“Small, Smelly Room; Very Disappointing”

Hotel Restaurant Galena Mas Comangau
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Begur
Reviewed October 7, 2012

The hotel came recommended, but my room was small, dank, smelly and dark. My friend's room was lighter and larger, but dusty and shabby. The public spaces are nice, but the private rooms are not. Whole place smelled of cigarette smoke.

Dinner was promised, but the restaurant was closed the night we arrived. We were sent to a tourist dive down the road. Breakfast was sumptuous and left us wanting for the dinner we did not have the night before.

We stayed here as part of a package, so I don't know how much the actual cost was. But given the choice, I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, avoid room 6. I was told it was the old wine cellar, and the only thing that...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Global-Villagerr
GalenaMasComangau, Gerente at Hotel Restaurant Galena Mas Comangau, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

I thank you for your information and sorry is not able to enjoy the night stay in our house.

In this regard I am pleased to inform you that, every room in our farmhouse are different, being his friend one of the most spacious rooms.

The room you occupied,was recently renovated, offers bathroom door and cedar in wood from Lebanon, which gives off a characteristic smell of the wood. In the rooms and other public areas are non-smoking. For this purpose, the terraces are enabled .
The restaurant has a open chimney, which is commonly used throughout the winter and always leaves a characteristic smell wood burning in the main salon.

From September to June, our resturante closed one day a week, which includes information on our facility, while it previously communicated to our customers and partners.
The contracted stays in half board, during the closing days of the restaurant, for lunch or dinner, are provided in a collaborator Restaurant, located 150 meters from our hotel, direction of the center of the town.

I appreciate your impressions, which help me to improve our services

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed at Hotel Galena Mas Comangau for 4 nights in early September. Orginally, we were looking at towns and hotels along the water but was so glad we chose Begur and this hotel instead.
The hotel is in a beautiful stone building with a wonderful terrace for dining. The buffet breakfast was excellent and included breads, cheese, meats, fruit, and eggs among many other items. The service was excellent and everyone was so kind when we struggled with the very little Spanish we used to try to communicate. The rooms and bathrooms were comfortable and very large by European standards. We were in Begur during the Cuban Festival and Galena Mas Comangau was situated perfectly for visiting town as well as touring the area and beaches. As others have commented - Miguel is extremely helpful and offers great advice. While we visited when the weather was warm, because there is a fireplace in the dining room and a number of areas (including some in the lower level) to gather with friends and relax, we think this would also be a great choice during the colder months. We really enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend the hotel to anyone looking for a place to stay in Costa Brava.

Room Tip: Chose a room with a terrace
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We have just returned from 4 nights at Galena Mas Comangau as part of a 10 day stay in Spain with these 4 nights being the most comfortable and relaxing of the whole trip.

As others have said, the breakfast, hospitality, dinner and accommodation were excellent.

Miguel and his family are very welcoming and make you feel that you're in a home away from home.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I finished my month-long Spain trip in the best hotel of my adventure. The cozy room and big views made it a perfect end to my trip, and a quiet getaway from my previous four days in Barcelona. Begur is VERY small, so walking five minutes into the downtown area was not an issue for me. I arrived in bus. I also hiked down to one of the beach trails using Miguel's maps and directions. If I needed anything, he and the staff were amazingly helpful. They even gave me a scooter tutorial before I took off for Figueres one day.
The restaurants in town are fabulous, but make sure you enjoy one dinner at Mas Comangau. Breakfast is worth it, too. Tortilla de patatas, croissants, fresh fruit, and Spanish meats kept me full through lunch. The rooms have air conditioning and heating, but the weather was so pleasant that I did not need it, even in early August.
I am already trying to figure out when and how to return to this perfect place. It would be a great honeymoon destination or mother-daughter trip. Thanks again, Miguel.

Room Tip: I was traveling alone, so I stayed in the cellar room...a couple would prefer a room with a terrace.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Within a few minutes walking distance of Begur, this charming little hotel was a welcome escape from the touristy beaches of the Costa Brava.

We stayed there for one night during July 2012 on our way through the area, and had a really enjoyable time.

Pleasant and friendly staff were ready to assist and offered helpful advise and assistance.

We were late in booking the room, so ended up in a cheap but small double room. It didn't matter to us that it was a bit cramped, but perhaps worthwhile inquiring if this matters to you.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We stayed three nights at the hotel in July 2012 and were very pleased. The owner Miguel was extremely nice and very helpful, as were all the staff. Miguel speaks very good English. The hotel is a converted old farmhouse that tumbles down a hill just outside the main shopping area of Begur, an upscale town with many restaurants. We paid extra for a superior rooms and were very happy we did. The room was comfortable and ours (a converted stable on the side of the property) had a nice patio where we enjoyed sitting. Breakfast is terrific, particularly if you can snag a seat on the terrace that has a wonderful view to the West. The hotel is a bit out of town and on a slightly busy road, but the road noise was minimal in the evening and the walk into the shops and restaurants in the main part of town took about 5 or 6 minutes. We actually enjoyed staying a bit out of town, in part because the parking was easy and the views from the property are superb.
We ate at the restaurant one night and it was pleasant but we thought fairly expensive and the food was so-so.

Room Tip: Superior rooms with terrace looked to be worth the money. I saw some standard rooms that looked very...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2012

What we got was quite different from what we were expecting. It was decent but not great. The building is quaint and the staff very freindly and accommodating. The location is very convenient to walk into the old village. The breakfast is good and overall the value is reasonable. They could make this a better venue by upgrading the furnishings in the rooms and the beds, which are very hard. The terrace was large but it is shared with 2 other rooms with the separation being done with some planters with small foliage in them resulting in no privacy. There are also power lines at the end of it that are less than appealing.We were in room 10, accessed through a door that also access 8 and 9. We had the best of the 3. The upgraded rooms are in a different area and appeared to be quite dark. I am not sure they would be worth the upcharge. The breakfast was very good but there seemed to be no activity at dinner, which was a surprise. Hoever there are many neat tapas cafes in town. All in all we quite liked Begur and this location was very handy. The owners would do well to spiffy the place up at a bit.

Room Tip: For the basic rooms 10 is better than 8 or 9.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Begur
1 mi away
#4 of 14 in Begur
Salles Hotel & Spa Cala del Pi
Salles Hotel & Spa Cala del Pi
#1 of 32 in Platja d'Aro

Been to Hotel Restaurant Galena Mas Comangau? Share your experiences!