“Lives up to the hype”
Review of Volt

Volt
Reserve with OpenTable
Volt is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 405 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Between 2nd and 3rd Street
Description: VOLT offers guests a menu of modern American cuisine. The focus of our cuisine is based on classic flavor combinations, creating sophisticated dishes that emphasize purity and seasonal flavors that are based on fundamental and innovative cooking techniques. VOLT's relationship with local artisan farmers ensures availability of products to fulfill the philosophy behind the menu, in a refined, historic venue where classic meets modern. By design, the restaurant follows along the original footprint of the mansions first floor parlors. Both the 38 seat main dining room and the bar/lounge open off the foyer. The original mosaic tile in the foyer was the inspiration behind the warm monochromatic color palette that adorns the finishes in VOLT. Private dining can be hosted in the conservatory offering views of the expansive courtyard. The 700 square foot kitchen afforded space to include up to 20 guests.
Reviewed September 11, 2010

We rented a car and drove here from DC specifically for dinner. (Yes, we watch Top Chef). The earlier reviews reflect our experience - we loved our dinner. We each ordered different four-course a la carte dinners and shared everything 50/50, in order to taste as much as possible. Food was flavorful and well-presented.

The service was very good (not perfect, but nothing is). The staff is young, very courteous, and efficient. I inquired about the location of the bathroom and I was provided with an escort, which I thought was a bit "over the top" as far as service, until I was introduced to the "sliding door". Then I knew why I had gotten an escort - it can be a bit confusing finding one's way :-) The bonus to this trip is that on the way you can peer into the kitchen and see Bryan expediting.

The assistant sommelier did not, at first, instill confidence due to his youthful appearance and mannerism, but he proved to be capable and recommended a good wine for us.

Prices were reasonable for the quality - certainly not cheap, but the quality was high enough to provide good value for us. The atmosphere and staff is not at all pretentious. Guests are made to feel welcome.

Cost for two of us, with a modest bottle of wine, one cocktail each, four courses each, including tax and tip was about $225. We could have economized by eliminating the cocktails and one of the courses, but this was a one-time event for us since we live in California.

1  Thank SFCAcruiser
There are newer reviews for Volt

Reviewed September 2, 2010

My parents, my husband and I ate lunch at Volt last Saturday afternoon. None of us had ever been, and like many people who go here we went after watching the battling brothers on Top Chef last season. All I can say is, after eating Brian's food I can't imagine what his brother had to cook in order to beat him. The food was outstanding. Truly, truly impeccable.

While everyone else at the table went for the 3 course pre fix menu, I (figuring this may be the only time I get here) opted for the 5 course tasting menu. This worked out perfectly as between the 4 of us we all got to try everything on the menu. My first course was a plate of different heirloom tomatoes which were so fresh that my non-tomato eating husband kept stealing them from me. The second course was a goat cheese ravioli which we again fought over. By the third course my family was stealing extra forks from the ever so accommodating wait staff to invade my plate. I had striped bass, then hanger steak before hitting the cheesecake. All were bursting with flavor, yet simple enough that you could taste the ingredients.

There were 2 small things that I would tell the owner(s) if I could for suggestions. The first is that the bathroom doors, which slide open, are just confusing to everyone. Then again, maybe we just weren't the sharpest knives in the drawer after the wine pairings. The second thing was when we left we were given muffins for the road. We thought, perfect! Something for later to remember the place by. Turns out the muffins weren't so great that day. I kind of wished it weren't the last thing we tasted as everything else was so memorable and delicious. Anyhow... forget the muffins, they didn't really matter. It was still a phenominal restaurant experience which I'd highly recommend.

1  Thank rlg1977
Reviewed August 17, 2010

When I say that Volt was one of the best restaurants I've ever been to, I don't say that lightly. I've been to many restaurants, many with price tags much higher than Volt's, but they managed to pull it off unlike anywhere else I've visited recently. The food was exquisite, the service was impeccable, and the entire experience was a delight. Some of the dishes were better than others, obviously, but each dish exhibited careful thought and inspiration. It's apparent how much the chefs here really love food.

The service was probably the best of any restaurant I've ever patronized. Seriously. Thomas Keller should be getting some tips from these guys because the employees here blew his out of the water.

It really couldn't have been a better experience. I'll definitely be returning - soon.

Reviewed July 27, 2010

For my husband's birthday, I surprised him with a mini-vacation to Frederick, MD and reservations at VOLT. Not only did we get to eat at a Top Chef restaurant, but we dined at Table 21 (their 21-course tasting menu served in the kitchen of the restaurant)!

This was, without a doubt, the very best meal I’ve ever eaten! The incredible food, the experience of sitting in a real working kitchen, getting to meet Chef Voltaggio – everything about our meal was amazing!

I'm finding it hard to pick a favorite dish of the night...but the pork belly, goat cheese ravioli, halibut with white truffles and textures of chocolate dessert were all stand-outs in my mind.

I honestly can’t believe we ate all 21 courses - but everything was so delicious we didn't want to stop!! You practically had to roll us out of the restaurant!

I wish there were more restaurants like this closer to CT!

Reviewed July 18, 2010

I had the pleasure of returning for lunch with my family after eating at Volt a couple months ago myself. Chef Bryan is truly a Top Chef with a capital TC. Each dish was outstanding in all respects - appearance was beautiful, textures were varied, and most of all, DELICIOUS! Service was friendly, but not overbearing. Dishes were completely described and each contained several components. They have an open kitchen which I looked at for a while and the cooks were friendly and explained what they were doing. I would love to return sometime for dinner at "Table 21" - the seats around the open kitchen in which they prepare and serve the dishes right there. I just loved everything about the meal and would highly recommend it.

1  Thank HHIInnkeepers