“rooms recently updated, service lacking” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Quality Inn On Historic Route 66

Quality Inn On Historic Route 66
Ranked #12 of 29 Hotels in Barstow
Saint Louis, Missouri
“rooms recently updated, service lacking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2007

Hotel is in the process of being updated. Room was very nice, included a fridge and microwave. Very clean. The bathroom drain plug was missing, which makes it very hard to bathe small children. Outside still looks a little run down.
Getting to our room was something of a nightmare. Check in took forever, as the woman at the front desk was on the phone. She finally waited on me and gave me the first floor room that I had requested, as I am a single mom as packing and unpacking with kids in tow is so much easier if stairs are not involved. As I was about to walk out of the lobby, she called me back and without explaining why, spent about ten minutes on the computer and then gave me a second floor room. I asked if there were any first floor rooms left and she apologized and said "no." Things happen. So, it was late and we were exhausted and we drug all of the suitcases up the stairs and around to our room which are all outdoor entries, and the key cards would not work. We finally went down to the lobby, standing in the doorway where I could still see my teenaged daughter who stayed with the luggage and we were given new key cards which did not work either. This time my daughter went to the lobby as I watched her across the courtyard and another 5-10 minutes passed before someone came up and worked on the door for another ten minutes with no luck. He let us in anyway and told us that he would fix the problem shortly. We ordered a late dinner from the restaurant off the lobby. It was ready quickly and the food was decent. Mainly a Mexican inspired menu.
About 11:00 pm we received a call stating that they could not fix the door. We elected to stay in the room anyway and simply packed up everything before we went down to breakfast so that we would not need to get back in, Breakfast menu was very limited, cooked to order in the restaurant off the lobby. Service was a little slow and we were in a big hurry to get on the road, so that was a little frustrating, but our waiter was friendly.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank UCityJuls

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
cedar city, ut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2007

Nice, clean hotel. Newer furnishings - room seemed to be newly remodeled. Room had a microwave and fridge in it. Hotel under going a complete remodel. Pool was really, really cold. No hot tub. Good hot breakfast in the hotels restaurant. Staff was really nice and helpful. Hotel not in a wonderful area. Lots of homeless people around.

• Liked — new, comfortable room
  • Disliked — the area the hotel is in
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Santa Barbara, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2006

The Quality Inn, Barstow, has done an exceptional job in renovating their rooms. Our two-bed, upstairs room looked brand new. It had a microwave, a refrigerator, a coffee maker, and an easy chair with ottoman. The beds were great, and the bedding included a smoothly fitted bottom sheet which covers the mattress, and which is not found often enough these days. We really liked the quiet, new heat/air conditioning unit which was controlled by a numbered thermostat (68 degrees, 72 degrees, etc.) rather than a higher or lower thermostat that is difficult to set. The bathroom was new, also, and it had a good shower head and the new curved shower curtain rod. We have found all of these appointments in other hotel rooms, but never all at once in the same room. In the morning we enjoyed a good complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast in their on-site restaurant. The outside of the property still looks old, but it is in the process of being redone according to a stylish, appealing plan. We will certainly return here!

• Liked — The amenities in the renovated room.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Klockars
Northern California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2006

This is an older motel and it is a little run down, but a good value for the price. I had a room with two double beds, one for me and one for my three-year-old. I had also brought along a pack-n-play that I set up for my ten-month-old. I was able to kind of tuck that in the corner so that it wasn't in the way too much.

One thing that I thought was great was that they offer a free full breakfast in their on-site restaurant for each person staying in the room included in the price of the room. The breakfast was good, too. There's a limited selection of entrees, but it was decent and they have a separate selection for children, though I didn't notice much of a difference in portion sizes. They also have a AAA discount for the rooms.

The guy checking me in was helpful and gave me a room on the ground floor overlooking their lawn area since I had kids with me. The building surrounds a large lawn, which is great if you have kids that need to run around after spending a day in the car. Let's face it, Barstow is a place you stop on the way to someplace else. The window and door of our room looked out on the lawn area, so it would be easy to let the kids run around while keeping an eye on them from inside the room if you wanted to do that. They also had a pool that looked nice.

The bathroom was kind of small, and the AC was loud, but the beds were reasonably comfortable and the price was low. There was also a microwave and refrigerator in the room and cable with free HBO. Our microwave wasn't plugged in, as they had a bunch of stuff plugged into a surge protector strip (which I had to keep the baby away from), but I was able to plug it in easily enough.

The motel is also located next door to a Carl's Jr. that has a playground and near gas stations.

• Liked — The free breakfast, the large lawn area and pool. The price.
  • Disliked — Kind of run down.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank California Dude
Calgary
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2006

Well this hotel was ok for a one night stay, and the calico ghost town was of interest. The Laundry room wasn't really all the clean but usable. Our sink was plugged up and with no success they tried to unplug it. The receptionist seem to be ok, but seemed to be in arguement with the manager, and it seemed that other clients had problems. Prices were reasonable. the cleaniness could have been better but was ok. the hotel seems to be renovating and we had a huge garbage container outside or door and the tiles were torn ok the bath walls.

Stayed July 2006
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2006

Stayed for 1 night on our way home to Arizona. We didn't book the room through any website but found it through the Travel Coupon Guide. The desk clerk honored the walk-in coupon but added $5.00 for 2 qeens instead of 1 king. The room was large and although it could of been cleaner, it was good enough for a 1 nights stay. The bathroom did not have a fan and the toilet seat was rocky! There was a refrigerator and microwave in the room. There were renovations going on so it should be nicer once it's updated. The kids enjoyed the pool area and the free breakfast is in the forms of vouchers which are presented at the restaurant located on the premises. We have 3 children and our 16-year-old, who's almost 6 foot tall and eats like an adult, was considered a child at check-in and had to order from the children's menu selection. The head waiter did not seem too pleased to see our party of 10 (2 families traveling together) when we first entered the restaurant which made it somewhat uncomfortable. But otherwise, our stay here was adequate for our needs at the time.

1 Thank Iluvehotels
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2006

This place has to be the biggest scam I have ever seen. I paid $92.00 for a night that I would never forget. I had to switch rooms twice because the first room the bed was about 30 years old and was sinking on one side and in the second room there was heavy mildew in the bathroom. When I brougt this to the managers attention (John Wang) He didn't seem to really care asking me if I am sure that I actually saw mildew. It seemed like I was a problem to him rather then the hotel was the problem to me. He offered no compensation for my problems. I was truly dissapointed with this hotel for the price.

• Stayed April 2006