“I did not expect to have these problems”

Comfort Suites Barstow
Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Barstow
Riverside
“I did not expect to have these problems”
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Nice bed and room amenities, continental breakfast, however, I ran into issues that I did not expect:
1. the non smoking room smelled a little of smoke
2. the shower towels reaked of cigarette smoke and were terrible, ugg.
3. the room heater/Ac unit fan would not turn off. Had to get desk service to talk me through resetting the unit on the wall. Finally had to get them to the room to turn off the fan.
4. The heated pool was not heated because the heater was broken.
5. the continental breakfast cinnamon rolls was musty.

Room Tip: Check the heater/AC unit upon arrival. If it doesn't work and needs to be reset repeatedly, ask...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
gm_caa22, Manager at Comfort Suites Barstow, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
I sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay. I want to thank you for bringing to our attention these issues so they may be resolved immediately. We take any complaints as constructive criticism. Please notify management before your departure next time so we can try to resolve these issues before you're left with a bad taste in your mouth. We want every single guest to leave happy. Hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Regina, Canada
Reviewed February 7, 2012

My wife, and two other couples had the opportunity to stay at the Comfort Suites at Barstow. My wife and I had earned our stay there through points and the other couples paid for their respective rooms. Our rooms were excellent and extremely clean. Our visit was highlighted by
a visit from the Manager to our room, Ms. Allison Cooper, a highly motivated and friendly individual who I enjoyed talking to.Ms. Cooper came to the room to assist me with a concern I had. After discussion with Ms. Cooper, my concern was immediately rectified and she showed a very personal interest. It was this management style shown by the Manager that was also displayed by other employee's at this location which certainly points out why under great management, they won a prestigious award for overall service. This is one great place to stay!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank John W
So glad you had the privelage of meeting our General Manager Alison Cooper. She is just as much a pleasure to work for. There are no questions as to why she was awarded Manager of the year by the Hotel & Lodging Association. She really does care about the guests at this hotel and ensures that every employee here feels the same. Thank you for the great review, hope to see you soon!
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed January 21, 2012

The only reason this review is labeled "very good" rather than "excellent" is that the bread at breakfast was not fresh. We loved everything else about breakfast and this hotel and the area it was in was convenient to restaurants and you felt safe. Loved the rooms and the beds and the cleanliness! Loved the front desk staff! Would definitely stay here again if in the area!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
gm_caa22, Manager at Comfort Suites Barstow, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Thank you for the great review! Our guests opinions mean everything to us and we really appreciate them. We want to make everyone happy and in order to do so your opinions are a must. I hope that on your next visit we will earn an "excellent" from you!
Sutton Coldfield
Reviewed January 10, 2012

Stayed on 26th Dec & so grateful I booked this as a stop-over between LA & Vegas as Highway 15 was a virtual car-park due to 'holiday traffic'. So nice to escape into the outdoor jacuzzi & watch the hideous traffic from a distance! Room was lovely & suited the 4 of us fine. Very clean, modern & fresh - high standards evident throughout the hotel. Situated close to small outlet shopping area, with good choice of restaurants around - we chose Chilli's & had a great meal. Nice breakfast provided - fairly basic choices but certainly everything we needed & very nice coffee. Enjoyed using the treadmill before setting off to brave the traffic - refreshed & revived. Overall, a very pleasant experience & welcome reprieve from travelling.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Zymotic
Wow sounds like you were able to use a little bit of everything we have to offer! That's great! And yes, we do hold very high standards in this hotel, hence our Platinum awards 2 years in a row now. Thank you very much for noticing and taking the time to let others know of your experience. We look forward to seeing you back!
Reviewed January 1, 2012

This hotel was very clean, obviously well taken care of. Staff was friendly, breakfast was a notch or two above your normal 'continental' breakfast. Finally, a hotel with good coffee and brand name creamers and sugars (substitutes). I can't tell you how many cups of hotel coffee I have thrown away in the last few months. I also loved how nice the bedding was, very cozy. The hotel is very very nice for the price!

