wonderful to sit in the kitchen and witness the preparation first hand. Courses vary daily, ours included seven different kinds of seafood (tuna, sturgeon, artic char, hamachi, barramundi, lobster, scallop) plus chicken, lamb, beef and several desserts. There are no wine pairings, but there 4 of us and so we followed the recommendation of one bottle each of champagne, white, and finished with red. The only other thing to mention is that while Chef Bryan V. is a wonderful chef, he appeared to be on the shy side when we were there. We had to ask that he come back to the kitchen so that we could meet him and chat briefly. He was happy to speak with us when we made the request, but it was not something I think he would have done absent our request.

Reviewed September 11, 2010

We rented a car and drove here from DC specifically for dinner. (Yes, we watch Top Chef). The earlier reviews reflect our experience - we loved our dinner. We each ordered different four-course a la carte dinners and shared everything 50/50, in order to taste as much as possible. Food was flavorful and well-presented.

The service was very good (not perfect, but nothing is). The staff is young, very courteous, and efficient. I inquired about the location of the bathroom and I was provided with an escort, which I thought was a bit "over the top" as far as service, until I was introduced to the "sliding door". Then I knew why I had gotten an escort - it can be a bit confusing finding one's way :-) The bonus to this trip is that on the way you can peer into the kitchen and see Bryan expediting.

The assistant sommelier did not, at first, instill confidence due to his youthful appearance and mannerism, but he proved to be capable and recommended a good wine for us.

Prices were reasonable for the quality - certainly not cheap, but the quality was high enough to provide good value for us. The atmosphere and staff is not at all pretentious. Guests are made to feel welcome.

Cost for two of us, with a modest bottle of wine, one cocktail each, four courses each, including tax and tip was about $225. We could have economized by eliminating the cocktails and one of the courses, but this was a one-time event for us since we live in California.

1  Thank SFCAcruiser
Reviewed September 2, 2010

My parents, my husband and I ate lunch at Volt last Saturday afternoon. None of us had ever been, and like many people who go here we went after watching the battling brothers on Top Chef last season. All I can say is, after eating Brian's food I can't imagine what his brother had to cook in order to beat him. The food was outstanding. Truly, truly impeccable.

While everyone else at the table went for the 3 course pre fix menu, I (figuring this may be the only time I get here) opted for the 5 course tasting menu. This worked out perfectly as between the 4 of us we all got to try everything on the menu. My first course was a plate of different heirloom tomatoes which were so fresh that my non-tomato eating husband kept stealing them from me. The second course was a goat cheese ravioli which we again fought over. By the third course my family was stealing extra forks from the ever so accommodating wait staff to invade my plate. I had striped bass, then hanger steak before hitting the cheesecake. All were bursting with flavor, yet simple enough that you could taste the ingredients.

There were 2 small things that I would tell the owner(s) if I could for suggestions. The first is that the bathroom doors, which slide open, are just confusing to everyone. Then again, maybe we just weren't the sharpest knives in the drawer after the wine pairings. The second thing was when we left we were given muffins for the road. We thought, perfect! Something for later to remember the place by. Turns out the muffins weren't so great that day. I kind of wished it weren't the last thing we tasted as everything else was so memorable and delicious. Anyhow... forget the muffins, they didn't really matter. It was still a phenominal restaurant experience which I'd highly recommend.

1  Thank rlg1977
Reviewed August 17, 2010

When I say that Volt was one of the best restaurants I've ever been to, I don't say that lightly. I've been to many restaurants, many with price tags much higher than Volt's, but they managed to pull it off unlike anywhere else I've visited recently. The food was exquisite, the service was impeccable, and the entire experience was a delight. Some of the dishes were better than others, obviously, but each dish exhibited careful thought and inspiration. It's apparent how much the chefs here really love food.

The service was probably the best of any restaurant I've ever patronized. Seriously. Thomas Keller should be getting some tips from these guys because the employees here blew his out of the water.

It really couldn't have been a better experience. I'll definitely be returning - soon.

Been to Volt? Share your experiences!