“Very friendly hotel with nice rooms”

Sleep Inn Barstow on Historic Route 66
Ranked #17 of 29 Hotels in Barstow
Boston, Massachusetts
“Very friendly hotel with nice rooms”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

The hotel personnel is very friendly and helpful in general. The rooms are very clean and spacious enough to feel comfortable. The hot breakfast was good and well prepared. The fitness center is small, but okay for a quick workout after a long drive. The only drawback is a train switch station right behind the hotel that creates some noise which did not stop me from having a good night sleep. I would definitely stay there again when I am in the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Jack M, Front Office Manager at Sleep Inn Barstow on Historic Route 66, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Joerg S

I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Our staff works really hard to make sure your stay is great and that you get the great service of the Holiday Inn Express. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and for your kind words. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Chemainus, Canada
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Stayed here end of Nov 2012. Found it was the most expensive of the 3 Holiday Inn Expresses we stayed at on our trip to Arizona. It has shaken my confidence in relying on the Express name.
The room was extremely small with only one chair and that was a desk chair. The shower took up a great deal of the room and the sink was part of the room. The corridor smells of stale cigarette smoke and that may because they allow smoking in the rooms on the second floor. The breakfast room is tucked under the stairs and not particularly comfortable. I didn't find the room as clean as I like. The warning about the train shunting only comes after you have checked in and as ear plugs either won't stay in my ear canals or they cause pain the offer of ear plugs doesn't help.
I wrote to the corporation headquarters to suggest that this is not up to the caliber of the Express name and it should be demoted at least to a Holiday Inn. I received a form letter back saying that they had passed my email on to the hotel. Haven't heard a thing from them but that is probably because there is no resolution to my concerns.
Not so sure about booking into Holiday Inn Express Hotels as we travel anymore.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Jack M, Front Office Manager at Sleep Inn Barstow on Historic Route 66, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write us a review. I want to apologize since your stay wasn't up to the standards that you expect. Our rooms are smaller than some other Holiday Inns and I can understand why this bothered you. Also we do not allow any smoking on the second floor, however our first floor does have 6 smoking rooms. Each smoking room and the entire first floor hallway has air fresheners that are program to go off at routine intervals. If any smoke escaped to the second floor I am deeply sorry because that was not are intentions. I am also sorry if you didn't find our breakfast bar comfortable. The stairs that are nearby don't go over the breakfast bar, but they do wrap around the room so I can understand why it would seem that way. Once again I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.
Arizona
Reviewed January 31, 2013

After I checked in I was handed a paper that said the hotel was located adjacent to a train switching yard and that the hotel realized some guests were "more sewnsitive" than others to noise and that the desk could provide ear plugs. This is not what I expected for the price of the room.

The room was extremely small and not of the quality I usually receive at a Holiday Inn Express. The Staff was very helpful, but there is nothing they could do to make up for the poor location and size of the room.l I consider this to be very poor value for the money.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Jack M, Front Office Manager at Sleep Inn Barstow on Historic Route 66, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to give us a review. I am sorry that the train yard bothered you and that the size of the room wasn't up to your standards. We try very hard to keep the train noise out of our hotel. In each of our rooms we have triple paned windows and we do offer the ear plugs, like you noted. I am glad to hear that the staff was helpful. We look forward to improving our hotel and to continue to bring you the great service of the Holiday Inn.
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 29, 2013

This is not your usual 'Holiday Inn Express' experience.
We were driving back from a winter holiday in Utah and just could not finish the trip to San Diego. Generally, we like the predictability of the 'Express' brand for road trips...clean, smart, friendly and moderately priced.

It was dark, dingy, ugly tight rooms with marred furniture and questionable cleanliness. The reception desk refused to give us a AAA discount and charged $25 for our dog. (Even as priority members.)

We are always grateful for the pet welcome and friendly help - which we did receive. And there was a warning about the noise from the railroad switching station adjacent to the hotel. I am a heavy sleeper from a loud city - the loud squealing noise did not personally affect me.

As Priority Club members there is usually a perk...none here.

I'm sorry to score so low - but maybe they will take notice. Usually, we linger in hotels the next morning and it really is a powerful statement that we were on the road by 7am.

Note - there is another Holiday Inn Express a few miles south on Rt 15 that gets good reviews...go there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear TouringTales

I am sorry to hear that your stay didn't meet your standards. I don't understand why you weren't able to get the AAA rate either, since we always offer it. As for the pet fee we charge everybody 25 dollars for the pet since we have to do special cleaning to the room afterwards. We do this so people that have allergies are not bothered and so our rooms maintain their cleanness. I would like to apologize since your stay wasn't as good as we hoped it would be. We are always trying to find ways to improve our hotel and I thank you for taking the time to write us a review.
Vidal Junction, California, United States
Reviewed July 10, 2012

There is a railroad switching yard directly behind the hotel and the brakes sequel all night long from trains dropping boxcars off and picking boxcars up. The staff is very nice and so are the rooms. I stayed in room 214, which is on the ground floor/ street level.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 214. See pictures.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Jack M, Front Office Manager at Sleep Inn Barstow on Historic Route 66, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We really value our guest feedback and look forward to improving and maintaining our great services. I apologize for the train noise. We do try to inform our guest that the switching yard is near by, we also offer ear plugs at the front desk, and we even triple paned our windows. I am glad to hear that our staff was friendly and that the rooms were nice.
Sacramento, California
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Enjoyed our stay there. Staff were friendly and helpful. Beds very comfortable. Paid $3.00 for WiFi and didn't get to use it, as there were no directions and just didn't want hassel of calling down for directions. Not happy with going out into hall and having one of the staff out there spraying something (Fabreeze?) in the hall, cause of cig smoking in the rooms. :-( If they're going to have smoking rooms then they shouldn't be spraying other stuff around. I couldn't breath for nearly 1/2 hour after going back into the room!!! BTW, I'm not a smoker, but would rather have the smoke than whatever he was spraying!
Other wise stay was great.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Azreen
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. I am sorry to hear that the spray bothered you. We have a small number of smoking rooms and sometimes the smoke can leak out into the hallway so we have our employees spray the hall to maintain a fresh scent. As for the 3.00 WiFi charge I am a little confused because our WiFi is free and you only need the internet access code that we give you at the front desk. But, thank you for taking your time to leave us a review.
Chicago area
Reviewed March 25, 2012

A fine stop in a dated Inn. The staff was really really great, the highlight of the place. We were very afraid when we heard the non-stop train switching squealing behind the hotel, they offer earplugs if you need them! We slept fine, in our room it was not bad. Breakfast was fine, typical HIEx offerings. Room needs an overhaul, dated, and the sink was outside the toilet/shower area so you could not use the sink without disturbing the others in the room. Again, the staff was great.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far from the back
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn Barstow on Historic Route 66, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Dear TravelingLinda,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I certainly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced

I was sorry to hear some aspects did not meet your expectations when you stayed at our hotel. I am pleased that our staff was able to off set this displeasure with great service. I was glad to hear you were able to enjoy a good nights sleep!

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG.

Regards,