“Only for sophisticated diners” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Volt

Volt
Reserve with OpenTable
Volt is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 385 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Between 2nd and 3rd Street
Description: VOLT offers guests a menu of modern American cuisine. The focus of our cuisine is based on classic flavor combinations, creating sophisticated dishes that emphasize purity and seasonal flavors that are based on fundamental and innovative cooking techniques. VOLT's relationship with local artisan farmers ensures availability of products to fulfill the philosophy behind the menu, in a refined, historic venue where classic meets modern. By design, the restaurant follows along the original footprint of the mansions first floor parlors. Both the 38 seat main dining room and the bar/lounge open off the foyer. The original mosaic tile in the foyer was the inspiration behind the warm monochromatic color palette that adorns the finishes in VOLT. Private dining can be hosted in the conservatory offering views of the expansive courtyard. The 700 square foot kitchen afforded space to include up to 20 guests.
“Only for sophisticated diners”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Ignore the less than 5 star reviews you see here, for Volt is the kind of place where discerning adults go to have their palates challenged by a master chef, not overgrown children who would be better off eating chicken fingers and tater tots at Applebee's. This is exceptional food and it will funk with your head, and it is one of the best restaurants in America. Trust me.

1 Thank Scrappleking

Bethesda, Maryland, United States
“Mixed bag”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

With great anticipation, my husband, mother and two friends went to Volt. The service was spectacular -- there are no words to describe how well we were taken care of. Additionally, the food presentation was great. We all had the meat tasting menu and were quite full by the time we left. That being said, my husband in particular was disappointed by the heavy cuisine at Volt. In particular, the mushroom portion of our tasting menu was served on a bed of oats -- very heavy! The squid pasta was heavy as well. The lamb itself was delicious, but again was served on a heavy bed of grain. The arctic char, scallops and dessert were scrumptious. However, I don't think we will go back to Volt anytime soon. I guess Chef Voltaggio's vision of cuisine doesn't match ours.

1 Thank Debbie G
FL
“Very Disappointing!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

We went there for my "special" birthday. There were 10 of us, including 4 children, one of whom was a baby. We had our own room, which stayed cold for over 1/2 hr. Then it got hot but quickly turned cold throughout our two-hour stay.(It was in the 20's outside!). The portions were small intentionally. Howver, the soup was lukewarm as was the pasta. My main course was the short ribs--almost raw! The rolls were delicious tho. Since we only visit this area, we definitely wouldn't return. My daughters and their family have crossed this restaurant off their list. Too bad as Frederick is a delightful town.

3 Thank rgerns
Melbourne, Australia
“Spectacular food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

There is no doubting the the food here was great (the lamb was perfect, as was the calamari bolognese) but some dishes missed the mark (the carrots with cheese snow?). Moreover the price ranges for what are essentially small tasting plates was astronomical.

Similarly the wine list had some excellent choices but all straying into the very high price range. A glass of wine recommended to us was also not very good.

The service was very attentive and knowledgeable but occasionally a little condescending (not sure that's the right word). The waiter gave us the impression we had somehow chosen our dishes poorly.

All in all it was interesting dinner event but I think other restaurants (even with similar concepts, like Charleston in Baltimore) offer a better overall experience.

MD
“Not my style...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I understand that VOLT is a top chef restaurant and in being so, I found the food delicious. Almost everything we ate had some sort of a surprising taste in it. What I didn't appreciate was the portions that we were given. I don't mind paying higher price for dinner if it matches what I receive but paying 28$ for short ribs and 21$ for squab and there was virtually nothing to share because the portions were too small...apparently we were told this is a European style of dining. I have been to Europe and portions that small are called tapas found in Spain. So all in all, the food was delicious but the portions to small...just not my style of dinner.