“Was an OK place to see”

Rainbow Basin Natural Area
Ranked #3 of 16 things to do in Barstow
More attraction details
Owner description: This scenic desert area is good for hiking and other outdoor activities.
Amboy, California
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Was an OK place to see”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

It was an OK place to see; but having seen it, I think there are better, more interesting places to see in the area, like the train station museum, Mojave National Preserve and Calico Ghost town. To me, if you don't have much time, I would see the other areas first before checking this place out.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank HarryHendo

Reading, United Kingdom
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 145 helpful votes
“Worth a side trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Exciting- went early and got a sense of solitude and isolation. Managed to avoid getting lost! Well worth the effort

Visited September 2012
2 Thank RichieRock
CA, USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Desert color and adventure!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

A small off-road loop just a few miles north of Barstow which showcases lots of interesting rock formations and colorful scenery. The roads are unpaved and just a bit rocky but as I had a truck I didn't think they were a problem and had seen worse! I saw one car leaving as I arrived, but otherwise the trail was pretty empty--by that I mean pretty and empty, which gave me the ability to stop in the middle of the road to take photos. I didn't have time to stop at the trailhead and take a walk, so I haven't had the whole experience. I'm going to say a solid 4 out of 5 though, as the trail does need some maintaining. There were a few piles of beer cans at the pull out, and the latter half of the loop was unmarked, which could leave people lost as they try to decide which of the trails looked more or less traveled when they try to find their way back to the road. GPS signal will get you there and back though!

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Photogaffer
So Cal
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Melted Sherbert!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

This is a great drive to take the family on. Go north of Barstow and land in a moonscapelike atmosphere where you can let the kids get out to climb the colorful hills.

Visited May 2012
North Royalton, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Be Careful!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

The dirt roads are not clearly marked! While we will never, ever, forget our adventure of being lost in the Mojave Desert for nearly 2 hours, it is not something I would do again! Make sure that you turn left as you come out of the loop trail (even thought the right turn on the dirt road looked more travelled).

Visited July 2012