“A bad showing for the " Maryland crab cake"”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of May's

May's
Ranked #77 of 397 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A bad showing for the " Maryland crab cake"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

When I think of Maryland I think crab cakes so I got the chance to try some and to be honest... It was the sorriest excuse for a crab cake I have ever encountered. The should be ashamed to serve food that bad. And the service.... Forget about it... Im from Ohio now my veiw of Maryland is your crab cakes suck , and so do u go Bucks marylands crab cakes sucks!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank bucksovermaryland

“Really bad service and attitude”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

So this Saturday, my children and I decided to go to May's as a treat. It is an abnormally expensive restaurant for Frederick and we visit about 3 to 4 times a year only for special occasions. We reached there around 6:00pm and were told that the wait was going to be about 45 minutes. We were just deciding if we wanted to wait when a lady who was obviously in charge there made a very snide remark- she said 'anywhere you go - good luck, the wait is going to be long on a Saturday evening, what were you thinking'. I thanked her politely and left. I am really disappointed that a place of service had such an attitude about potential clients.

2 Thank TravelLover786
London
“A sad betrayal of the noble oyster”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

The drive up into central Pennsylvania from Dulles took me past various oyster houses. Mmmm, oysters!, I thought, and when planning my trip back I built two hours in for an oyster lunch. May's popped up on a quick Google… and oh, how I wish it hadn't.

I visit a restaurant to eat things that are too tedious a kerfuffle to make at home. The oyster po'boy with remoulade: Good. And I really can't be bothered to egg-dip, cornmeal-dredge, and deep-fry an oyster. So full marks here. Service, ditto; full marks. But the oysters on the half-shell…

They don't shuck the oysters fresh. THEY DON'T SHUCK THEM FRESH. Plopped down before you is a tray of ice with six sad grey matte wrinkled little things -- no sweet-salty oyster liquor to drink from the lip of the shell -- rubbery and flavourless forkfuls -- horrible. Opened the evening before and left to desiccate, poor beasts. Died to no purpose, such a shame.

And no slice of lemon, no oyster crackers, no horseradish...

After unpacking, I went down to the high street and straight to our fishmonger's. A dozen Galway Bay rock oysters for £8.50, each of them three times the size of the wizened Chesapeake raisins, and only five minutes with the oyster knife to have their shiny faces glistening up at me. Millions of times better than the travesty perpetrated at May's. And so easy, easy, easy.

If you want a fried oyster… well, go on, then. Visit May's. But I pity those who've eaten oysters only at May's raw bar. They're being denied one of the tastiest treats in the universe.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Koermendi
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Great place for a relaxed get-together”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

My college friends and I went out to enjoy some Maryland crabs. The menu was easy to understand, we were all able to sample the famous crabs. The staff was also accommodating to the 3 babies in our party. This is a very popular restaurant. The place was packed even on a week night. The all-you-can eat platter is a good deal. We had the crab platter, but you add either all you can eat shrimp, clams, or scallops.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Manny-Kaye G
Alexandria
“Good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

It's very pricey I think but the food was delicious and the crab cooked perfectly. The crab soup was MEATY. Server Romeo was great. Came with best friend but hostess thought we were a couple I think so she sat us in the cutest romantic little area in the restaurant. I ate 8 clusters of crab after a 8 mike hike. My big complaint is there's only one male and one female stall for a pretty large restaurant. I know to each there own, we all have different experiences but I say give this place a try but bring your wallet.

Prices and options included in the pics attached to this review.

• Visited August 2013

Been to May's? Share your experiences!