“Terrific experience, like going to the theater!”
Review of Volt

Volt
Reserve with OpenTable
Volt is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 407 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Between 2nd and 3rd Street
Description: VOLT offers guests a menu of modern American cuisine. The focus of our cuisine is based on classic flavor combinations, creating sophisticated dishes that emphasize purity and seasonal flavors that are based on fundamental and innovative cooking techniques. VOLT's relationship with local artisan farmers ensures availability of products to fulfill the philosophy behind the menu, in a refined, historic venue where classic meets modern. By design, the restaurant follows along the original footprint of the mansions first floor parlors. Both the 38 seat main dining room and the bar/lounge open off the foyer. The original mosaic tile in the foyer was the inspiration behind the warm monochromatic color palette that adorns the finishes in VOLT. Private dining can be hosted in the conservatory offering views of the expansive courtyard. The 700 square foot kitchen afforded space to include up to 20 guests.
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I have been to Volt three times and every time come away thoroughly pleased. I have only gone for lunch- haven't been able to get a reservation for dinner, but lunch is just so much fun and decadent I worry it would be way too stuffy at dinner. The wine list is fantastic, service is always impeccable and the food is fantastic. Maybe a little heavy on the meringue inspired vegetable items this last go round, but that is just picking.

I wanted to be a hater after so much hype about this place, but I am definitely a believer and so thankful it is in Frederick, MD rather than in DC!

Reviewed August 14, 2011

Supurb dining. The tuna tartare starter was excellent. Very flavorful and the perfect size. Sashimi of fluke looked wonderful also. Both the halibut and rockfish were to die for. The halibut was firm but flaky and the taste was devine. The rockfish with skin on was quite lovely. The apple and chocolate texture deserts were the perfect way to finish the evening. Volt's sommelier looks too young to drink but he knows his stuff. The Montalcino white he recommended was the perfect accompaniement to the two fishes.

1  Thank Rockrolex
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Ok, let me first say I have a dairy allergy, so I couldnt try many of the items on the menu. That said, my other 3 dining companions didn't have this restriction, so I think my review is balanced.

We had heard this was 'THE PLACE' to dine in Maryland. Friends had been there for lunch and were anxous to try it for dinner. We knew in advance about the prices, and the restaurant knew in advance about my food allergy.

We went on a Saturday night. The restaurant is located in the heart of Frederick, and on the night we wen't the town was buzzing with activity. Frederick is a town that has reinvented itself as a bedroom community to both Baltimore and Washington DC. It sit;s squarely in a triangle from the cities supported by I-70 and I-270. Patrick street and Market streets are lined with a wide variety of restaurants and small shops. We snagged a parking spot 3 doors down from the restaurant and after browsing through an olive oil store (worth a trip back to buy some fo the products we sampled) we joined our friends at Volt.

You've heard the service is second to none. If you go, you;ll find this is true. 4 Hosteses are at the podium waiting to take guests to their table. Our friends had drinks at the bar and out of no where someone arrived with a tray to carry the drinks to our table. We were seated and our server approached with menu's. She asked if we had ever been, and went on to explain that the menu lists 4 courses. We can order any or all, order multiple dishes from one course instead of or in addition to the other courses, and told us the only thing they ask is that we order all of our food in the beginning, so the kitchen can time the delivery of the food. Fair enough. She also told us about a special, said we can order it as a course or just order it and split it for the table. The dish involved truffles, so it was $45.

I reminded her about my food allergy, and that we had told them in advance and she said to decide what I wanted and she would guide me through the menu. While the 4 of us reviewed the menu a server came and removed my bread plate and knife. Another server brough 2 little containers of breadsticks to our table along with butter. Our main server came back with a bread basket and described the 6 different choices - some as simple as cornbread, some as involved as having bacon or ham - and told me unfortunetly, none were dairy free. And also I couldnt eat the breadsticks.

Just as an aside, a dairy allergy isn't that unusual, and given that they had a month advance notice don't you think they could have had at least ONE bread choice that did not include milk or cheese? Apparently not.

Oh well, on to my menu selection. The only first course I could really eat was a 'dis-assembled salad". It was ok. Not worth the $14, but ok. I'm not complaining about the small size, because with 4 courses to eat no one could eat full servings of everything. But the items were not your usual salad foods, though I tried each of the single servings of all 5 items. I was less than impressed, as my dining companions were with their first course. The tomato and frozen gaspacheo (sp) salad didn't impress, nor did the duck liver pate.

Oh well, on to the second course. I had read about the pork belly, and how the diners so raved about this dish. Before I tell you about mine, let me say the diner at the table next to me seemed to have beter luck. His looked the same as mine, but was very meaty between the pork fat. Mine was virtually a slab of fried fat with just a bit of meat inside. MIGHT have been the worst dish I ever tried, but maybe I just had bad luck? Though the diner next to me seemed to have a good bit of meat in his, he left half of it on his plate.

For the 3rd and main course 3 of us had lobster. It would have been 4, but our server told me it was poached in butter, so I went for the only beef item on the menu. This course was my favorite. The beef, though not tender, was cooked to my liking and had excellent flavor, as did the hints of vegitables served with it. Only one of my dining companions finished the lobster. They all talked about how tender the one piece of claw meat was, but seemed to have trouble slicing through the tail meat. Later one told me it was tough and stringy. Now its true we don't live near maine, but I've had tender lobster tails in my home state before, and at these prices one would have thought a kitchen of this level could pull off something other than 'tough and stringy' lobster tails, but not this night.

For the dessert course my only option was part of one dish. I ordered the sorbet from a more complex dessert. They served me lime sorbet and mixed berry sorbet. The mixed berry was excellent. The lime was so tart it had to be mixed with the berry.

And............they charged me full price for the dessert even though I only had the sorbet part.

So, the bill for 4 of us with tax and tip came to over $400. That was about what I expected..........though I expected a better dining experience for that kind of money.

The service was excellent. The ambiance was excellent. The food...........not as good as I hoped. At these prices, you should have a better dining experience

1  Thank Statmans
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I have been to Volt twice now and loved it each time. The food and service are second to none. Take your time and enjoy the setting, and the food. The only down side is it can be difficult to get a reservation without a fair amount of advance planning.

Reviewed July 27, 2011

My husband and I received a call that there was a cancellation at Table 21 for the night of our reservation. Being fans of Brian, we jumped on the chance! We drove 40 minutes from DC to Volt. There is a small parking lot behind the restaurant, but there also was alot of street parking. There were 7 people at table 21 that night. We were seated right next to the kitchen, which we thought were the best seats! Being pregnant, the main waiter came over and made sure that my dietary restrictions were met. Overall the meal was amazing! We started at 7PM and did not end until 10:30. Brian was in the kitchen cooking, and at the end of the night, he posed for a picture and signed the menu that was provided with the 21 courses. We even were given a box of the truffles to take home. The food was amazing and the experience was worth every penny! We would do it again in a heart beat! Two BIG thumbs up for the Volt wait staff, chefs, and overall atmosphere!

1  Thank regggit

Been to Volt? Share your experiences!