“This was my treat...didn't let me down” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
El Jardin del Convento
Ranked #1 of 5 Hervas B&B and Inns
Nelson, Canada
“This was my treat...didn't let me down”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

On a whistle-stop budget tour of Extremadura, I chose to spend one night, of my four, here. This is not a budget hotel, but a unique and stylish historical gem with lots of homely touches and obvious attention to detail. Sadly, like all of the places I stayed at in EX, I only saw it at night...

My room was very cosy, with some gloriously old wooden flooring which Europeans might take for granted, but us Canadians realize out-date our entire nation. Good Internet signal so I could work; very, very quiet both inside and out. Lots of hot water and ready heat through the radiators.

My hosts were very accommodating, although I left too early to see them for breakfast. I would have like to thank them in person for a very good stay; wish I could have seen the place in the sunshine, but I wanted to see the sunrise over the Gredos Mountains.

Room Tip: Every room is different - so tips won't help you - you must choose the room that suits your budg...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Algarvia, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

We had stayed in Hervas on our way north to catch the ferry from Santander and loved this atmospheric little town. Rather than return to the Hospederia (separate review) we decided to try the Jardin del Convento, a few doors down, and we are delighted that we did. We were met by Amos who has good English and was incredibly helpful and enthusiastic to show off his old family home, full of dark wooden beams and with a wonderful old staircase winding up through the middle. We had room 4 which was huge and looked out onto the balcony overlooking the garden and on to views of the mountains.The room was very comfortably furnished and the bathroom was spacious and well equipped. More like a home than a hotel.

Amos recommended a couple of restaurants and we chose El Almirez which was a short walk away and had an excellent dinner. Breakfast in the hotel was also wonderful with organic fruit from the garden, home made pastries and compotes, freshly squeezed orange juice, iberico ham and so on!

We were really impressed and will certainly return!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Jerez De La Frontera, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed here 1 night on the way down from Santander, and the Picos Europa but how I
wished we could have stayed longer.
The owners are very helpful nice people, Amos the son speaks good english and
nothing is too much trouble.
Breakfast was wonderful, nice selection of cereals, meat,
cheese and wonderful fruits from the garden. Lovely linen and white napkins on the table.
Bed linen, towels and bathroom toiletries nice quality.
We stayed in room 7 on the ground floor but the rooms overlooking the garden looked
beautiful.
We are looking forward to staying here again next year.
We have travelled and stayed in many hotels in USA and around the world but for me, this was one of my favourite places Ive stayed in.

Room Tip: Room 7 has open fire, queen bed and sofa bed and beautiful remodelled shower room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on our way back from Conil to the north of Spain and decided to stay here because of the other comments made on trip advisor. Maybe we were unlucky but our room (number 6) was cold and even when the heating came on at 6pm it didn't warm up enough during the night. By the morning the heating was off and we had no hot water for a shower, as I say maybe there was a problem on this occassion.
On a positive note I would agree with every one that the sun deck at the back is wonderful, the breakfast excellent and the town itself definitely worth visiting if you haven't been to it yet, so much to see and do and the people so friendly and welcoming.
Unfortunately the owner tried to charge us for two nights accommodation instead of the one and it was only by showing him the rate on the website that he realised his mistake and credited us one night back (his explaination was that most people stay for two nights, which we thought was a little strange) but I am sure it was a genuine error,
To finish I would say that the location is excellent, right in the heart of the town so not far to go after all the tapas and drinks!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wendyjane2
eljardindelconvento, Propietario at El Jardin del Convento, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Mr Willmott:

I've seen the comments you made in TripAdvisor about your stay in our House on 9 March and I would like to express first of all my apologies for the setbacks suffered and thank you for the positive items from your comment.

I would like to give an explanation about negative facts you expose:

· What I most worried is that you might think that I wanted to charge one more night stay. It would not make much sense to have been intentional as I informed you about the room rate when you made the reservation by e-mail the day before and obviously you would not pay twice. It was a pity my forgetfulness, and so I reiterate my apologies. I am sure that the matter would had been settled immediately if I had understood what you and your wife tried to tell me about the account that I presented to you. But unfortunately my knowledge of English is very limited and I could not see my mistake until you showed it to me on your tablet: the price list on our web. Until then, I was convinced that the account was for two nights. Certainly I must consider seriously to improve my knowledge of your language. I understand that you express your strangeness by my explanation; actually I should have said it was simply what was, a dismissal, but I didn't know how to say it in English and I told what I was able to say.

· On the issue with the heating and hot water, it is very possible that they lead me to deception high outside temperatures during the afternoon (had around 20 ° C) and connected the system of heating later than is necessary. On the other hand, the room you chose is the coldest of the House becouse of its northern orientation and ,in addition, it took 5 days without connecting the radiators for have been unoccupied. Of course, this circumstance does not relieve me of responsibility to avoid this kind of decisions whose consequences you had the misfortune to suffer.

In any case, I must be grateful for your comments, which will serve me to try to avoid that happen the same in similar circumstances again.

I hope my explanation will be suitable for you and your wife accept my apologies.
Kind regards

Carlos Fernández Neila
Luxembourg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2011

Stepping through the front door takes you back 200 years to a beautifully restored and appointed house with an interior made from brick with timber framing. The rooms are large and well appointed, but what really sets the building apart is the rear deck with comfortable arm chairs and views across the garden to the hills as does the breakfast room/lounge on the floor below. The garden itself is a great work of love and is well worth visiting.

Carlos and Julia are very attentive hosts and lay on a splendid copious breakfast, provide excellent information on the town, detailed maps of local walks and useful restaurant information. Thanks to them we had 2 very enjoyable meals at the Nardi close by in the town.

Along with the Jewish old town, local countryside pursuits, good restaurants Hervas also has a very interesting motorcycle and car museum making the town well worth a couple of day stay.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Sheffield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2009

We stayed for one night on our way from Santander to the Costa del Sol and were extremely happy with our choice of hotel. It was very cold when we arrived, but the hotel had central heating and our very large room was so warm. The son of the proprietor, Amos, greeted us and spoke very good English and could not have been more helpful. Our room had a view of the convent garden, which I would think would be absolutely stunning in summer. The decor and furnishings were top class and tasteful. Breakfast was served in a small lounge/dining room. For a small hotel, the buffet breakfast was second to none and had lots of home-made jams, marmalades etc, made with produce from the garden. Amos gave us information about restaurants in the area for our meal in the evening and we chose No.60, which was close by and had barbequed Iberian pork, which was extremely tasty. The only unfortunate thing about our visit to Huervas was that we couldn't stay very long, as we had to continue our journey, but we did manage to have a wander round the old Jewish quarter of the old town. All in all a wonderful experience and we can't wait to get back for a longer stay.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hervas
Hospederia Valle del Jerte
Parador de Jarandilla de la Vera
Parador de Jarandilla de la Vera
#1 of 1 in Jarandilla de la Vera
Hospederia Valle del Ambroz

Been to El Jardin del Convento? Share your experiences!