“Trip back in time”

Cuisines: American, Chinese
San Francisco, CA
“Trip back in time”
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I was able to have my children experience what so-called Chines food was like in 1950s California. Back when one ordred no.1 or no.2. When the egg flower soup was basically broth, and you ate mushy chop suey with crispy noodles, and egg fu yung with chicken gravy on it. A great time warp, but don't go except for the historical experience. The food is disgusting.

• Visited February 2011

Ghent, Belgium
“Cheap basic and unseasoned”
Reviewed April 13, 2011

This 'restaurant' smells, is old, ripped and not charming. The food is very cheap, big portions (except rice) but no seasoning and very very basic. Very little meat, no taste at all. Even our cokes tasted moldy. All in all not a good experience.

2 Thank Elke_dp24
Lancaster, California
“Crowded...but why?”
Reviewed July 3, 2010

Driving back from Las Vegas, my wife was getting hungry. We were driving down Main St., and saw the Canton Restaurant. She kinda hemmed and hawed, I said "Looks busy...there's lots of cars around it". So, we stopped in.

Impressions...
1. The owner greeted us, seemed very friendly (almost maniacally friendly!).
2. The restaurant wasn't the dirtiest one I've ever been in, but it was far from the cleanest. Under the front counter was a lot of, eh, stuff cluttering the area, and several bottles of liquor were thrown into the mix.
3. Prices were within reason for what you were ordering.
We ordered the house special Fish and Chips. My wife substituted fried rice for the french fries. The meal came with a salad, soup and drink (no refills on soda).
1. Soup was Egg Drop Soup. Almost no egg, bland tasting.
2. Salad was Dole Bag Salad, very watery. I ordered Blue Cheese dressing, got Ranch. And really watery Ranch dressing at that!
3. Wife said Fried Rice was good.
4. Fries were pretty ordinary...crinkle cut fries, the kind you got at every Route 66 diner when I was a kid, back when Route 66 actually existed. Seemed a little underdone.
5. My wife complains about the local H. Salt fish and chips place. The fish here made her nostalgic for our H. Salt.

Summary:
Maybe we hit them on an off day...seemed like there was a lot of business. Other reviewers seem to like them better than us, then again, the latest review is two years ago.

2 Thank JoeBob1955
torrance
“best in Barstow CA”
Reviewed September 15, 2008

I don't know what this reviews are talking about.. it was the best restaurant in Barstow.. food was great.. and very large portion and great prices.. service was great too.. very friendly. The owners were so nice and welcoming. If your driving by Barstow.. this is the place you have try.. trust me you won't regret it

2 Thank bunierep132
Riverside, California
“Back to the 60s - Canton-style”
Reviewed August 23, 2008

I just spent a week in Barstow on business. I love Chinese food, and some locals recommended the Canton Restaurant. It is very popular with locals and crowded at lunch. The menu has as many American items as Chinese, and the Chinese items are largely basic Cantonese dishes. It's not Asian fusion, and Szechuan/Mandarin/Hunan cuisine apparently has not yet been discovered middle-of-the-Mojave-Desert Barstow. But when you're here for a week, it's a non-risky change of pace.

1 Thank Celtlaw