WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Maybe ok for one night” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hill House Bed and Breakfast

Hill House Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Frederick
Hill House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 6 Frederick B&B and Inns
“Maybe ok for one night”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

We stayed here due to proximity to Volt. The Mexican room was nice to find since two beds are rare for a B&B, and the bathroom is large. Strangely, though, the room was set up for only one occupant, with one robe (which we wouldn't have worn, but still) and one small packet of soap in the shower. And the hand soap dispenser at the sink was empty. We searched & searched for soap, and found lots of other supplies, but no soap -- a strange thing to scrimp on. **All that said, there was a disturbing safety issue which another reviewer mentioned but I didn't fully take in beforehand: That the room door cannot be locked when you leave (other guests said this was the same for their doors). That means all four rooms are open to anyone who gets past the door to the street (which does lock). We checked in not long before going to dinner and hid some items deeper in the luggage, etc., and contemplated returning them to the car), but I would not want to leave my things there while exploring Frederick for the day. Breakfast was satisfactory, not incredible. Proprietor is not necessarily warm but did provide local info; however, she never mentioned the room lock issue or asked how our stay was...we had the sense that she didn't necessarily care to hear. So, very convenient, but I will choose another property for future stays.

• Stayed January 2012
8 Thank 0632

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Cumming, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

Hill House is in the heart of the restored/historic area of Frederick, Maryland. There are only four rooms and none are handicap accessible. Breakfast is very good, but the Innkeeper for some reason feels obligated to sit at the table, rather unusual. The interior could be cleaner, but it is tastefully appointed. The main reason for staying at this location, other than it's the only B&B in town, is that it's within walking of Volt Restaurant. Viewers of Top Chef know that Executive Chef Bryan Voltaggio's restaurant is well worth the trip. Just make certain that you plan ahead as the B&B is frequently full and reservations at Volt are not easy to get.

Room Tip: The Victorian Room has the best view, but the Chesapeake Room has a nice porch if the weather is coo...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ColumbiaSue
Baltimore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2012

We stayed at this wonderful bed n breakfast in early December 2011. Great location for downtown Frederick fun! Ms. Damian is a reserved person, but very helpful. Beautiful bed n breakfast. We will return again!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

We booked a room at this place because we were going to dinner at Volt. The B&B is so gross and dirty. There was no one to help with our luggage and we had to walk up 3 flights of stairs. The carpet and bedding is so old and tacky. We each only got one pillow to sleep on. Also, the weirdest thing ever is that there is an old stained wedding dress in the closet in our bedroom. There are framed pictures in the bedroom and bathroom of random people that appear to have been taken recently at a family event of some sort (perhaps a holiday party or Thanksgiving). The towels are so worn down. You can hear every noise someone makes. I could hear the person's cell phone ringing in the next room. I've stayed at a number of great B&Bs, but this place is a dump. There is no way to lock the door to your room and the whole time at dinner I kept thinking about whether it was stolen.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank janie060763

Travelers are raving about these Frederick hotels

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

I had a lovely one night stay at the Hill House. I found the proprietors very accommodating - I had a long drive to the inn, and they greeted me warmly when I arrived. I stayed in the Mexican room, which was comfortable and beautifully appointed. I wandered around the corner for dinner - great choices abound. I went to Volt but next time I would want to try The Tasting Room. The next morning, Damian served breakfast early to accommodate my schedule - and off I went to Baltimore. Wish I had more time to enjoy, but I found this experience a delight!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank food-sun-shop
Frederick, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2011

Ms. Damian failed to notify my relative who had reserved rooms for her wedding that she was going to release them. She did not give the bride any kind of deadline for when the rooms had to be booked and copped a huge attitude when confronted about the situation. Had the bride been given a deadline for when the remainder of the rooms had to be reserved (as most places do), she would most certainly have adhered to the deadline. Instead Ms. Damian just freed them up without her knowledge to the contrary. My other relatives have stayed here in the past and have said that Ms. Damian was rude and snarky to them. Needless to say, we won't be staying there again. The place is great and its proximity to downtown is wonderful, but we did not feel there was any hospitality nor customer service on Ms. Damian's behalf. That is rather important when staying at a B&B, don't you think?

• Stayed April 2011
3 Thank KAA38
TN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2011

My sister and I stayed here March 2010 and will be going back May 2011. We picked this B&B for walking distance to Volt and town, both are great. Okay, so maybe you won't get a hug upon your arrival. But I assure you, Ms. Damian can be very friendly and helpful. I say this even though she chided me in front of everyone for setting my coffee cup on her dining room table, as opposed to the coaster which was right next to me. I was laughing on the inside (only) as that's what my mother would do. No harm, I'm a big girl. We stayed in Mexican Room w/ 2 twin beds. The bathroom is huge and walks out to a fabulous balcony. Having a pre and post dinner drink on balcony was perfect. Just to know--the bathroom door swings into the bedroom, in case you're noise shy. We just had a "go to the balcony" rule. Go, you'll be glad.

Stayed March 2010