“Long wait”
Review of Volt

Volt
Reserve with OpenTable
Volt is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 405 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Between 2nd and 3rd Street
Description: VOLT offers guests a menu of modern American cuisine. The focus of our cuisine is based on classic flavor combinations, creating sophisticated dishes that emphasize purity and seasonal flavors that are based on fundamental and innovative cooking techniques. VOLT's relationship with local artisan farmers ensures availability of products to fulfill the philosophy behind the menu, in a refined, historic venue where classic meets modern. By design, the restaurant follows along the original footprint of the mansions first floor parlors. Both the 38 seat main dining room and the bar/lounge open off the foyer. The original mosaic tile in the foyer was the inspiration behind the warm monochromatic color palette that adorns the finishes in VOLT. Private dining can be hosted in the conservatory offering views of the expansive courtyard. The 700 square foot kitchen afforded space to include up to 20 guests.
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Hopefully, this has been resolved. We were there when they first opened and it was unorganized. Long wait with just an apology note sent. No incentive to return.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

We were in Frederick, MD for the night in anticipation of a hot air balloon flight early the next morning with Tailwinds Over Frederick (which also turned out to be a fantastic experience). Since Volt has been hyped so much via Top Chef and other media outlets, I was curious to see if it would live up to the hype. It did.

We did the 4-course tasting menu. Our choices (blue crab/goat cheese ravioli with mushrooms/bass/apple dessert for me; blue crab/arctic char/lamb/chocolate dessert for him) were creatively put together and presented. I could have eaten several orders of the blue crab course (blue crab pieces with rice wrapped up in a little roll) and the goat cheese and mushroom ravioli. :) The bass was simply prepared, and very well prepared. My apple dessert was the least exciting course, with little cubes of pound-cake-like substance and not too much of an apple flavor, but I can honestly say the other 3 courses were amazing. My companion agreed (and he also loved his dessert).

What set Volt apart for us was the service. It was friendly and super-attentive without being intrusive, stuffy or contrived. Multiple people 'help' you (in addition to your waiter, you have a bread person and a couple of different people bringing out each course and explaining what's on your plate). Everyone seemed very happy to be there, knowledgeable about the menu, and invested in your experience - no attitude of caring only about 'their' tables or being stressed out.

As someone who eats fish/seafood but no other meat, I felt particularly well treated. I asked a few questions about various items on the menu (which are described in terms of ingredients rather than preparation). The waiter said, "So you're a pescaterian?" and I said yes, and he was very helpful in pointing out things that were vegetarian, could be made vegetarian, and/or were fish only. The amuse-bouche that came out - tiny meringues - was a vegetarian version for me (the waiter pointed out there was no gelatin in it) and my companion got a meat version. I appreciated the thoughtfulness, and it's honestly very rare.

The street Volt is on - and downtown Frederick in general - is also very cute and charming, with lots of little shops. There is free parking for Volt guests adjacent to/behind the restaurant.

1  Thank thegreatlizby
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I had the pleasure of being taken to Volt for lunch as a birthday present. The food was excellent and the service was impeccable.

Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

We stumbled upon Volt without reservations but they accommodated us at the bar. The menu and service were superb. Each item was perfection including the carefully mixed drinks. We will plan ahead next time and make reservations.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

My husband and I decided to head up to Frederick for cocktails and bar bites at Volt's lounge. The hostess greeted us upon arrival and invited to the lounge area. Once there, we were completely ignored. We sat near the leather sofa and table where another party was being served. Not once did the server acknowledge us or look in our direction. We sat there for 20 minutes with servers and bartenders buzzing around within inches of us and attending to the other groups in the lounge. Even if the bartenders thought we were waiting to be seated for dinner, they could have offered us cocktail menus. My husband eventually had to get up from his seat, walk over to the bar and ask one of the bartenders for service. Once we got their attention the service was okay but my husband refuses to go back because he thinks the service was discrimatory. I've been to Volt a few times before and I have say this was the first time that the service was so bad. I probably will not return anytime soon.

2  Thank Jenzai

Been to Volt? Share your experiences!