“Two's company......bugs are a crowd!!!!!”
Review of Route 66 Motel

and 1 more site!
Route 66 Motel
Ranked #10 of 29 Hotels in Barstow
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Two's company......bugs are a crowd!!!!!”
Reviewed October 18, 2008

En route from LA to Vegas and after travelling for a number of hours we arrived late in the evening around 10pm in Barstow without any accomodation plans we passed Route 66 Motel and thought it looked be full of nostalgia..........how wrong we were. After being transported back into a 1970's room with you guessed it a Round bed we discoved a few extra extra roomates who were not sharing the bill. Our lovely green, round bed was full of little black bugs. Therefore, we shiftly packed and left with bites galore never ever to return to Route 66 Motel!!!!

Dianne & Darren
Northern Ireland Sep 2008

• Liked — Driving out of the carpark
  • Disliked — The bugs in the bed
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Wheelybin2222

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Stawell, Australia
Reviewed July 7, 2008

we stayed in this motel as part of our Route66 trip and were greeted by a very friendly proprietress. the room was comfortable and equipped with a new air condition (which was a little too noisy for my liking), microwave and fridge were available but sadly no coffee maker (we soon learnt how to make coffee in the microwave though).
the motel is one of the originals from the Route66 and had lots of old cars parked out in front, which added to the ambience.
access to our room was difficult though as it was semi blocked by one of the old cars,overall it was value for money though.

• Liked — friendly proprietors
  • Disliked — lack of exhaust fan in bathrooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 20, 2008

Nasty, nasty, nasty.........when I called to "reserve" a room, the hotel owner assured me it was "very clean". See I don't mind an old hotel, I do mind dirty. I guess everyone has their own Idea of what clean is. The shower curtain was once white but is now black with a back ground of white. You can see where there is mounds of dust and dirt in the corners of the floors and our bathtub looked like it had only maybe been rinsed but never cleaned. The towels were from the 70's and had tears in them.

I love the nostalgia of route 66 that is why we stayed there, but this hotel is plain gross! The only redeeming factor was the cool round beds, and even then there was a nasty stain on the boxspring.

To top off our stay we accidentally left a $20 bill at the front counter and the owner claimed she had not "seen" any $20 on the counter. Ummmm, there were no other guests that checked in after us. I would gladly pay extra money to stay at a cleaner more honest hotel. I guess they thought they deserved the extra money for their poorly run down motel.

Stayed May 2008
route66motel, manager at Route 66 Motel, responded to this review, June 29, 2008
The patron stated to us that "they enjoyed the room very much" and paid by credit card. If there was a major problem with any of the rooms, we would have changed rooms for them. As for the missing money, this property has always looking out for the interest of its guests, if they had lost anything, it would have been promptly returned. We are definitely not dishonest and enjoy our guests enjoying their stay with us.
North East
Reviewed February 1, 2007

This motel is must for any one who is going to Barstow with Route 66 on their mind. Ved and Mridu (owners) are amazing persons. I checked in - as I was checking in Mridu presented me with the "history" note book - A MUST SEE!

This motel is NOT a Holiday Inn Express ("I'm not a photographer but last night I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express... bla bla bla)

The rooms and bed are clean. The configuration of the rooms is bit quirky (I like quirky) -

If your looking for a "paris Hilton experience" this is not your place. If you want to experience a character that seems too missing in today -- NOT a "corporate" cookie cutter serve me another big mac that tastes the same as the last big mac - You may learn a bit more about who you really are, and who you may become...

This is definitely your place!!!!

I absolutely love this place! This is an example of a time that seems to have moved past a majority of Americans.

Charles Miller
charles.miller@myfreeagent.com

• Liked — the service and the room
  • Disliked — the seemingly unknown nature of the historic landmark
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank mahtyr
Reviewed January 17, 2006

We found this not so ordinary little Route 66 Motel on our road trip to Las Vegas. Nice stop. Clean. Cool round beds. Nice folks. Lots of different things to see on the property. More interesting than a commercialized Holiday Inn. Check them out if you want something a little different from the norm.

• Stayed January 2006
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 8, 2005

I was in Barstow visiting the Route 66 attractions and happen to come across this motel. I was unsure at first, but come to find the property and all of its unique route 66 artifacts to be a lovely stay. I slept on their famous round beds!! So I was a 70's hugh for a night :) I also got a chance to take a lot of great pictures. Many wonderful memories. I highly recommend this place as a unique memory and must stay in Barstow.

• Stayed November 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 25, 2002

The Route 66 Motel in Barstow has quite the exterior with a large collection of old cars and lots of neon including the trademark Route 66 sign. However on the two occasions I stayed there (room 101 and 104) I found the property very poorly maintained with garbage under the beds, walls with several clearly visible patches and a uselessly small bathroom. Obviously no money is spent on maintaining this early motel. The sign promises the "best price in town" but reality is they are one of the highest, $35 on a recent weeknight. There is no heat in the rooms and a rickety central swampcooler suffices as air conditioning. The Barstow Budget Inn and their ilk down the road offer far better accomodations at lower prices. It is very clear that this motel survives on gimmicks it's Indian operators do absolutely nothing toward maintaining the property. Too bad other motel operators maintain their properties well. The verdict? Avoid this place at all costs!! 1!
2/02