“Quirky Motel with Charater - A Good Stop-off on a Road Trip” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Route 66 Motel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Route 66 Motel
Ranked #10 of 29 Hotels in Barstow
Chester, United Kingdom
“Quirky Motel with Charater - A Good Stop-off on a Road Trip”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for one night whilst we were visiting California. We wanted to stay in an authentic motel like the kind you see in the movies, We weren't disappointed! The whole experience was great - and we felt like extras in a Quentin Tarantino film - he he he!
The owners were friendly and helpful.
The room was tired and worn in an endearing way. Although basic, It seemed to be fairly clean and had everthing you needed. The round bed was rather funny - and made us laugh.
The exterior of the motel is cool - lots of old cars etc.
If you're looking for a no frills stop off at a very low cost - you get what you pay for and we enjoyed our first authentic motel experience.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mrsdrake77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2009

I stayed at this motel for 5 nights during a US fieldtrip in April 2008. The exterior looks fairly interesting with old style cars and nostelgia dotted about. However the buildings are looking a bit worse for the wear, with flaking paint etc. The rooms are small and depressing with aged round beds being covered by blankets full of cigarette holes and stains. The carpets are old and filthy but the rooms don't smell all that bad given their general condition.

I was actually happily suprised to find an air conditioning unit in my room, however, my happiness soon evaporated when I discovered that it sounded more like industrial refrigeration than air con, making the nights either sweltering or deafening (I chose sweltering, but thats just my preference).

I guess with the rates it charges I shouldn't expect much more than the above, but I did expect my bed to be insect free. However my room, along with the rooms of the rest of my group, were teaming with bugs (of all shapes and sizes), they were on the floors, the walls, in the showers, and between the covers.

The worst incident with insects was when a friend of mine used my bathroom. As I was watching TV in the other room I heard a (very loud) scream, following this she ran out half in tears telling me about how beetles and run up her legs while she was on the toilet. I understand that cockroaches and beetles are fairly hard to get rid of, but this place seems to make no effort at all.

All in all this place was not worth even its bargin basement rate, there are other hotels on the same road which are much newer and in much better condition than this place and for the tiny bit more they charge you will get a lot more comfort and service.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2008

My husband and I stayed here one evening on our Route 66 travel adventures. It's a quaint little nostalgic motel with lots of stuff to see on the property. All the old cars were a big hit with my husband.

The owners were very friendly and attentive to our needs upon check-in. The room was clean and we loved the round bed! The accommodations were fun and adventurous. It was a great change from the commercialized motel chains. Just what we were looking for. Great value too.

• Liked — Fun and nostalgic atmosphere, Great value for a weekend stop
  • Disliked — Food choices limited within the same block as the property, but was referred to a good dinner house a few miles away
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SDsweetheart
Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2008

En route from LA to Vegas and after travelling for a number of hours we arrived late in the evening around 10pm in Barstow without any accomodation plans we passed Route 66 Motel and thought it looked be full of nostalgia..........how wrong we were. After being transported back into a 1970's room with you guessed it a Round bed we discoved a few extra extra roomates who were not sharing the bill. Our lovely green, round bed was full of little black bugs. Therefore, we shiftly packed and left with bites galore never ever to return to Route 66 Motel!!!!

Dianne & Darren
Northern Ireland Sep 2008

• Liked — Driving out of the carpark
  • Disliked — The bugs in the bed
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Wheelybin2222
Stawell, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2008

we stayed in this motel as part of our Route66 trip and were greeted by a very friendly proprietress. the room was comfortable and equipped with a new air condition (which was a little too noisy for my liking), microwave and fridge were available but sadly no coffee maker (we soon learnt how to make coffee in the microwave though).
the motel is one of the originals from the Route66 and had lots of old cars parked out in front, which added to the ambience.
access to our room was difficult though as it was semi blocked by one of the old cars,overall it was value for money though.

• Liked — friendly proprietors
  • Disliked — lack of exhaust fan in bathrooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2008

Nasty, nasty, nasty.........when I called to "reserve" a room, the hotel owner assured me it was "very clean". See I don't mind an old hotel, I do mind dirty. I guess everyone has their own Idea of what clean is. The shower curtain was once white but is now black with a back ground of white. You can see where there is mounds of dust and dirt in the corners of the floors and our bathtub looked like it had only maybe been rinsed but never cleaned. The towels were from the 70's and had tears in them.

I love the nostalgia of route 66 that is why we stayed there, but this hotel is plain gross! The only redeeming factor was the cool round beds, and even then there was a nasty stain on the boxspring.

To top off our stay we accidentally left a $20 bill at the front counter and the owner claimed she had not "seen" any $20 on the counter. Ummmm, there were no other guests that checked in after us. I would gladly pay extra money to stay at a cleaner more honest hotel. I guess they thought they deserved the extra money for their poorly run down motel.

Stayed May 2008
route66motel, manager at Route 66 Motel, responded to this review, June 29, 2008
The patron stated to us that "they enjoyed the room very much" and paid by credit card. If there was a major problem with any of the rooms, we would have changed rooms for them. As for the missing money, this property has always looking out for the interest of its guests, if they had lost anything, it would have been promptly returned. We are definitely not dishonest and enjoy our guests enjoying their stay with us.
North East
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2007

This motel is must for any one who is going to Barstow with Route 66 on their mind. Ved and Mridu (owners) are amazing persons. I checked in - as I was checking in Mridu presented me with the "history" note book - A MUST SEE!

This motel is NOT a Holiday Inn Express ("I'm not a photographer but last night I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express... bla bla bla)

The rooms and bed are clean. The configuration of the rooms is bit quirky (I like quirky) -

If your looking for a "paris Hilton experience" this is not your place. If you want to experience a character that seems too missing in today -- NOT a "corporate" cookie cutter serve me another big mac that tastes the same as the last big mac - You may learn a bit more about who you really are, and who you may become...

This is definitely your place!!!!

I absolutely love this place! This is an example of a time that seems to have moved past a majority of Americans.

Charles Miller
charles.miller@myfreeagent.com

• Liked — the service and the room
  • Disliked — the seemingly unknown nature of the historic landmark
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo