“Totally charming” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hill House Bed and Breakfast

Hill House Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Frederick
Hill House Bed and Breakfast
You added Hill House Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Ranked #5 of 6 Frederick B&B and Inns
“Totally charming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

A friend and I were looking for a unique experience and thought we would try a B&B instead of a sterile hotel. Damien was a delightful hostess who made several suggestions about things to do and see that were all within walking distance. The rooms were quaint and lovely. The room with two twin beds had a huge bathroom. This is definitely a place for adults who believe staying in a hundred year old house is a treat.

Room Tip: The room with twin beds had the largest bathroom that opened up to a shared balcony.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ruth B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Oakton, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

The good things about this place were that is clean and close to downtown Frederick. Other than that it was not good. The hostess, Damian, really needs to improve her people skills. She was not very welcoming but the her worst behavior came at breakfast. She sat at the head of the table staring at her guests and barking orders about where we should place things on the table and even how to enter the room. She kept insisting that everyone place their coffee mugs on a coaster and would badger you until you moved your cup. Like other reviewers I felt the family photos in the bedroom (and bathroom!) to be an odd touch. I also felt there was an uncomfortable lack of security to the house and our room was extremely hot and uncomfortable in the morning. Even given the lack of choices in Frederick, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
16 Thank Kelly52013

Travelers are raving about these Frederick hotels

Baltimore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

I don't write reviews but I had to do this one. This b&b has a great location to Old Yown Frederick, but that's it. The room was so small I had to move the bed to close the door. The heat was so loud we couldn't sleep, and that was the best part. It's like staying in your grandmothers house, if she didn't like you. The owner makes the rules, tells you what to do, tells you what time breakfast is, tells you to use coasters, locks the doors to the parlor, tells you she wants cash etc etc. Just go to another B&b and take a cab to downtown.

• Stayed November 2013
7 Thank Hdkimber
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had the pleasure of spending the weekend at this excellent B&B. the owners provide excellent service, tasty breakfast, and cozy rooms.
A fabulous place to stay in the trendy town of Frederick........near Washington, D.C. and Baltimore.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Flash016
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I'd like to just cut-and-paste the review by HappyDCCouple "Meh. At least it's close to Volt." Their review is spot-on and my partner and I had the exact same comments, concerns and experiences from interactions with Damian, who seemed inconvenienced by our presence, her husband whom was very pleasant, to the framed family photos in our room. My partner made it to breakfast and was underwhelmed. As in all the other reviews, french toast was served and was "eh." I did not because, as informed by Damian, "breakfast is at 8:30." Period. and that was too early for me. I've stayed at several B&B's in the past and in my experience the breakfast service had a time-frame; "breakfast is served between 8:00 AM and 10:00 AM", or something like that. No flexibility at Hill House and certainly no welcoming feeling. We weren't thanked for being there and won't be going back. Should we visit Volt again, or any other great place in Frederick, we'll certainly stay somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank WDCReviewer
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed at Hill House earlier this year as we had reservations at Volt and didn't want to drive back to Washington, D.C. (where we live) afterward. Very quaint-looking and well-kept from the outside, but that's about where it ended for us.

The innkeeper, Damian, coldly greeted us once we got there. It was almost uncomfortable, actually. If I remember correctly, one of the first things she said to us was, "This is my home and I don't want you walking around down here with your shoes on." Uhm, okay?

The inn is overcrowded with knick-knacks...some of them extremely bizarre too. Accommodations were fine (we stayed in the Victorian), but nothing spectacular, and the room and bathroom were clean...though oddly decorated. One thing we found a bit strange was that there were framed photos of random people (perhaps the innkeeper's family?) in our room.

The best part of this B&B is that it is in crawling distance of Volt; however, I'm sure there are other B&Bs with better front-of-the-house service. Surprisingly, Damian's husband was quite personable and should probably be the one interacting with guests.

Breakfast was fine, but awkward as the only other guests staying there were Damian's friends. We were completely ignored. The French toast was good, but not incredible. I think the orange juice may have been Tang or something similar. Forgettable breakfast compared to other's we've had at different B&Bs.

We left there feeling "meh". Even though we can get past the odd decorating and zillion knick-knacks everywhere, Damian's sour demeanor will keep us from returning or recommending to friends.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
12 Thank HappyDCCouple
Wheaton, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We were touring the Antietam Battlefield for 2 days . Staying in Frederick was a good location. We really enjoyed our stay at Hill House. It is the most attractive B&B we've ever stayed. We had the Victorian Room with its huge bath. Damain is a pleasant hostess and her French Toast is delicious. The location was very convenient for restaurants, bars and stores.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends