“Who Knew?”

Firestone's Culinary Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Firestone's Culinary Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 397 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: American, Bar, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Church St
Description: Firestone's Culinary Tavern, opened in 1999, is located in downtown Frederick's picturesque Historic District. It is housed in a 1921 building that was initially the home of Shipley's Department Store. The restaurant combines outstanding cuisine with the casual atmosphere of a neighborhood tavern. The Washington Post says, "the atmosphere is prime...the food is, too!".
Frederick, MD
“Who Knew?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2012

I grew up in Frederick and remember Firestones when it was Donnelly's. My impression is that it was just a bar with pub type food. Over the last 10 years, Firestones has been the spot where my friends and I end up for drinks after a night downtown. I hadn't consumed a bite of food there until over a year ago. On a whim, my husband and I went there for dinner and had a fantastic meal! Over the last year we have dined there several times alone, with our kids, and with other family members. We haven't had a single dish we didn't like! It's great for brunch, lunch and dinner. Although they don't cater to kids, there is a spoken children's menu that's very pleasing to my 6 and 9 year olds. My boys say they have the best grilled cheese in Frederick! Service is always wonderful and the view from the window tables on the second floor is great. We normally make our reservations through opentable.com so we can accumulate reward points. Don't miss their charcuterie appetizer with a wide variety of meats they cure in house. The tuna tartar is delicious. The creme brulee is very good and an incredibly large serving as are all the desserts.

• Visited January 2012
2 Thank HappileeMarreed

Frederick, Maryland
“Fantastic food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

Great place to go for unbelievable food or to go for drinks. Best restaurant in Frederick!

Frederick, Maryland
“Great Date Night Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

Firestone's is nice and the food is delicious. My only issue with this place is that it can get quite noisy because the noise from the bar echos in the upper dining room. It is pricey, so be prepared to pay a good amount for good food. I wouldn't suggest sitting next to the window to look out onto the street during the colder months because the windows are quite drafty.

Maryland
“Dinner alternative in downtown Frederick”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2011

My husband and I had dinner (on a weekday evening) at Firestone's in Frederick. It is right in the middle of everything, near the corner of Market & Church St. There is a parking garage nearby. We booked through opentable.com. There is a lively bar downstairs at Firestone's and the formal seating area is tables on a balcony upstairs. We were able to get a table by the window overlooking the street, which was very picturesque with holiday lights. For appetizers, I ordered the clam chowder and my husband had the onion soup. The clam chowder was quite possibly the best clam chowder I have ever had: it had whole littleneck clams (shells and all), and the seasonings were wonderful. I was a bit disappointed that one of the entrees my husband would like that I had seen on the internet menu (swordfish) was not on the actual menu. However, he ordered pork tenderloin and I ordered the diver scallops. The entrees were fine and the service was attentive. We did wait between courses, especially quite a while before the soup course arrived. Some of the nicer things about this restaurant were in the smaller touches: the amuse bouche was a homemade lentil soup,and there was a little spoon of sorbet to cleanse the palate before the main course. The cheese bread was really yummy. We each ordered a glass of wine. The noise level up on the balcony was higher than I had expected, so it was not exactly a quiet romantic experience. I think the sound must be carried upwards from the busy bar below. But overall, we had a nice dinner and I would return on another occasion.

• Visited December 2011
New Cumberland, PA
“Great Jazz Brunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2011

We stumbled across the Sunday Jazz Brunch about a year ago and have finally made the drive back from Harrisburg. The music is great and the atmosphere is fun. Enough activity to feel like you are part of something special but not too much noise. The food is fantastic. Lamb and eggs seemed to be the favorite at our table but everything was wonderful. I enjoyed the Irish Coffee for dessert but the apple cobbler and pumpkin ice cream was amazing as well. Great service. If you are a group of more than 2 you should make reservations. Take time to walk around town, Frederick is a gem that most people just drive by on their way to DC.

• Visited December 2011