“Enjoy the view”

Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Church St
Description: Firestone's Culinary Tavern, opened in 1999, is located in downtown Frederick's picturesque Historic District. It is housed in a 1921 building that was initially the home of Shipley's Department Store. The restaurant combines outstanding cuisine with the casual atmosphere of a neighborhood tavern. The Washington Post says, "the atmosphere is prime...the food is, too!".
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I really love the atmosphere of Firestone's. You have the lively bar scene and the upstairs seating with the street view. We were lucky and had a table by the windows. It is always enjoyable watching the street scene in historic Frederick. The wine selection is extensive. We opted for a nice bottle of Malbec because we knew we would be ordering steak. Chicken orzo soup sounded interesting, and it was. There were large chunks of chicken, red peppers, basil and a light broth. It was tasty and light. My husband ordered the cowboy ribeye, as he always does here, and loved it. Since they no longer offer a filet mignon, which I find disappointing, I ordered the grilled flank steak salad. The presentation is unique. The steak is circling a rounded mound of arugula with goat cheese and a nice vinaigrette. It was quite enjoyable but the portion a bit too large. Our server was professional and pleasant, which has been our experience on previous visits. We look forward to our next dining experience here.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

We came in on a lovely spring Saturday - not crowded at all. The atmosphere is great - unique building and seating in the balcony on the second floor. The high ceilings do create some issues with noise, but it was not horrendous. Service was great. Two of us had burgers - some of the best ever. The chicken breast sandwich was good, too. Nice spot to eat while browsing Frederick.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Firestone's happens to be one of my favorite restaurants, so it really pains me to give it a bad review; however, my last visit left something to be desired. For those who have not visited yet, I would describe the ambiance, as well as the food, as upscale tavern. Being that I like it so much my friend and I decided to have lunch there a few days ago. After we arrived, we waited about 10 minutes to get seated. Once we were seated, our order was taken in a reasonable amount of time and our beverages arrived in a speedy fashion. After chatting for a while, I did notice that food appeared to be leaving the kitchen very slowly, which did not bode well for our grumbling stomachs. Alas, it was not until 50 knuckle gnawing minutes later that our lunch arrived. But not one to hold a grudge I was ready to forgive all, until we started eating. I had ordered the fish and chips, the chips were overly salty, the batter of the fish not enough so, and the fish was very greasy. Yes, I understand fish and chips are not exactly diet food and a certain amount of grease is to be expected. My friend had ordered the grilled cheese sandwich along with the cucumber salad. She loved the cucumber salad, the grilled cheese less so. The addition of overripe tomatoes to the grilled cheese sandwich, turned the normal sensual experience of slightly buttery toasted warm bread and yummy gooey melted cheese into a soggy and not so appealing experience. We eschewed desert, paid the bill and went onto our merry little way, satiated but not satisfied. It might appear that my gripes are small, and frankly any one thing on its own would not have been a big deal, but a kitchen taking 50 minutes to produce a mediocre meal does not make me want to come back. I will probably give it another try, in the hopes that the kitchen staff had an off day, but should the experience repeat itself, I will not.

1  Thank smwheat
Reviewed April 24, 2014

We enjoyed the lunch menu. It was limited but the corned beef was excellent. Onion rings are homemade and great as well.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

On a recent long-weekend trip to Frederick, we had Saturday brunch at Firestone's. It was cozy and relaxing as we sat at the window on the second floor overlooking the street below. Food was really good. The Bloody Marys were amazing. And the service was excellent. Would definitely go back.