“Below Average food, terrible menu choices, sub par overall”

Romano's Macaroni Grill
Ranked #188 of 397 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
maryland
“Below Average food, terrible menu choices, sub par overall”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

This is not my first time at this place and it USED to be excellent before the menu change that the chain saw over the past year. I figured I would give it one last try. How disappointing. First, if you loved the old menu, forget it...nothing remains. It's now far overpriced and underportioned tappas and tiny thin-crust pizzas with an asinine price. Service is slow as well...taking forever to bring out the bread..which also seems to have changed, and not for the better. I ordered the Carmela's Chicken. It arrived moderately warm, while the others I was with had piping hot dishes. The pasta was dry and undercooked and whatever sauce there should have been was so overcooked there was no sauce left since it had been soaked up by the dry pasta. The portion of chicken within the dish was scant, as were the supposed mushrooms and onions that were downright hard to find.

There is no excuse for this. Pasta is one of the least cost ingredients, and chicken breast wholesale is not expensive enough to short the serving size that much. So...overall, this place is a stinker and not worth ever returning. Too bad...they took what wasn't broken and broke it completely. Oh...and do note that if you show up with a group, there will be a tip included without anyone telling you up front that it'll be there.

2 Thank jfwilder

Maryland
“Bad service and food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

My daughter & I had previously had lunch here in October, we were quite pleased with the new menu. We thought we would try it again which was a huge mistake especially since our first choice of dining was TGIF.

After being seated we sat for 10 minutes without being acknowledged from any waiter. The restaurant had 2 lunch work parties going on approx 25 people between the 2 parties at 12:30pm, but only a couple of other tables with customers. Where the parties did take some time which we understood, just acknowledge your new tables at least get their drink order.

I walked up to the hostess and asked her if anyone was going to wait on us, she told us the name of who will be serving us....10 more minutes went by as my daughter and I got up to leave the hostess brought the "new guy" to wait on us. He apologized saying it was his 2nd day and so forth. He completely messed up my order, giving me a salad I didn't order it was soggy and warm...just horrible. We decided just to take the sandwiches home since we weren't feeling the place.

Then when our bill arrived we were overcharged for one drink, not a big deal which we said ok give us another drink instead of fixing the bill. I blame the management for putting this guy on the floor without him being properly trained. My daughter was going to buy the giftcards for Christmas but told her not to bother...we won't be back.

1 Thank CaribbeanJacki
West Virginia
“Slow Service, Cold Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

We came on a Saturday evening around 6pm. We got seated quickly and our order was taken. We never did get served any bread but it was brought after we asked. Our salads were cold but not crisp. They tasted as if they were pre made, the dressing put on them and then they were stored in the fridge. Our bread (after we finally got it) was hot, fresh and tasty.

We finished with our drinks, salads and bread then proceeded to wait, and wait and wait. Our server finally passed by and we asked her about our order, she agreed it was taking way to long and checked for us. She came back and said our order was cooking now and that the manager would bring it to us. After another few minutes our orders came. My wife ordered lasagna and I had fillet with lobster mash potatoes (some kind of new dish). As we suspected, our order had just sat and now it was COLD.

The manager took it back and after more waiting we got our food once again. My wife's lasagna was excellent and this time was very hot. My steak was luke warm and tasted o.k. The mash potatoes were god awful and still cold.

For our troubles we were offered a free desert....yay. We don't want free food we just want HOT FOOD. At this restaurant that seems to be too much to ask.

The Macaroni Grill located in Gaithersburg MD is a totally different experience and we've never had a problem there. It's like eating at two totally different restaurants even though they are the same chain.

It seems every time we go to this particular Macaroni Grill there is some kind of problem, always.

1 Thank trav115
Walkersville, Maryland
“Standard”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

Nothing spectacular about it, as it is a chain restaurant but its a nice local place with decent prices and fairly good service.

Visited October 2012
Westminster, Md
“Fine family dining”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

Took the adult kids and grandkids here; super service, great food. Menu has changed and we're looking forward to returning.