“Quite and friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 29 Hotels in Barstow
Barstow, California
“Quite and friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

My family and I stayed at the Sunset in for a little over a month at a great price.

The manager was great and very accommodating. This part of main street in barstow is quiet, uneventful, and seemed to be as safe as any other part of main street, and there is almost no day that goes by where you won't see a police car if you really look.

There are corner stores/mini marts literally walking distance in either direction, gas stations minutes away, and a McDonalds, a 99 cents only store, and starbucks, and large grocery store about 10 mins. away, and a walmart another few mins away, as is the 15 freeway to victorville or las vegas.

In short, we enjoyed our stay, especially for the price.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank thepeaceman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
Bakersfield, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

i am happy to stay here while i drives from Las Vegas to Los Angeles.
its great price value $30. with great services.
room was clean , services was great , free coffee in lobby, with free wifi in room .

Room Tip: $30 worth it !! you can not ask more in this price !!!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

Needing somewhere to stop off en route to Las Vegas, we made a booking at the Sunset Inn in Barstow. When we arrived the staff member was friendly and helpful although he did charge us a few extra dollars for the booking (excluding tax). The room was quite big but incredibly dirty. It was supposed to be non-smoking but smelt of smoke, the fridge was broken, the bedsheets were stained and the bath was full of spiders. Luckily we were only staying for one night. When checking out the next day, the staff member asked my partner if he'd left a tip and then asked him to give him some money in the foyer. It was awkward but we refused to be pressured into handing over cash and quickly escaped to the car. I wouldn't recommend this motel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank rmdoc

Travelers are raving about these Barstow hotels

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Well, I stayed here November 2012 through June 2012 after coming from the Topper next door. When I first checked in I loved the room! It was larger than the one next door and was much cleaner! As the months became longer, I started to grow tired of the service. (I lived here for 7 months, and at the Topper for 2, after getting kicked out of my home) so with that said, I got to know the owners well. Most of the time they were rude, but there were days that they were nice. Service cannot always come fast due to them being out running errands. I had to check my mail at the Topper next door, which I found out they steal mail! But, overall, my stay at the Sunset was great for the first month, but became depressing. I would recommend the Sunset, they have large rooms for a good price, even monthly rates are sort of decent.

• Stayed November 2012
Laguna Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

I came across Sunset Inn Barstow few months back when I saw their orange small building located next to Topper Motel. Topper Motel is known for weekly extended stay facilities. The same owners as Topper Motel (and few other motels) decided that it was time to recreate the building. Few years ago, they have rebuilt this motel from scratch to give it a "Spanish" looking outdoor.
The first thing that attracted me was their light orange outdoor with little plants/palm trees outside. Their parking lot still needs some work but they have more than enough space to park for 20 rooms that they have. The owners have dedicated this motel as "visitors only" at a very special price.
I travel through barstow a lot and there are many other hotels in Barstow that I have stayed at but this was something i wanted to try after seeing construction going on for few months last year. So i took the risk, and boy did it paid off.
Price they charged was special price since I came in on weekday (lowest i have paid at any independent hotel) Their doors are maroon colored with white strips around it. As soon as i entered, i had a "new carpet" smell. My wife loved the room and told me to go fill out the information. I filled it out and came back to find granite finished countertops with PRACTICALLY 15 different towels. they had unpacked toothbrush/ironboard/coffeemaker/etc in the room. The bed was king and very comfy with thin mattress.
Bathroom was very clean and organized. They had complimentary breakfast and wifi had no problems at all (free). All that for under 50/night was a deal yet to be beaten. They also had given me coupons for local restaurants. I tried costa azul across the street for less than 10 bucks for both of us, thanks to their discounts.

Some of you might find it that its location to be in the middle but for the value/service 1 block is totally worth it. In this economy, i try to save much as i can so I have been going to this place for last 5 months every time and I have had little problems. The NEW reconstructed Sunset Inn is awesome and totally worth your money in this ECONOMY!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Sam_Nadalopo_Jr
CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

Okay, I read all these reviews I decided to make reservations for myself and my daughter to stay while I was handling some business. There is no free breakfast, nor was there a place to even serve the free breakfast. The lobby was dark, under decorated, and had likely not been painted in years. Even the free brochures were dirty and dusty. The outside was freshly painted, but the parking lot was cracked and uneven, and had trash blowing around it. The room itself had filthy carpet, black widow spider webs in the corner, badly worn curtains, linens, and the shower curtain had slits in it. There was a refridgerator in the corner of the bathroom, but there was also a heavy coating of dust on it. The tub was so dirty I would not risk taking a shower. The worst part of the stay was the rodent that crawled in bed with me, and the obviously leaking sewer under the room. I left the hotel before midnight and checked into the Holiday Inn Express down the road. To top it off, the staff was rude and thought I had problems because I complained about the rodents in the room. Even the floor was sinking as I walked across it. Skip this place. I have also reported it to the department of health and the chamber of commerce for Barstow. Go ANYWHERE else.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
6 Thank rnoheisenberg
Las Vegas, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

I loved the Sunset Inn. It was really new and I barely had any problems. The outside was seen really new and freshly painted. Inside the room was new towels, linens, microwaves, refridgerators, and brandly new done bathrooms. New bathrooms and patio just makes a perfect stay. They also have a full free breakfast.
Room service was also good. Internet had any problems.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business