“good value for low budget”
Review of Sunset Inn

and 1 more site!
Sunset Inn
Ranked #22 of 29 Hotels in Barstow
Northern California and New Mexico
“good value for low budget”
Reviewed October 4, 2008

Have you ever wanted to stop at one of those dinky non-chain hotels on the side of the road, but never did. Me too, until Sunset Inn in Barstow. Based on trip advisor reviews we went for it and were pleasantly surprised. No frills, (no microwave or frig no breakfast, well worn - but clean - towels), but the room was clean, walls solid, the bed comfortable and pets are welcome (10 bucks extra).

In Barstow there is East Main Street with all the neon lights and fast foods and then there is West Main Street with.....The Sunset Inn...so if you don't mind staying on the desolate side of town this place is fine. One tip, pay the with cash if you don't want to have your credit card number written down on the old style credit card slips (no fancy new credit card machine).

Stayed October 2008
12 Thank Keythirteen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
New Jersey
Reviewed September 23, 2008

After reading about their recent renovations, I decided to stay at the Sunset Inn for 2 nights. I just needed a place to spend 2 nights while doing some traveling between CA & NV. The hotel is located on the main strip in Barstow, and there are restaurants (local Mexican, Denny's, fast food) and gas stations, convenience stores close by.

I arrived after a very long trip and just wanted to take a shower and go to sleep. I will say the manager is very nice and had everything ready for me.

Get my key (stayed in Rm 101) and go in. Turn on the lights...yes the room is nicely painted and the bathroom and vanity are new and very nice. New tiling on the floor. But the carpet. Wow, I guess either they ran out of money or didn't think it needed to be changed. But in an instant I knew there was no way I was going to be walking around barefoot on there.

Go to take a shower, move the curtain and there is a roach on the side of the tub. Chasing that thing out of the bathroom trying to kill it, I see another one scurrying across the carpet. I'm just thoroughly disgusted. I hate hate hate roaches. Now, i know this isn't the Ritz or the Hilton and I wasn't expecting it to be first class. But I think just being clean is all I would have wanted.

Turn on the water and there is no hot water...finally after about 3-4 minutes of letting the water run, I finally get some hot water and take my shower. By the time I get out, now I'm paranoid of something else and checked over the bed. Thankfully everything was fine and it was even comfortable to sleep on.

The next night when I returned after being out all day I was relieved to see there were no roaches.

So, in closing:
Pluses - bathroom and vanity are nice and new. Bed was comfortable.

Minuses - the ROACHES, carpet, and the hot water that takes forever to come up.

I don't know if the other rooms still have the old nasty carpet, but my room sure did.

• Liked — Bathroom
  • Disliked — Carpet, roaches
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank Spanisheyes00
john1313, Manager at Sunset Inn, responded to this review, October 25, 2008
The room problem is now completely solved. We were not aware of this problem and this was our first problem with "roaches."

Our linens are always clean and we have not had problems with any of the customers. The room rented was the last room available and now the carpet (with coffee stain) is changed to the new carpet.

Every problem in this case has been take care of.

Travelers are raving about these Barstow hotels