“Visit the Restaurant of a Top Chef Winner”
Review of Volt

Volt
Reserve with OpenTable
Volt is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 402 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Between 2nd and 3rd Street
Description: VOLT offers guests a menu of modern American cuisine. The focus of our cuisine is based on classic flavor combinations, creating sophisticated dishes that emphasize purity and seasonal flavors that are based on fundamental and innovative cooking techniques. VOLT's relationship with local artisan farmers ensures availability of products to fulfill the philosophy behind the menu, in a refined, historic venue where classic meets modern. By design, the restaurant follows along the original footprint of the mansions first floor parlors. Both the 38 seat main dining room and the bar/lounge open off the foyer. The original mosaic tile in the foyer was the inspiration behind the warm monochromatic color palette that adorns the finishes in VOLT. Private dining can be hosted in the conservatory offering views of the expansive courtyard. The 700 square foot kitchen afforded space to include up to 20 guests.
Frederick, MD
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Visit the Restaurant of a Top Chef Winner”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I thought the food was good but the portions small. I also thought the prices were extremely high!!!

1 Thank Ronnie O

Boston, MA
“Nice experience at brunch”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My wife and I had the brunch menu last Sunday and it was really tasty for $100 -- two starters, two mains, two desserts, two espresso, and two cocktails. We didn't have reservations and had brunch at the bar which turned out to be a great experience as others have noted that the dinner service in the main rooms may be snooty(?). The bar was completely empty for Sunday brunch and the wait staff and bar tender treated us really well. In fact the bar tender spent some time with us and we were able to pick his brain about cocktails ideas. In terms of food, to be brief, it was delicious, playful, and executed well. We had the assorted biscuits, the beet-goat cheese salad, crab salad, rabbit with hen-of-the-woods+pumpernickel pasta, lamb on farro, biscuits and gravy, and the rasberry and chocolate deserts. It is comparable to any fine dining experience I've had in New York, Boston, Paris, Vegas... in terms of total execution. Others have complained about the price, but it is what you'd expect for a high end place. We would go back.

1 Thank uvabrian
Ellicott City, MD
“best brunch ever”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Our son treated me and my husband to brunch to celebrate my birthday. We went yesterday, and have to say it was one of the best dining experiences we have ever had.We sat in the kitchen, and the action there was a virtual ballet of economic motion and maximum production. The kitchen staff was welcoming and the serving staff did an impeccable job--always handy but not obtrusive. Of course, the best part was the food. Over the top delicious and beautifully presented. We enjoyed the three-course brunch and finished feeling full but not uncomfortable. I appreciated the crab dish with avocado even more after watching kitchen staff prepare a mountain of avocados, pressing them through a chinoise. Just perfect. Absolutely worth the price. We'll be back.

Monrovia, Md
“VERY dissappointing 50th birthday”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

For my 50th birthday all I wanted was to feel like a judge on Top Chef and taste amazing food. What better gift than to be at Table 21 and have that experience from one of the chefs I had thought should have won the title.  I realized that the possibility of the famous Bryan Voltaggio cooking the night of my birthday was slim, so I was prepared to just enjoy the food prepared by his highly trained chefs.

I am so very sorry to say that very little lived up to my expectations. Some of the dishes were very tasty: The Chips and Dip, the Celery Soup,the Beets,  the Sturgeon, the foie gras and surprisingly  the Sweet Bread.  So many of the dishes were merely OK, but a few were awful, and I am not a picky eater in the least.  Many of the dishes had a similar flavor and nothing made me feel like I was tasting food made by a top chef.

The presentations interesting, some very unappetizing.  My husband and I, as well as another couple who were seated with us loved all the custom dishes and the beauty of it all. But even the other couple was extremely disappointed in much of the food, and like us, food was left on the plate.

The sommelier who was “taking care of us”, TJ, was very knowledgeable about the wines, but he seemed very rushed and more interested in spending time with a table of four sitting behind us.  I was told I would be pampered, and not only did I not feel pampered, there was not one single mention about my birthday, or about the events the other couples were celebrating.  However, they found the time to bring out a dessert with a candle and sing happy birthday to the table behind us.

When I go to a restaurant and the food is not good, I say so, and it is replaced or taken off the bill. When I mentioned things that were bad to TJ, he just looked insulted and made no offer to amend the situation. For the money we spent, this was a very disappointing evening.  If I had actually been a judge this night, these chefs would be “packing their knifes.”

I did send this letter to Voltaggio and have heard nothing back.

6 Thank Laurie B
Columbia, MD
“Disappointed”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We went to Volt last Saturday night. Our reservations were at 8:30. We opted for the 4 course menu and it took over three hours. We waited 30 minutes between some courses. After the 3rd course I asked for coffee to be brought "with the dessert" to try and speed things up. We got the coffee right away and 20 mins later the dessert appeared. At the end of the meal we told our waiter that the pacing needed to be improved and he never apologized, but was rather patronizing. The food was tasty, but the service was very disappointing. For $400 you'd expect much more.

4 Thank Barbara M