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Mintjulip85
gm_caa22, Manager at Comfort Suites Barstow, responded to this review, January 10, 2012
Our guests all love the coffee! I myself drink it every morning to jump start my day. I prefer drinking the "Bold" option since I like my coffee just a bit stronger. We noticed the flavored creamers are very popular as well. This is why we keep ordering them. We let our guests tell us what to order. After all, you are the ones we are trying to impress! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and feel free to stop by for some coffee anytime!
Long Beach, California
Reviewed December 27, 2011

We stayed one night, Monday, December 26, and I would have to say it was one of the worst nights I have spent in my entire life. The hotel itself is new, so everything was clean, thats why I give it a 3 , but when it came to bedtime, our trouble began. We had turned off the heater and the A.C. but right around 12 midnite cold air started blowing from the heater. I thought I had not turned it to off, but there it was in the off position. I went back to bed thinking it was a fluke, but about 30 minutes later on it went again for about 45 seconds this blast of cold air. After going through this over and over, I decided to call the front desk, it was 2:30 a.m. She said that if I unplugged the unit from the wall, it would re-boot the unit and then everything would be fine. I did that. It didn't help. So I thought well I don't want cold air so I'll turn the heater on to 75 degrees, then it was too hot! It wasn't until in the morning around 7 a.m. that I was told by the person at the front desk that when you turn it to off, it still will blow and recycle the air! Oh how I wish I would have known that earlier! And why can't you just turn it off completely. They did reduce my bil by 10% because of our misery, so I am thankful for that. The other bad thing was the bedding. There was a lovely sheet set, very comfy, but then there was a thin blanket and the the duvet cover. The thin blanket was way too lite by itself, but when the duvet was on it was way too hot! Why can't hotels get it that there just needs to be one nicely weighted blanket...thats it! As far as the breakfast it was not as good as the Holiday Inn Express, and definitely not as good as Embassy Suites, but yet they advertise this as a full breakfast. Definitely not. The little pieces of ham were like lunch meat and the eggs were powdered but in a round shape. The only good thing was the continental stuff and the breakfast potatoes. They didn't even have hot chocolate for the kids. As for where its located, its a few blocks from the Tanger Outlets. Its definitely not in Barstow, its in Lenwood which is before Barstow. If you are by yourself or with one other person I suppose its ok, but with kids... no.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank nativecalifornian
I am sorry to hear that you did not have the most pleasurable stay at our hotel. Although we are #1 on Tripadvisor we are not perfect and things can go wrong. I do appreciate you notifying us of the faulty Heating/AC unit. Maintenance was able to take care of it before another guest had the same issue. I also want to thank you for giving us your opinion on the breakfast option we had the morning of your departure. We like to try out different food items to see what the guests prefer. I will have you know that we have now removed that item from our menu since it was not a popular pick. As far as the hot chocolate goes, we do offer that at our coffee bar. Please ask a front desk agent next time so they can get you some if you do not see it on display. Once again I am very sorry you were not as impressed as you should have been and I hope you can give us the opportunity to show you a pleasant stay in the future.
a
Reviewed December 23, 2011

I loved everything about Comfort Suites! We stayed in Barstow for one night while we were just passing through. I've never been to Barstow, so when we pulled into town and saw that everything seemed older and run down, I was nervous about what we would find at the hotel. But we were pleasantly surprised! The room was super clean, the beds were comfy, the staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful, and the free breakfast was absolutely delicious! When we checked out the next morning, my mom realized that she couldn't find her wedding ring. She went in to the front desk to ask if they would let her back in to look for it, and the employee went up and helped her search the room for her ring! There aren't many people who would do that for a stranger. We were so impressed. I don't have a single bad thing to say about our stay. If I'm ever in the area again, I would go out of my way to stay at Comfort Suites.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Wow it is stories like these that make me so proud of my staff! Talk about going above and beyond!! Thank you for sharing that. I am glad you had a pleasant stay and enjoyed our lovely property.